What's a fair price for the following work: - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
My issue with dealers is the charge for jobs by a rate card. Will charge above if the job takes longer ... Stuck fastner etc. But never lower.
That's how probably 90% of shops charge for any given job. Labour guide books are just for dealers. No mechanic works to make 40hrs a week, you just can't make a living doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
This is out of my ass...
Pick up KY before you go there. It will hurt less when you get shafted.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:41 AM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Too bad you didn't message me. You could have come up with the parts and and we knocked it out in a morning.
thanks man, I appreciate that. This was the first time something significant went wrong with the truck & was a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I'm planning on picking up a second vechicle so there's less pressure to hurry this back on the road if something goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

@ $100/hr which most competent Independents are now I would expect $800-$1200 with you bringing all the parts(bearings/seals/calipers/pads/lines/rotors). If it's more then that I would slap 'em in the nuts and not go back again. Some shops still use RTS as a base for pricing and then +/- for broken bits and rusty hard to remove items.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
@ $100/hr which most competent Independents are now I would expect $800-$1200 with you bringing all the parts(bearings/seals/calipers/pads/lines/rotors). If it's more then that I would slap 'em in the nuts and not go back again. Some shops still use RTS as a base for pricing and then +/- for broken bits and rusty hard to remove items.
No Land Rover tech is going to do customer pay work for warranty times. I would expect them to multiply the warranty time by 1.5-2. The reason for this is because the warranty times are based off of a new vehicle with all of the tools laid out and nothing is seized or broken. For example, the warranty time on a Disco 2 short block is 12 hrs. Its possible to do the job in that amount of time, but you would really be busting ass, and probably not cleaning anything very well.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Tomorrow we are officially raising prices.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:01 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
Tomorrow we are officially raising prices.
Thats a damn shame... sent ya'll an email last week looking for a quote. Do I get last weeks prices or this weeks?

Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Book times:
Replace all discs: 2.65hr
Renew all hoses: 1.85
Bleed: .80 (I don't know if that's included in the renew hoses time, but I would think so)
Renew hub bearings per axle: 1.50 (should be much less since hubs are removed to replace disks. Maybe .5 per axle)

Calipers: 2.05 but there should be no labor for this since they have to be completely removed to replace rotors and lines. If they charge you labor time for them then disc replacement time should be reduced significantly.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

5 hours is standard time , but there are many variables in a full brake job with new calipers , some of the time the hard line from caliper to hose has to be fabricated, bearings have to be cleaned inspected and packed which is not part of the LR book time , also this is when they find a leaking stub axle seal which pushed the brake job cost up dramatically. not to mention when replacing the hoses can run into steel line replacement due to corrosion .. there's a lot of variables involved so make sure your tech is honest and explains the problems so there's no surprise when the bill comes
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
No Land Rover tech is going to do customer pay work for warranty times. I would expect them to multiply the warranty time by 1.5-2. The reason for this is because the warranty times are based off of a new vehicle with all of the tools laid out and nothing is seized or broken. For example, the warranty time on a Disco 2 short block is 12 hrs. Its possible to do the job in that amount of time, but you would really be busting ass, and probably not cleaning anything very well.
So basically LR pay the dealer 12hrs to do the job .... and the tech has to haul ass and take shortcuts?

If a customer wants the job doing it costs considerably more .... do you think the tech would do the job any differently?

If I want to be f'd over by someone I'll visit a dominatrix ... not a LR dealer ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
So basically LR pay the dealer 12hrs to do the job .... and the tech has to haul ass and take shortcuts?

If a customer wants the job doing it costs considerably more .... do you think the tech would do the job any differently?

If I want to be f'd over by someone I'll visit a dominatrix ... not a LR dealer ...

This is the nature of the beast .. most flat rate techs do not have a weekly guaranty meaning if you produce 20 hrs for the week you get paid just that. So dealer techs have to step up their game and produce by any means possible via short cuts over quoting jobs ect... ...customer paid jobs is the best producer of time but if your quick and efficient you can't make it on LR book time alone ..
i can rant on about working in a dealer for hours but that's one of the reasons i got out,
LR started cutting all warranty times thus causing the techs to work harder to produce the same time so then the customers get raped to make up the difference ...
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:35 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
This is the nature of the beast .. most flat rate techs do not have a weekly guaranty meaning if you produce 20 hrs for the week you get paid just that. So dealer techs have to step up their game and produce by any means possible via short cuts over quoting jobs ect... ...customer paid jobs is the best producer of time but if your quick and efficient you can't make it on LR book time alone ..
i can rant on about working in a dealer for hours but that's one of the reasons i got out,
LR started cutting all warranty times thus causing the techs to work harder to produce the same time so then the customers get raped to make up the difference ...
yeah, yeah, yeah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	80597  
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd10014 View Post
yeah, yeah, yeah
Actually ... I think Rovertek is supporting the argument that dealer charging is inherently flawed from a value / quality perspective in favor of the dealer and against the customer.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Actually ... I think Rovertek is supporting the argument that dealer charging is inherently flawed from a value / quality perspective in favor of the dealer and against the customer.
I know, Chris is the man - I'm just playing.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

The franchised dealer is more expensive for all products. Cars, ATV's, chainsaws, lawn mowers,vacuum cleaners, whatever. But they have much higher overhead. Dealers have to buy special tools, computers, lifts, alignment equipment etc. everything is mandated by the factory.
They have to be there for warranty work.
No one should ever go to a dealer and then bitch about the prices, unless one has a lower than average IQ.
Also everyone complains about the dealer unil they don't have one. Let's face it, the dealer is really there for warranty work and at a LR dealer for customer service. The people that go to the dealer want loaner cars, cars washed, free shuttle service, fancy lounge with WS tv, someone to kiss ass and make them feel important. Mostly these are A type personalities of high net worth with busy schedules. They want service and they will pay for it.
For the most part no one on this forum should ever darken the doors of a LR dealer. Not because we're poor but because we value other services.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
The franchised dealer is more expensive for all products. Cars, ATV's, chainsaws, lawn mowers,vacuum cleaners, whatever. But they have much higher overhead. Dealers have to buy special tools, computers, lifts, alignment equipment etc. everything is mandated by the factory.
They have to be there for warranty work.
No one should ever go to a dealer and then bitch about the prices, unless one has a lower than average IQ.
Also everyone complains about the dealer unil they don't have one. Let's face it, the dealer is really there for warranty work and at a LR dealer for customer service. The people that go to the dealer want loaner cars, cars washed, free shuttle service, fancy lounge with WS tv, someone to kiss ass and make them feel important. Mostly these are A type personalities of high net worth with busy schedules. They want service and they will pay for it.
For the most part no one on this forum should ever darken the doors of a LR dealer. Not because we're poor but because we value other services.
My issues is not the value proposition .... its the fact that my invoice for work is basically a misrepresentation.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
for the record Todd and Jimmy both work for dealerships

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

I think we'll resume this conversation over cocktails..Via NYC meet up ..
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
good, I need brakes on the 110.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:03 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
yep ... are we meeting this thursday ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing