What would you do? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 1st, 2014, 05:00 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

What would you do?

Hi all. So I made a business agreement with a buddy mechanic. His end of the bargain is to provide me free labor on my 94 Defender for an entire year. I don't plan on abusing the agreement with too much work. However, he's in the process now of switching out the distributor to a Mallory setup. Since we are working on the electrical, I'm wondering if I should invest in working on the ECU. Suggestions?

I've been dealing with overheating issues. He's confident he can fix it. Swapping out the radiator with a re-cored one will also be in the plans.

He's also swapping out the oil cooler lines with reinforced braided ones.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2014, 05:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking which other things you should have him work on over the next 12 months? Are you asking about other things he should look at because of your overheating issues? Are you asking if it's worth it to work on the ECU? Is something actually wrong with the ECU?
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:52 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Id agree a number of hours ... Because if a simple rad swap doesnt cure the over heating ... You are going to be looking at a head gasket swap and that's gonna take a while.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2014, 06:01 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking which other things you should have him work on over the next 12 months? Are you asking about other things he should look at because of your overheating issues? Are you asking if it's worth it to work on the ECU? Is something actually wrong with the ECU?
Joshua, sorry about that. I guess I want to know if changing out the ECU is a good idea in general as the D90 is 20 years old. Is their any chance the ECU has anything to do with overheating?

I've read about ECU relocation kits.

Ok maybe my brain is going too fast...too much coffee too late in the day.
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Changing the ECU is not necessary and is highly unlikely to be related to the overheating.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:10 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Changing the ECU is not necessary and is highly unlikely to be related to the overheating.
Ok thanks!
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:33 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

When is it overheating..?. If it is overheating in city traffic it's more likely your fan clutch.. If it's overheating after driving for a while on the road it's likely a partially blocked radiator.. I recommend all of my defender, disco1, rc owners to have their rad rodded out every five years.. They HAVE to take one tank off and push a rod through each of the cooling tubes.. None of this flushing shite.. Old school radiator shops will know what you are talking about.. Overheating is the rover engines biggest enema...enemy..
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:33 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
When is it overheating..?. If it is overheating in city traffic it's more likely your fan clutch.. If it's overheating after driving for a while on the road it's likely a partially blocked radiator.. I recommend all of my defender, disco1, rc owners to have their rad rodded out every five years.. They HAVE to take one tank off and push a rod through each of the cooling tubes.. None of this flushing shite.. Old school radiator shops will know what you are talking about.. Overheating is the rover engines biggest enema...enemy..
Thanks Shayne. Most of the overheating was from offroading and idling. Great advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions