What would you do? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 13th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Shayne....I just live with the lifter noise. I have the crowder 5229 cam and alar lifters. They do exactly what you state above. I have put an oil additive in there to help out and that seems to quiten it down a lot. But such is life.
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Shayne....I just live with the lifter noise. I have the crowder 5229 cam and alar lifters. They do exactly what you state above. I have put an oil additive in there to help out and that seems to quiten it down a lot. But such is life.
Are you sure its not the liner moving?

http://youtu.be/qmVI1gza9kQ
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yup, it is a total rebuild. Went thru two sets of lifters.
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
One vote for giving it the famous (in Nova Scotia) Robert Davis treatment and throw an OM617 in it. They idle very nicely.
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:09 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I've never see the liners move like that... In order for them to be that loose they would have to be totally shagged...and I would have to think that there would be a lot of crankcase pressure.. With them that loose there must be excessive combustion pressures getting past the liner to block at the upper area and then into the crankcase through the lower sealing area..I guess that could generate the same noises, but that wouldn't explain why it goes away for a while when an oil change is done or a good additive is added.....Bottom line is either way it's not a viable repair... Just swap everything Into the 95-02 4.0 or just pick up a 95-02 range 4.6 engine..
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
In Newman's Callaway you can hear what he says is the liner slapping up and down on one cyl. He drives it everywhere, just waiting for it to blow.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
One vote for giving it the famous (in Nova Scotia) Robert Davis treatment and throw an OM617 in it. They idle very nicely.
Never going to happen for me. If I went diesel I would go TD5, and if funds were tight I'd do a 300 tdi. I have no interest in putting anything other than a Land Rover motor in my truck. I get the appeal of the GM and Mercedes swaps, but they're just not for me. I've never worked on anything other than Land Rovers.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on some top hat liners, cam, lifters, bearings, and piston rings tomorrow. I'm going to reuse my rotating assembly.
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
you clearly know the recipe for a hot rover v8 if youve been around them. build that 4.6 up and let it roll.

ive done the entire top end on my range rover, ive used alot of zinc in that engine since i went through the top half. it sounds like shit runs like shit but refuses to stop, i have not checked the oil pressure or the compression in two years and i refuse too. itll get to 220 and eventually cool off.

shit on that omwhatever engine. anything less than the td5 is a waste of time. unless youre in bumfuck botswanna or the outback those old tdis are ideal. if you find yourself in these areas and have half a brain youll be at the helm of a land cruiser.

LS swaps are the future
Old July 14th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post

LS swaps are the future
Those will never be in my future!
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:34 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Well I did not see mention of the fan clutch. Have you swapped that out with another to troubleshoot its function? Can you hear the pitch of the fan change when it should be locking up to direct drive and pushing more air through the hot radiator to cool the engine.
This is a reason I had the clutchless fan hubs made to keep the air moving in situations like you are describing where your temperatures are climbing.
And I would never run a stock radiator on that large of a motor in a D90. Simply not enough cooling capacity for that engine. You need an over sized and /or aluminum radiator in my opinion. This is the time of year when the problems will present themselves.
I am also a big fan of the copper coating on head gaskets during reassembly. The factory coating is not very substantial.

Good Luck

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Well I did not see mention of the fan clutch. Have you swapped that out with another to troubleshoot its function? Can you hear the pitch of the fan change when it should be locking up to direct drive and pushing more air through the hot radiator to cool the engine.
This is a reason I had the clutchless fan hubs made to keep the air moving in situations like you are describing where your temperatures are climbing.
And I would never run a stock radiator on that large of a motor in a D90. Simply not enough cooling capacity for that engine. You need an over sized and /or aluminum radiator in my opinion. This is the time of year when the problems will present themselves.
I am also a big fan of the copper coating on head gaskets during reassembly. The factory coating is not very substantial.

Good Luck
The fan and fan clutch have been replaced with new aftermarket RRC parts. The 11 blade RRC fan moves a lot more air and sits closer to the radiator, which is a plus when removing it as a normal wrench will fit easily. In my opinion, the stock radiator is more than adequate.
Old July 15th, 2014, 05:52 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Well I see your point about the different fan clutch and agree that getting the coil of the fan clutch closer to the radiator is much more effective.

But I will have to disagree with you about the size of the radiator. And I have considerable experience with engine conversions and what it takes to get it right. You may end up doing a lot of busy work and spending a considerable amount of money to learn that I am correct.

