What size winch? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 15th, 2006, 02:57 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

What size winch?

Well I thought I had a winch from my DiscoI, but it is gone, stolen out of my friends shed along with all my off-road goodies. I had a 9500# Warn. Do I need the same size or should I go smaller? And if so, what size, brand?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Old September 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

IMO bigger is better in winches, it's just that if you go too big they get too heavy and hurt the approach angle. I use a Warn 9.5 XP on a RockWare bumper.
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

The Warn 8274 is without a doubt a badass winch, but I don't know of a lot bumpers that can house this bad-boy without custom fab.

I think a couple guys have them and run Rockware & possibly the OEM bumpers. Ask around I could be wrong.

I use the Warn 9.5XP. Good winch, but I would have preferred the Husky10K. Mostly for its nostalgia (CT), but it too only fits in a limited number of bumpers.

I stayed away from the hydraulic winches simply because I didn't want to have to worry about busting hoses or cleaning up fluid (or carrying extra fluid for that matter). Plus, if the motor dies so does the winch since itís mated to the power steering box. Thereís a whole debate about this issue and loss of steering. With an electric winch you only have to worry about killing your battery, which in my opinion is more controllable variable than the potential mishaps of the hydraulic scenario.

You can't go wrong with Warn though. Great products & customer service no matter how old the equipment is.

DJ
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hydraulic in a defender has other issues, mostly the low pressure PS pump that the trucks come with. One of these days, I'm going to do something about the milemarker I have on the front of mine already. Maybe one of those fancy PTO pumps, maybe an 8274.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
The Warn 8274 is without a doubt a badass winch, but I don't know of a lot bumpers that can house this bad-boy without custom fab. DJ
If cost is not an issue than 8274 and will fit an ARB see - http://www.defendersource.com/tech/8274.html

It is still only rated at 8000 lbs

4 wheel parts was having a sale on M8000s with roller and free shipping for $550.00 http://www.4wheelparts.com

Some will say that this is too small for a D-90 but it will pull my truck all the jams I have been able to get into. I almost always have to teather to an anchor from the rear recovery point to pull someone else out of a jam. It will drag my truck whill pulling.

Good Luck
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

[QUOTE=mhansen]If cost is not an issue than 8274 and will fit an ARB see - http://www.defendersource.com/tech/8274.html [/url]

Cool. There you have it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch