Defender Source Forum banner

What works?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Antonios 
#1 ·
I am tired of taking a bath in ATF and gear oil from the waist up. What works well to pump the fluids into the tcase and gear box at service time?

I have a cheap little pump but it's not possible to keep both ends of the hose where they belong and pump at the same time.

#2 ·
get some one to help, the pump works well for me I just have someone man the hose thats going into the container while I pump the fluid into the the respective location. some of those pumps will screw into the containers. Why are you putting ATF in a 1995 Defender?

#3 ·
I use Royal Purple Syncromax in the transmission. Gear oil is not recommended. Maybe because of the higher temperatures in the R380?

#5 ·
Snuffer,

Jam a hose in the gearbox filler hole and run the other end up into the engine bay. You can pour the fluid in with a funnel that way and do it without spilling. I don't have luck with the pump either.

#10 ·
I use the single hose style transfer pump. Works like a giant syringe, but instead of a needle it has a flexible hose on the end. Put the hose in the bottle and pull the handle to suck in the fluid. Put the hose into the fill hole and push the handle to fill the gearbox. Got mine at Napa, was cheap too..... $20 or so IIRC.

-Hans

#11 ·
Randy, I just clean out a 1 quart gear oil ottel, fill it with tranny fluid (redline MTL) and stick a clear tube on the end from home depot (only a few bucks). Stick the tube (only need a foot or so) in the tranns and hold the bottle up next to the tranns and squeeze. Only messy part is pooring the fluid into the gear oil bottle and if you are carefull thats not too messy either.

Oh and all the pumps I have tried suck!

#13 ·
lol..that sux. almost as bad as me punching myself in the face when removing my steering wheel a few weeks back.. I used synthromax and my trans shifts a bit notchy into 2nd and 3rd and its new. unless you shift super slow.... I might try the MTL next... When should you change the syntetic stuff anyway?

#14 ·
I am breaking in a rebuilt transmission and tcase. Changed it at about 250 miles and will probably change it again at a 1000. After that probably once a year.

I'm sure the synthetic would last much much longer but you know it's my toy.

Rob Dassler rebuilt the gearbox and tcase and they work great. He also installed an underdrive and clutch for me. 100% satisfaction

#18 ·
I don't know much about the r380
The lt has a removable screen under the large plug. mine gets clogged with a paint like flakes?
Randy these transmissions are not smooth imho lt's or r's.The r is a little better shifting than the lt77 again imho. None of these transes were made for bangin gears. [unless you need to!]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.