Bottom line is if you are looking for advice, mine is the most vetted in this thread. and you seem to just want people to agree with what you already have decided to do. The extra work you are considering doing is a waste of time until you update your radiator.

Also the 11 blade fan from a RRC is made to turn the other direction. So the reality is that your problem may also be occuring because you put your fan bade on the wrong direction. I have watched that happen a few times trying to help people from afar correct overheating issues.

Old July 15th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Well I see your point about the different fan clutch and agree that getting the coil of the fan clutch closer to the radiator is much more effective.

But I will have to disagree with you about the size of the radiator. And I have considerable experience with engine conversions and what it takes to get it right. You may end up doing a lot of busy work and spending a considerable amount of money to learn that I am correct.

Bottom line is if you are looking for advice, mine is the most vetted in this thread. and you seem to just want people to agree with what you already have decided to do. The extra work you are considering doing is a waste of time until you update your radiator.

Also the 11 blade fan from a RRC is made to turn the other direction. So the reality is that your problem may also be occuring because you put your fan bade on the wrong direction. I have watched that happen a few times trying to help people from afar correct overheating issues.

I respect your opinion and I've spent enough time around Land Rover forums to know that you know your shit. As far as radiator size goes, maybe you are right, but my overheating issue is not normal. I should be able to drive in city traffic without it overheating. No one else in NYC is complaining of this issue. I posted here to get peoples opinions on whether they would try head gaskets or just put a block in it.

A V-belt water pump turns the same way on a Defender and a Range Rover Classic. I fitted a V-belt fan with the fan clutch, I didn't even know a serpentine belt fan would work on a V-belt fan clutch.
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I respect your opinion and I've spent enough time around Land Rover forums to know that you know your shit. As far as radiator size goes, maybe you are right, but my overheating issue is not normal. I should be able to drive in city traffic without it overheating. No one else in NYC is complaining of this issue. I posted here to get peoples opinions on whether they would try head gaskets or just put a block in it.

A V-belt water pump turns the same way on a Defender and a Range Rover Classic. I fitted a V-belt fan with the fan clutch, I didn't even know a serpentine belt fan would work on a V-belt fan clutch.
I've idled my sh*tbox on the trails all day in 90* heat, drove from DC to NY (7hours) in that heatwave we had last summer or the summer before...didn't budge on temp. I didn't like it, but the truck didn't mind one bit. Stop & go or sitting shouldn't affect it - and I'm running the stock radiator and nothing else fancy.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 15th, 2014, 07:58 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
V-belt fans definitely spin the same way
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I've idled my sh*tbox on the trails all day in 90* heat, drove from DC to NY (7hours) in that heatwave we had last summer or the summer before...didn't budge on temp. I didn't like it, but the truck didn't mind one bit. Stop & go or sitting shouldn't affect it - and I'm running the stock radiator and nothing else fancy.
Is engine temp engine specific? Can you have one 3.9 next to another 3.9 and one will run warmer? I have wheeled with RRC's that will keep the temp needle in the middle while I was turning my 90 off as it was creeping up at stops.

And what is the Disco2 architecture? Similar radiator as a D90, electric fans?

I have read so many different things about many different configurations over the years - 4 core rad is better, stock is the best, aftermarket alloy ones beat all, electric fan over vicious, on and on. Pendy makes some interesting points and his Rover knowledge is on a Jedi level - I am sure he has a formula for cooling solutions that he has seen work. I know I am not adding anything but it seems that keeping the NAS V8's at a proper temp can be a pain.
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:37 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yes I agree the V-belt fan blade will be correct. The problem would be a 1995 RRC fan blade. Or mixing some other black multiblade fan to the fan clutch that fits your waterpump.

I really feel strongly about the radiator size regardless about others claims of success.

Quote:

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Pulled the block out tonight. I'm stripping it down tomorrow and shipping it to D&D on Friday if all goes to plan.
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:30 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
D&D, let us know how that goes. Why did you choose D&D,I thought you guys had a machine shop in Richmond area you were using.
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
D&D, let us know how that goes. Why did you choose D&D,I thought you guys had a machine shop in Richmond area you were using.
There are two machine shops that I use in Richmond, but only one has the ability to do liners. They were going to be significantly more expensive than D&D, and my co-worker has had a lot of success with D&D's work. I also like the fact that D&D regularly works on Rover V8's, where the local machine shops rarely do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions