What should I look for in speakers - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Hey Ken I just installed a pair of Pioneer TS-A1671R speakers in my doors. It was the easiest thing I've ever replaced on the truck. Took me 15 minutes. No cutting just a strainght fit.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Hey Ken I just installed a pair of Pioneer TS-A1671R speakers in my doors. It was the easiest thing I've ever replaced on the truck. Took me 15 minutes. No cutting just a strainght fit.
WHAT??? You fixed something on your truck YOURSELF? I thought that your D-90 could drive itself to Trevor's barn by now. Do you pay MD taxes on that thing??

oh man, I crack myself up sometimes...

In honesty, thanks Tyler. I'm going to Best Buy this weekend to listen to the speakers. I'll check those out.
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how do they soound
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

A $2900 system for a 90? Oh...a ghetto blaster I see: two 600W amps, two 300W subs and four mains?! All I see here is volume - a parameter than even Urban Audio can provide at much less cost.

And who said "don't waste your money on components, it is a defender"?

As for speaker shopping, just go to ANY store, listen and compare. Most will sound the same to your ear. If you're lucky you'll find a set that sounds better than the rest to you - in this environment.

I say buy the cheapest, good, loud enough set you can. If you need to later tweak the bass or treble, then invest in an equalizer - yes, even Urban Audio will do.

In a loud truck like this (even after "soundproofing"), volume wins out over accuracy. And I don't mean volume in the multi-100W range! An ADS 4x45W single amp and 4x100W mains are plenty loud even in a 90.

Oh, and that $2400 left over sure sounds nice coming from those Toy lockers!
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:30 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
A $2900 system for a 90? Oh...a ghetto blaster I see: two 600W amps, two 300W subs and four mains?! All I see here is volume - a parameter than even Urban Audio can provide at much less cost.

And who said "don't waste your money on components, it is a defender"?

As for speaker shopping, just go to ANY store, listen and compare. Most will sound the same to your ear. If you're lucky you'll find a set that sounds better than the rest to you - in this environment.

I say buy the cheapest, good, loud enough set you can. If you need to later tweak the bass or treble, then invest in an equalizer - yes, even Urban Audio will do.

In a loud truck like this (even after "soundproofing"), volume wins out over accuracy. And I don't mean volume in the multi-100W range! An ADS 4x45W single amp and 4x100W mains are plenty loud even in a 90.

Oh, and that $2400 left over sure sounds nice coming from those Toy lockers!

maybe sound to your decrepit ears sounds okay, but not to me. Of course volume wins out, that is what I need in a softtop at 70mph, if i wanted to drive 55 and listen to the truck I would have bought a series, this truck is a toy to me, I have a daily driver with much more installed in it, and far superior quality speakers, Having said that if I am driving around town, or partying at the campsite you're damn right I want to provide the tunes, that's why my ipod has over 6k songs on it.

yeah go to radioshack and we will see how your radio sounds. If you can't afford it why do it?

Oh and soundproofing is to get rid of the vibrations that the air volume being moved creates, but since you and your walmart speaker don't push enough air you didn't know this.

so you bash my stereo, but you put toy parts in your truck. I have all rover running gear, and arb lockers front and rear, works great for my ghetto blaster.
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

[so you bash my stereo, but you put toy parts in your truck. I have all rover running gear, and arb lockers front and rear, works great for my ghetto blaster. [/QUOTE]
ouch!! did some research for that one

Just an FYI I put a marine deck in the 110 because I was sick of the dust and vibrations ruining the CD player and buttons. So far it has worked great plus I have weather bands now It ain;t cool looking and certainly is not a music buffs deck but I'm addicted to NPR.

One other FYI. I was able to get an optima marine battery ( the bigger spiral one) to fit under the drivers seat as my non starter ( I still have a red top for starting). They have more cranking amps and can sustain draw for a longer period of time then the yellow tops. It is a really tight fit but it works.

IMO I would never need a super duper beat box. to each his own... But if your going to do it... do it right and and you certainly did a bitchn job
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, I'm certainly going to take this laying down.....NOT.

1. My "decrepit ears" do just fine listening to my main Cary tube system at home.

2. "driving around town, or partying at the campsite you're damn right I want to provide the tunes": yes, I want to thank you very much for providing all of us others in our own cars the tunes while driving around town. And, of course, at every campsite there is always someone like you partying us to death with tunes.

3. "my ipod has over 6k songs on it": congratulations. Now do you want to broadcast to us all how many of those are legally owned by you?

4. "go to radioshack and we will see how your radio sounds": well, as it happens, my other home system has two RS 12-in subs that are just fine thank you. RS also sold a top notch 2-way bookshelf speaker a while back that was an audiophile's secret best find - just like my NHT Super Zeros paired to the RS subs. So, don't bash RS when you don't know any better.

5. "soundproofing is to get rid of the vibrations...": I know what soundproofing does - and it doesn't do it in a ST doing 70.But you don't need megawatts to overcome this.

6. "your walmart speaker don't push enough air...": what? Let me see...no mention of Walmart from me. As for pushing enough air, I think you're doing just fine. I did research for Bose way back and know audio fairly well.

7. "you put toy parts in your truck": Well, yes, and I don't blast it everywhere to get attention..

8. "you bash my stereo": Not really. Did you see the smiley faces in my post? I suggest you look up the definition of ghetto blaster. To each his own but I don't mind commenting if I consider something overkill. Yeah, I consider this $2900 system overkill in a 90. But, if your function is to be the street and campsite entertainer then it works fine. I just hope not to ever hear it in my campsite.

By the way, see all the smiley faces here? No bashing, just comments. Lighten up a bit.

...and go ahead and bash on my Toy stuff; I can take it. (see, another one! )
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:43 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I will spare the reqouting of everything you said.

so here it goes.

1) I do know about cary. Do you think I have a stereo in my truck and not my house. come on now, Chiro, adcom, velodyne, bk, and definitive. Like I said before my other vehicles have far superior components in them. If you think this is great products, you better sit down for what's in my other two vehicles. I am not 20 with a truck and stereo paid for by daddy, not that I think you are either, but I get the feeling you think I might be. I came here to answer Ken's question, I offered to post pics, I was asked to so I obliged. I doubt you have seen a better, more laid out stereo from a consumer in a d90 (there is a smiley for you)

2)If you don't like the tunes camp somewhere else, around my circles the music is well received, as for the driving around providing tunes it's like this, it is all about the have's and the have nots if you don't like it the easiest way to get rid of it is with noise cancellation

3)good one jackass all 6k are paid for, do you want to come over and see the nearly 800 cds waiting to be loaded on to it? no smiley on this one, you assume that because I have this many songs I pirated them and you are wrong just like i do everything else this is done right also.

4) come on now radio shack stereo components suck ass, I like the store for the little hard to find parts, but please.

5) this you are correct but only because you misunderstood the statement. first dynamat is mostly for when I am sitting and listening, except the subs which pushed so much air down on the aluminum wheel wells that they were resonating, as for the doors it was similar, but worse from ten year old plastic covers so the deadening absorbs some of this. the wattage is for 70 mph

6) Bose please I don't doubt you worked there, but they are way overrated and basicly tired department store shit.

7) so the stereo is overkill, is this based on your value of the dollar or lack of dollars, Having said that the toy shit is a costly conversion, for me I don't need it the arb lockers and rover running gear are fine for my needs, based on your opinion an RV is overkill when you could just use a Eureka tent, I think we all decide to spend our money on what is important to us. I doubt too many people on here are hard up for money, including you just don't judge my stuff as overkill, when you have to admit it was done right, and badass

besides I am still bitter the Redsox beat the cards in 04
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Aaron, in the spirit of good natured humour, commentary and not bashing...

1. I do not want to compare home system design with auto. I will say that "superior" individual components do not make a superior system. Unless all are matched for the right end result you're in a crap shoot. I don't care who purchased your system and I'm not commenting on your posting of pics for Ken. Would you be surprised to get comments if your system cost $10K? Sure. Well, you're getting one at $2900.

As for a "better" laid out system in a 90: your definition of better is different from mine. For me, it is an efficient, cost-fffective system with matched components to deliver correct sound to the listener's position. It is not simply one with humongous power ratings to correct environmental flaws (noise in your ST).

BTW: are you saying that in normal driving at 70, you crank this all the way to overcome wind noise? I would think that's murder on your ears.

2. I don't do campsites anyway and I don't blast my music in public. You sure you're not 20?

3. "Jackass"? Come on now...name calling on this board? Maybe on Pirate. OK, so you're a legal iPodster. I didn't assume anything, I asked a question.

4. Again, RS scored big with this one speaker I noted but there were too few people (but well informed) who noticed. As for my RS subs, a sub certainly is much easier to design than a wider range driver.

5. I don't know if yours are but subs are almost always vented in car systems for efficiency and loudness in small areas. Yes, I know about dampening materials to kill undesired resonances.

6. I was not touting Bose products, just audio technology. Back in the late 70's, early 80's they were one of the first, if not the first, to design integrated systems for autos. These used small full range drivers rated at 0.5ohms, 100W or so with a standard head unit and amps. Nothing fancy like your setup. However, they analyzed the sound arriving at the listener's position and tweaked it with equalization and reverberation, among other variables. This produced a great sounding system from components anyone would deem garbage. Certainly looking at the frequency responce of these drivers without equalization would tell you threy're garbage - and they were when you heard them, as in the 901. Factor in the entire system and it's world's apart.

Now, this type of system design is commonplace. Why? Because an auto environment is controllable and fixed allowing a designer to fine tune a system for correct sound. The best systems today use these systems - not just off the shelf components put together becasue of their exceptional individual specs.

Even you'd be surprised at how an "engineered" system like this sounds in comparison to one designed with stock components. Where room acoustics and placement are considered in a home system, here placement is limited so equalization takes its place.

7. Yes, I consider your system overkill based on the design parameters: four main drivers,two subs and mega- wattage to generate mega-volume.The cost is the ridiculous end result of this "badass" system.

I'm not into the "badass" thing. My system costs a fraction of yours, is more than loud enough for any objective listener (granted I have a SW) and is more accurate because of some equalization to compensate for the interior's shortcomings.

I won't get into a Toy comparison. If you never find the need for one and I never find the need for something else then we're both lucky and satisfied.

The RV comment is laughable. BTW, you'll never catch me in one!

In the end, I'm sure you have a system right for your needs.Unfortunately, those needs go well beyond the need for great sound in a 90 (the subject of this thread) to include ghetto blasting competition, outdoor concert and "badass". If only you had experenced a truly well-designed system at 1/5 the cost.

As for the RedSox, we're all over that here - at least I am.

All of the comments above were meant in the friendliest spirit as per the Rover community - believe it or not. You may now retort in a similar fashion!
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:40 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Arthur here is where you misunderstand my desires and why I installed this into my truck. one component was to have the sound identifiable at 70mph with the top off. Like you said you don't have a softtop so no amount of equalization with a 45 watt per channel system is going to overcome this. You obviously know sound and I doubt you will disagree with this statement. Furthermore I play my music for the clarity in order to hear all instruments in the music, whether it is Jazz, Rock or Pop. I listen to pretty much everything but country.

the jackass comment is because you automatically jump to the conclusion that I pirated music you call penned me as a thief I call you a jackass for that we are even. I pretty much think that most people from Boston and LI have the same elitist attitude that you take here. My reason for posting was too show what is possible. If he wants to go buy speakers at Best Buy and screw them in more power to him.

This is the common thing on the web. Someone posts and then someone else posts to say how their decisions are worthless and they wasted their money, I have seen it a lot. Get over it. I like my stuff and you like yours. I think Toy axles are overkill, you don't, but I don't call you out on it.

If you are gonna post shit about me then I am going to comeback their are no rules of etiquette so I don't expect you to take it sitting down, but don't expect me to get defensive.

oh and what no smiley faces on that one?
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:59 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Aaron, answering each paragraph (perhaps we should go back to numbers?):

You're playing music from CD's, correct? Depending on the type music, more so with classical and jazz than pop and rock, the dynamic range (sound level difference of softest to loudest) is so high that the softest passages are below the noise floor of the environment. That means you cannot hear them unless you crank up the volume. That also means that when a mid or loud passage comes your ears are going to feel it. The only way to resolve this, again in an auto environment or other high noise one, is to compress the music and decrease the dynamic range. Now, the softest won't sound as soft and the loudest won't soud as loud but you can listen to all of it without adjusting the volume knob all the time. So, I don't know what sort of clarity you're hearing in your jazz but you're not hearing all of it - whether 100W or 600W.

I didn't call you a thief - I asked a question. You answered it and now are adding nonsense to it. You're right, we're all elitist here. Don't forget all the hicks in NH and ME and the other elitists in VT. CT too while you're at it. I would bet a comparable system to yours can be purchased from Best Buy. Surely Alpine doesn't make the "best" amps, nor Kenwood the "best" mains, nor JL the "best" subs. Watts is watts: at 1% max distortion you can't tell one good auto amp from another.

You didn't waste your money: you got what you wanted out of it: a system that plays music in the truck, outside the truck and at campsites. I just happen to think it's overkill for the normal person wanting only a system to play music in the truck. If you think Toys are overkill say so - it won't hurt me Heck, I think a 4-link is overkill.There, I said it. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

I commented on your system - not "post shit", unless you consider a negative comment posting shit. Of course there are rules of etiquette. You don't see me calling you a jackass, elitist or anything else. You made it personal. Do I care? No, not at all. On this issue, I know where I stand and what I'm talking about - oops, I hope that wasn't elitist!

I'm still smiling.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:10 AM
D90user
steve

I havn't even read all this stuff but don;t you guys have anything better to do? go wrench on your beast...

It seems like it can be resolved with the age old bs "just agree to disagree"

We all like our toys to spend our hard earned money on... so lets just let boys be boys and have our toys.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:19 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Hey! Why are you getting in the middle of this, Steve?!

And who you calling boy?!

I'll try to disagree in silence from now on.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:32 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

You can't see my point and I think that proves my point.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:37 AM
D90user
steve

Just trying to keep these tech discussions ...well technical

ahhhem... I'm sorry... MEN with toys
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You guys should write a book.
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by loykd
WHAT??? You fixed something on your truck YOURSELF? I thought that your D-90 could drive itself to Trevor's barn by now. Do you pay MD taxes on that thing??

oh man, I crack myself up sometimes...

In honesty, thanks Tyler. I'm going to Best Buy this weekend to listen to the speakers. I'll check those out.
Oddly enough I do work on it. Its only been to Trevor's barn twice so far. Once for some work and then a brief stop over for some loner tires. Nope manage to get it back just before the time limit is up on paying taxes :-D The speakers sound good to me granted i only replaced the fronts since they were pretty well torn apart.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

word
Attached Images

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
D90user
steve

buck... that picture says "wigger spice"
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
has anyone used an aftermarket amp with the factory head unit? I really like my cd changer and head unit. Looking at some Alpine speakers but i dont think the stock setup could push em

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speakers