What shocks to buy? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:39 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

What shocks to buy?

I am looking to buy the Scorpion Racing Evolution kit ( which drops the shocks 2 inches), and run a 3 Link up front. I am running OME 764's up front, 781's in rear. I bought OME shocks, but I know they are not going to be long enough. What shocks do you guys reccomend that won't break the bank, as it is already broken .

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Three kinds. Fox, Fox and Fox.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:50 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the evolution kit once its on.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cox
What shocks do you guys reccomend that won't break the bank, as it is already broken .

Thanks

Chris
David, $140-$170/shock is a little more than I wanted to spend. I have also heard alot of people complain about corrosion problems with those shocks. Nothing in a Rancho, or something similar?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:51 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I have a set of Foxshocks up front and I do have to say they are a ton better then the Ranchos out back. I drive year round in the 90 and they still look great even after the winter beating of salt and water, unlike the ranchos that try to rust at the first chance they get. The thing you need to do when you have alot of drop is make sure you use shocks with eyes on both ends, as it alows the shock to move a little more freely, I had Rancho's up front, the pin types, they lasted about 6 months before the pins on the bottoms of the shocks broke off.

What you need to do is find out how long of a shock you need, then buy what the broken bank allows, ranchos will be fine as long as they are eye to eye shocks, and they are long enough.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you are talking about the scorpion kit I think you are the OME will not be too short, in fact you cannot run anything much longer. I don't see the point of LOWERING the upper mount, unless you want to run a short (ie stock length) shock (the original SG drop kit was based on the same principle except it raised the lower mount 2in and even then they included a longer bump stop). You are better off with a 10in travel shock mounted in the stock location as it yields the same up travel but 2in more drop.

FWIW

Ron
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:10 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what about the OME LTR's?
Old July 24th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Chris,

I know what it is like to have the Rover suck all your funds. I am in the same boat. My advise is to grab a pair of super cheepos untill you can afford better and then upgrade to the FOX. I can get you a better deal than what you mentioned but I can not make it cheaper than Rancho. Trust me, I have tried a lot of shocks, and seen a lot dissasembled. The Fox is the best I have ever run. But like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Rancho is not that bad though, just not that good. Hope that helps

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Thanks for the input guys.

Chris
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:57 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Bilstiens rock out. Well, kinda the opposite.
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

ECR4 came with those adjustable fox shocks (2.0 pro series) and within a week I ruptured the hose connecting the remote resovoir to the shock. It wasn't all that big a hit (just an unseen waterbar in the road) .. I was pretty unimpressed. The hose was this small metal braided piece that a friend of my thought wasn't even rated for fluid. I bought some bilstein 7100s to replace them and they came with *real* (beefy) hydraulic hose. They feel great and haven't broken them yet!
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:05 PM
WillT
Will/Taylor
1997 Black D90

Does the Scorpion Evolution kit include mounting brackets for the eye to eye shock set up that Mike suggested? My Ranchos up front have broke 3 times (I just put a new one on every time). Any suggestions out there for a good external eye to eye shock mouunt in front?

-Will
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I bought some from a place online, but they broke! So the next step is to get some U channel, cut and drill some holes grind down the corners and I should be good to go.

Check out my old thread

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/16/1157.html
Man looking back at that post I was a real nooby
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:15 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Will, the Extreme Kit comes with an eye to eye shock tower. Actually, the shock comes with the adapter Mike mentioned. The Rancho stems are thinner than the stock LR shocks, Koni Heavy Track or the deCarbon shocks. The Evo Kit comes with a front lowered shock mount tower for pin to pint shocks.
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM
WillT
Will/Taylor
1997 Black D90

what's the best place to get external mounts (whether they are set up for eyelit or still require an adapter)?
Old July 31st, 2004, 03:04 AM
James
James Gall
95 D1, 4.6, 35's, Dana 60

Go Bilsteins...6100, or 7100 series. Remote Res doesn't make a difference on our trucks. Pick your valving and length and your ready to go. Rovertym makes all kinds of solid shockmounts...loop mount or others.

p.s. Best part is that they are rebuildable!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions