Defender Source Forum banner

What to use on treated chassis?

770 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tim 
#1 ·
Hello, just joined the forum. :)

In August I bought a 1983 110 hard top for £500 off a friend. It's languished a bit on his drive but passed its MOT last week with no more than a dodgy bulb, which I was chuffed about.

I've started stripping the loose rust and old underseal off the chassis, or those parts I can get to, and have treated the cleaned areas with a rust treatment (the green stuff by UKlandrover that turns the red oxide to a black oxide). It all seems very solid, although there is one small hole right at the back end, close to where the rear crossmember attaches.

It's a long time since I worked on any vehicle like this (last time was on a 1976 Hillman Imp), so before I start slathering on the black gunge, I wanted to ask: what is the preferred coating for chassis and underbody these days? Do people still use black underseal, or is there better stuff?

Also, is it a DIY-able job to spray Waxoyl into the chassis via the various little holes along its length? Again, It's been a long time, so I'm a little rusty. ;)

#2 ·
Brian:
There are mixed reviews on chassis prep and the best answer is it depends.
While Waxoil is a good rust inhibitor, it's also flammable, so later welding will be flaming.
That is if you intend do go back and weld the small hole you found or others, then Waxoil is not the best choice.

My experience with undercoating is that moisture gets under it and rusts the frame away underneath so you're eventually left with a nice box shape with crumbling steel inside.

On the outside, I use a good paint after treating with the phosphoric acid like you have already done.
The acid etches and reacts which turns red/brown rust into gray/black iron phosphate.

On the inside, Waxoil is the best, but as mentioned before not for welding...

Hope this helps, mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.