What would you do? - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Run it on a higher than normal antifreeze ratio ... That will give you extra cooling power.
My understanding is that it raises the boiling point, but lowers the cooling capacity. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard straight water would cool better than a mix. Obviously you wouldn't want to run straight water, but that's just what I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
WW isn't designed to drop the temps-it elimates hot spots in the cylinder heads.

http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per...ter_wetter.htm

My co-worker started using it in his drag car and said engine temp lowered by about 10F. They can't use antifreeze on the drag strip.
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:28 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
My understanding is that it raises the boiling point, but lowers the cooling capacity. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard straight water would cool better than a mix. Obviously you wouldn't want to run straight water, but that's just what I've heard. My co-worker started using it in his drag car and said engine temp lowered by about 10F. They can't use antifreeze on the drag strip.
Jimmy you are right ... Adjusting the mix up to 70% anti freeze does raise the boiling point and does slightly lower the cooling capacity. However boiling over and losing all cooling capacity is going to kill the engine ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions