What type of soft top is best? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

What type of soft top is best?

I need to start thinking about getting a top for my truck and would like to get some feedback from you folks.
For those of you in the south west, what top are you running (Bikini, surrey, regular soft top) and what are the pro's and con's of it.
Thanks
CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I live in Irvine and am still running the Surrey. I run it year round. Keeps the sun off in the summer and offers a little protection in the rain in the winter. With the door tops on it isn't too cold in the Winter but I don't like to drive it at night if i can help it.
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:50 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Surrey is definitely the route to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

If you do a search for Badger you'll find that I always recommend one of their tops. In particular I am a huge fan of the Badger II. I think it is the perfect top for So. Cal. With the sides rolled up it is a surrey. If it looks like it is going to rain you can roll the sides down and have them secured in minutes. I also like the way the sides look when they are rolled up. It gives the Defender a more Series look.

I seem to recall seeing a post that Chris (Badger) has developed a version that is a direct replacement for any truck with the belt-rail system that doesn't need the gutter kit. Give him a call.

Here are some Badger II pictures:

Note, I didn't have the back zipped in when I took this picture. The back pannel rools up and can be secured just like the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01199.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	8134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01200.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	8135  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01201.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	8136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01202.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	8137  

Old February 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Whatever you decide, make it a top from Badger Coachworks and you will be very pleased. Their soft tops come with the best materials, craftsmanship and customer service (in my opinion).

www.badgercoachworks.com

I agree that the surrry top is pretty great. I live in the Northeast and run the half-cab setup from Badger and I am very happy with the many ways I can set the truck up, i.e. just bikini, just tonneau, etc.

Good luck,

Greg
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

badger half-cab is the way to go, great set-up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
x2, I have it on my 2002 D90 and it allows me to run the A/C ONLY at II/III at the hottest days in Dubai and can be taken off in less than 3 minutes to enjoy the great weather at night...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Another recomendation for Badger. Chris is great to deal with and the quality is superb.
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Doesn't matter what top you buy as long as it is a Badger..they make amazing tops. The quality is top rate and the fit perfect, these guys really know what they are doing. I bought the Badger III full top and love it...I have a new surrey top enroute as I type this. Can't go wrong with these tops...
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
Chris is great to deal with, i went there to have mine fitted, he made me welcome and showed me around his work shop and if for some reason you have any problem its no problem for him to sort them out
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=3445
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=3446

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Can someone explain to me the difference between the full size Badger tops? I have gathered that the Badger II rolls up on the sides and looks like the way to go. I have some info from Chris at Badger, but I am a little unclear. Do you have to get the gutter kit? Do they make a direct replacement Badger II that doesn't require the gutter kit? I don't want to spend 3G's for a soft top, but from the pricing info he gave me I can't tell if that is the only option. I am going to give him a call, but want some input first.

97 D90 SW
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
Can someone explain to me the difference between the full size Badger tops? I have gathered that the Badger II rolls up on the sides and looks like the way to go. I have some info from Chris at Badger, but I am a little unclear. Do you have to get the gutter kit? Do they make a direct replacement Badger II that doesn't require the gutter kit? I don't want to spend 3G's for a soft top, but from the pricing info he gave me I can't tell if that is the only option. I am going to give him a call, but want some input first.
Yes you can get the Badger II without the gutter kit.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Badger II GK or Badger II FDS

The Badger II full canvas top is different than the Badger I top. The side curtain has a side window sewn into it and can be rolled up and secured with 2 straps and buckles. The back curtain center window can be rolled up, or the entire back curtain assembly can be removed completely and stored in it's protective bag. The Badger II also acts like a surrey top in this set up. The side curtains can be rolled down quickly if it begins to rain. Our top is available in 5 colors, and are made with automotive fabric as used on more expensive European convertibles. The zippers are made from nylon and are the type used in the marine industry. The windows are double polished vinyl and come in 2 tints, bronze and grey.

The Badger II GK (gutter kit) uses the galvanized gutter, and 1 piece door seal kits to create a proper fit around the doors. This almost completely eliminates any chance for water leaks. If it was 100%, it wouldn't be a Land Rover. $2975.00 + shipping.

The Badger II FDS(fabric door seals) The fabric door seals do a great job at keeping the water out, but not as well as the gutter kit style tops. The difference is cost savings and simplicity of installation. Which means that the top will cost $1995.00 + shipping.

Chris
Badger Coachworks
508-394-2680
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Okay, so to clarify......
The Badger I is the same as the Badger III, and has zip out windows side and rear.
The Badger II has roll up sides and rear, and can be used as a surrey top.

They can be purchased with the fabric door seal, which is similar to the original top
Or...
they can be purchased with a gutter kit that is a superior seal to the original top.

The Badger III (now Badger I), with the fabric door seals (FDS), can be purchsed on sale for the remainder of the year.

Is all this correct?

97 D90 SW
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Badger I FDS 10th annversary

The special will not last much longer. It has been running for almost a year now and is approching its 11th year. I don't see a 11th year anniversary price in the works.

So it should be:

Bad I GK $2975.00
Bad I FDS $1995.00 (anniversary price $1795.00)

Bad II GK $2975.00
Bad II FDS $1995.00

Chris
Badger Coachworks
508-394-2680
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

go for the badger 2 top FDS then you got a surry top too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top