What would YOU do? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
TT's work on regular gear oil. Proper diff break it wouldnt cause that noise unless there was something visually wrong with the gears or the carrier is broken. good guesses though
What about not enough gear oil? Don't think it's that but just throwing "what ifs" out there. Sometimes for me it is the weird little things that are the causes.

I really think a 3rd party should take a look at the 3rd on a bench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
What about not enough gear oil? Don't think it's that but just throwing "what ifs" out there. Sometimes for me it is the weird little things that are the causes.

I really think a 3rd party should take a look at the 3rd on a bench.
I agree I said sent it to an Eaton certified mechanic if there is such a thing or send it back to Eaton to look at it. At this point since Bill seems to be a middle man trying to cover his ass I would just go ahead and by-pass him. Or call Justin at Lucky 8 and ask him if his diff guy will take a look at it. Maybe he can work with Eaton to get you a replacement..
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

This is another reason why Im scared to ever do diff work myself. I just take my whole member with the parts to this guy in East LA who's been biulding diffs for over 30 years. I install it myself but when it comes to getting the bearings preset I just let him do it.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
This is another reason why Im scared to ever do diff work myself. I just take my whole member with the parts to this guy in East LA who's been biulding diffs for over 30 years. I install it myself but when it comes to getting the bearings preset I just let him do it.
haha yea but this is coming from GBR's diff guy like this.......
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
I agree I said sent it to an Eaton certified mechanic if there is such a thing or send it back to Eaton to look at it. At this point since Bill seems to be a middle man trying to cover his ass I would just go ahead and by-pass him. Or call Justin at Lucky 8 and ask him if his diff guy will take a look at it. Maybe he can work with Eaton to get you a replacement..
Anyone have Justin's contact info? if they are a TruTrac retailer and offer certified repair, I'll pull the 3rd and the rear and send it to him.

Since the rear end makes the noises even if the NEW GBR double-cardon rear prop shaft is pulled, I am inclined to think it's not the u-joint. U-joint is only on the prop shaft, right?
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Fwiw, I am sure someone in Colorado has an extra set of stock axles that they would let you use to test with if you do not want to spend the $$$

If not explain your story to Keith he might have an extra set of stockers sitting in the corner and he is the type of guy that will help someone in a bind.

Also check pikes peak rovers or Matt @ rockware all great people that might have some extra spares laying around.

Fwiw every rover I have driven with a rear TT will make a pop or bang from Time to time and a ratchet noise as well but nothing like the video.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Anyone have Justin's contact info?
Lucky8llc.com
(716) 898-8153

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:06 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Ok, I have made an appointment with Predator 4X4 (next Thursday) here in Colorado Springs. They are an Eaton certified dealer. I am going to get a 2nd professional opinion on the problem before I spend another dime. I already have the paperwork form the local LR dealership. I'll get a 3rd professional opinion if it looks like I'll need legal help to recover my costs (and my time).

This car is my daily driver, I can't justify the cost to yank the 3rd member, ship it off, and pay for a rental car just yet.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Predator 4x4???? oh boy.. With that name that name I dont know that I'd let them touch anything else on my truck for any other reason haha
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Predator 4x4???? oh boy.. With that name that name I dont know that I'd let them touch anything else on my truck for any other reason haha
I'm thinking more of the 1987 classic starring the governator.

"Dillon! You son of a bitch. What's the matter....the CIA got you pushing too many pencils?"
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind

I'm thinking more of the 1987 classic starring the governator.

"Dillon! You son of a bitch. What's the matter....the CIA got you pushing too many pencils?"
"Y'all are a bunch a slack jaw faggots." Jesse offers some of his chew - "this stuff will make you a sexual tyranasaurus, just like me."

Classic movie.

Semper Fi!
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Not sure what Predators' rep is but might be worth a shot. I'd do a search on them on the Pirate board just to see if they are flakey or not.

As far as keeping the 90 as a DD and sending the 3rd out - you should be able to pickup a stocker 3rd close by. Get the rear on axle stands, pull the wheels, then axles, rear drive shaft, and pull the 3rd. Clean up the gasket stuff and pop the stocker in there with some Right Stuff. Should be a 2 hour or less operation in your garage with some impact. Get a 5 gallon bucket then send up to Justin. I drove for weeks with the rear only working - actually did a off road trip like that.
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM
rockrimmon
Tom Vervaeke
1994 D90 ST #772 Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Ok, I have made an appointment with Predator 4X4 (next Thursday) here in Colorado Springs. They are an Eaton certified dealer. I am going to get a 2nd professional opinion on the problem before I spend another dime. I already have the paperwork form the local LR dealership. I'll get a 3rd professional opinion if it looks like I'll need legal help to recover my costs (and my time).
I live in Colorado Springs as well and have used Predator many times before with stuff on my Jeep Wranglers. I had no issues and they seem like straight shooters to me. No experience there with A D90 though. Based on a lot of the cars I see around their parking lot they have a pretty decent clientele. Just one data point.

Someone pointed me to Pikes Peak Rovers and that's where I'll likely have any and all work done on my vehicle that I can't do.

Tom
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Update

Bill at GBR is sending me some stock axles to make sure that isn't the issue.
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Any news on this? Still curious
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:34 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Reading this certainly makes me question whether TrueTracks are the right solution for me.
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:08 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
GBR was going to send me some stock axles to try - then Bill said "don't waste your time swapping axles, thats not the issue".

He was supposed to send me an email with prices to yank both diffs and replace them with ARB lockers. No word yet. He's a busy guy. I'm sure he will get back to me.

I had Matt (Rockware) make me a new set of stock length trailing arms in case the slightly shorter ones I had were causing the issue. While I'm stoked to have a shiny new set of Trailing Arms, that was another $175 burned as an offering to the TrueTrac gods. The rear diff still sounds like a pumpkin full of bolts and especially bad when it gets hot.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:18 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Did you talk to anyone else running the same diff in the rear?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Before going through that, I would borrow a buddies diffs and put a few miles on his, with your current set up. At least swap the rear diff.

Old July 8th, 2012, 09:37 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrimmon
Someone pointed me to Pikes Peak Rovers and that's where I'll likely have any and all work done on my vehicle that I can't do.
Been going there for 10 years. Always good work and they'll treat you right.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions