What would you do? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:00 PM
EnduroPro's Avatar
EnduroPro
Status: Offline
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Woodbury, CT
Posts: 533
What would you do?

Hi all. So I made a business agreement with a buddy mechanic. His end of the bargain is to provide me free labor on my 94 Defender for an entire year. I don't plan on abusing the agreement with too much work. However, he's in the process now of switching out the distributor to a Mallory setup. Since we are working on the electrical, I'm wondering if I should invest in working on the ECU. Suggestions?

I've been dealing with overheating issues. He's confident he can fix it. Swapping out the radiator with a re-cored one will also be in the plans.

He's also swapping out the oil cooler lines with reinforced braided ones.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:36 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking which other things you should have him work on over the next 12 months? Are you asking about other things he should look at because of your overheating issues? Are you asking if it's worth it to work on the ECU? Is something actually wrong with the ECU?
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:52 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Id agree a number of hours ... Because if a simple rad swap doesnt cure the over heating ... You are going to be looking at a head gasket swap and that's gonna take a while.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:01 PM
EnduroPro's Avatar
EnduroPro
Status: Offline
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Woodbury, CT
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking which other things you should have him work on over the next 12 months? Are you asking about other things he should look at because of your overheating issues? Are you asking if it's worth it to work on the ECU? Is something actually wrong with the ECU?
Joshua, sorry about that. I guess I want to know if changing out the ECU is a good idea in general as the D90 is 20 years old. Is their any chance the ECU has anything to do with overheating?

I've read about ECU relocation kits.

Ok maybe my brain is going too fast...too much coffee too late in the day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Changing the ECU is not necessary and is highly unlikely to be related to the overheating.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:10 PM
EnduroPro's Avatar
EnduroPro
Status: Offline
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Woodbury, CT
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Changing the ECU is not necessary and is highly unlikely to be related to the overheating.
Ok thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:33 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
When is it overheating..?. If it is overheating in city traffic it's more likely your fan clutch.. If it's overheating after driving for a while on the road it's likely a partially blocked radiator.. I recommend all of my defender, disco1, rc owners to have their rad rodded out every five years.. They HAVE to take one tank off and push a rod through each of the cooling tubes.. None of this flushing shite.. Old school radiator shops will know what you are talking about.. Overheating is the rover engines biggest enema...enemy..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:33 PM
EnduroPro's Avatar
EnduroPro
Status: Offline
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Woodbury, CT
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
When is it overheating..?. If it is overheating in city traffic it's more likely your fan clutch.. If it's overheating after driving for a while on the road it's likely a partially blocked radiator.. I recommend all of my defender, disco1, rc owners to have their rad rodded out every five years.. They HAVE to take one tank off and push a rod through each of the cooling tubes.. None of this flushing shite.. Old school radiator shops will know what you are talking about.. Overheating is the rover engines biggest enema...enemy..
Thanks Shayne. Most of the overheating was from offroading and idling. Great advice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could pick out a new winch bumper -- what would you pick? Dragon Breath Defender Technical Discussions 14 September 5th, 2013 02:27 PM
If you had your bulkhead out, what else would you do? aclarke Defender Technical Discussions 11 August 22nd, 2013 12:15 PM
If you were going install a gigantic amplifier in a D90, where would you mount it? Neil McCauley Defender Technical Discussions 11 November 19th, 2010 08:19 PM
Brake options - what would you do in a pinch? cgalpin Defender Technical Discussions 7 April 9th, 2008 08:20 AM
would you buy a '97 d-90 with 60k & no service rcd tomken Defender Technical Discussions 8 November 17th, 2003 08:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Copyright