What would you do? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:00 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
What would you do?

So I got my new rte 3" springs in... No more saggy rear end... Yay!...And I had my suspension flexed with a forklift with all springs fully retained... These were the shock lengths at various points...
Front Compression: 17.5”
Front Ride Height: 20.5”
Front Extension: 25”

Rear Compression: 20” D
Rear Ride Height : 22.5”
Rear Extension: 28”

I'm not worried about the fronts as I'm going to lower the front lower mount by two inches and fit a fox 2.0 12" shock in there...

Now these are with fresh springs, so I'm thinking they are going to loosen up a bit... The original measurements I took without springs (and I've since added the a arm block as well), was 29.5 in the rear at full droop and even then it could have gone farther.... It was being held back by the break lines which have been changed out to the 25" ones now... To complicate things further I'm planning on going to 35s at some point in the near future... So my choices are these... I can fit a 12" in with no problem... Or I can go with a 14 with one of Bucks favorite bumpstops on it and use it to limit compression to about an inch but it would give me significantly more droop... Do you think that the shock can handle the stress and is one inch of compression enough in the rear? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:14 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Hard to do that without a shock... Have to buy something....
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:21 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

1" of compression before you're on the bumps is going to make the truck miserable to drive. I'd suggest no less than 5" on a truck that sees any regular road use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:23 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Just put in new lift... Have some super cheap placeholders that are way to soft in there until I have this worked out... Some bds things....
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:13 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
1" of compression before you're on the bumps is going to make the truck miserable to drive. I'd suggest no less than 5" on a truck that sees any regular road use.
I'm not sure a stock truck has that....
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Some wont agree with me but more is not always better, more flex doesnt always mean more capable on the trail. They make short tube long travel shocks that might work for what you are looking for. 12" shocks would be the most I would personally go with. Those RTE springs arent going to sagg to much if any. Good luck, and I would call bilstein or fox to get a professional opinion. They will give you the best advice I would think.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:05 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I'm not sure a stock truck has that....
A truck with 2-3" of lift shouldn't be that far off. Maybe somewhere in the mid-4" range.

If you're trying to go crazy on droop you're going to need to ditch your current trailing arm mounts and replace the pancake bushings with a heim or johnny joint.

352-572-3236

Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Already done. I have rte currie jointed trailing arms.

Coils also limit compression with coil bind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions