what size Winch, Brand ect.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2006, 06:56 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

It seems that once someone has been indoctrinated into which winch they shall think is the best, they rarely change their mind. Name any brand winch and i've seen them broken. There was a rash of Warn X9's dropping dead recently, but as one owner of a failed X9 explained to me "Warns are still the best out there." Whatever.
The heat buildup issue on the drum is often thrown about- but how often do you power out your winch more than a few seconds? I can only recall maybe three times in 19 years of driving things with winches on them that I had to power out a significant distance.
Any decent winch will provide good service if installed properly, maintained properly and used properly. It's more of a "luck of the draw" if the particular individual one you got will have a defect or not- just like the "luck of the draw" when you get a Rover. Some are inexplicably better than the identical one sitting next to it.
As for the TMax parts request- PM me with what you need. I source them from a different place than the US distributor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Very well said. Problem is the majority of winch users disagree with you. Like evidenced in the above posts. And the problems that you speak of don't stop the majority of even competition winchers from using Warn. I would not have had any issue with your statement if you had said "In my opinion", because its an opinion. Do you have a picture of a new Warn with a broken case like that? I've never seen one, but I don't get around that much. Cheers
OK, it's all my opinion plus my observations of failures and performance of a large number of winch equipped Land Rovers.

The Warn 8274 is a very good winch, but of a completely different design that the regular consumer Warn winches. I was not talking about it.

The Warn competition winches that are made for synthetic cable have different kind of brake and so do not have the heatin gproblem but the common 8500-10k Warn winches do have it.

The Superwinch is heavier, slower, but I have found it to soldier along better in heavy use. Still, if I were racing I could see using a lighter speedier Warn because my goals would be different.

I have never seen a Warn case broken in the manner of your photo but I've seen plenty broken in other ways.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I have a Warn9000 on my truck. Not the highspeed one, the older slow one. It works for me when I need it. Mike has a good point about the fast ones - its easy to loose a finger if you are not paying attention.
If you plan to really use and abuse the winch (racing, comp etc.) then I'd say really look at the discussion. But for *most* of us, occasional use is where its at. I suspect that both rover-girl and rover-chic fall into this category (I know I do). Warn should suffice. Husky should suffice. I would venture that Ramsey would also. YMMV. IMHO.
-scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Aw hell. Just go with the new warn 9.0 RC winch and save yourself 24 pounds on the front. Buy a 50 foot or 100 foot extension and you're done.
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:20 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Rover-Girl: What did you end up with? Iam still researching what will work for me.
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Rover- Girl

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raverchic
Rover-Girl: What did you end up with? Iam still researching what will work for me.
Well...nothing yet...talk about opening a can of worms LOL
I think I'll put it on the back burner for now and do some
belly protection, like a skid plate, some differential & pinion-protection
definitely the rock sliders w/ step from scorpion racing and such.

For this weekend I'll have the Tie Rod Ball joint & drop arm repaired
with parts courtesy of DAP.

Just out of curiosity..what type winch does the US Military use !!??

Christine
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Depends on the truck. Big honking PTO winches on the big trucks. Oversizes hydraulic milemarkers on the humvee's. Sometimes, they just call in a helicopter. More often than not if you get stuck enough to need a winch they use a dedicated recovery vehicle. These are converted tanks or Semi-sized off road trucks that have big cranes, massive winches and all sorts of other goodies.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:52 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Christine,
assuming you're going to operate the winch yourself sooner or later (got stuck alone somewhere),
I'd recommend,whatever the brand
- training,so to understand how things work and how dangerous these toys can be
- a pulley (2 are even better) and proper straps etc

All in the name of safety
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:48 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David.... I like that winch a lot but a bit small on the reel side. I think it would be a pain in the ass with an extention all the time. What do you think. Christine, when its time, www.winchdepot.com
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:05 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
True, but how often do you fully unspool your winch on the East coast? By the time you've broken out the tree strap, you can determine if an extension is necessary. We have far more trees to hook up to.

I dropped my line to 85' both so I could get more pull with fewer wraps, and the fact that 100' of 3/8 on a warn 9k winch barely fits and annoyed me every time I went to respool at the end of the day.

Of course this was only a suggestion on the RC. I haven't gone that route yet.
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:12 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I def. like the Idea David. Its lighter too...and comes with the synth rope so you really dont have to buy it after.... I guess You do have a good point. Especially with a good size tree strap anyway. I want to get my winch soon so now you have me thinking.. Would there be a down side to that winck other then the 9.5ti
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:38 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Just do it!

I would consider it too if I were in the market for a winch. I was actually thinking it was the perfect rear winch, but then talked myself out of any perceived "need" for something like that in the rear...

BUT, it would be neat to make a very minimalist bumper with the winch incorporated in it on the front.

9.0RC Line Pull
Lbs.(Kgs.) Line Speed
FT./min(M/min.) Motor
Current Pull by layer
layer/Lbs(Kgs.)
0 42 (12.8) 80 amps 1/900 (4082)
2000 16 (4.88) 200 amps 2/7280 (3302)
4000 11.9 (3.63) 285 amps 3/6670 (3026)
6000 9.79 (2.98) 350 amps 4/6230 (2826)
8000 8.01 (2.44) 435 amps
9000 6.4 (1.94) 465 amps

XD9000:
12V DC PERFORMANCE SPECS
Line Pull
Lbs.(Kgs.) Line Speed
FT./min(M/min.) Motor
Current Pull by layer
layer/Lbs(Kgs.)
0 38(11.6) 70 amps 1/9000(4082)
2000(910) 14.4(4.39) 180 amps 2/8190(3715)
4000(1810) 11(3.35) 255 amps 3/7500(3402)
6000(2720) 8.67(2.64) 330 amps 4/7010(3180)
8000(3630) 6.88(2.10) 415 amps
9000(4080) 6.38(1.94) 460 amps
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:11 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Hey Rover "Sista" You need some of these...Red Lips FairLead! Easy to kiss with!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00057.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5298  
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

lol! Nice Melisa! Does that color go well with the color of the Disco?
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:41 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL... Oh my.. Do you guys see any down side to that Warn 9.0Rc over the 9.5Ti? Now that David brought it up, I am thinkin' of buying it soon...
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:28 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
lol! Nice Melisa! Does that color go well with the color of the Disco?
LOL! No but it matches my sweet HID Hella Lights well!
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
LOL... Oh my.. Do you guys see any down side to that Warn 9.0Rc over the 9.5Ti? Now that David brought it up, I am thinkin' of buying it soon...
There's only a couple potential downsides (I have never owned one). The 50 feet would bug me, but like was said earlier, it might not be a problem for you. Also, if the winch is only smaller in width, but has the same depth, then it won't do you any good. There is plenty of room for width but very little for depth (but, I did get the winch to extend only one inch past the frame with a lot of cutting). Also, are you going to build your own bumper, if so, it could be sweet. If you are going to get a store bought one, then you have gained nothing again. And lastly, the red would bug me. I'm a poser, I know.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:08 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a rockware bumper Dave.. LOL... You don't like the red.. ha ha
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:35 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
And lastly, the red would bug me. I'm a poser, I know.
LOL! I know, I know I am such a Poser! Yes that is my fairlead. It is not yet installed as I have to do the third member before I mess with a winch.

Dave- It's a girl thing you would not understand!
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:00 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
LOL! I know, I know I am such a Poser! Yes that is my fairlead. It is not yet installed as I have to do the third member before I mess with a winch.

Dave- It's a girl thing you would not understand!
Oh, I meant the red warn rc winch. The lips, on the other hand, are just fine by me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch