What other snorkel tops will fit a Mantec Snorkel? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What other snorkel tops will fit a Mantec Snorkel?

I would like to get rid of the mushroom style snorkel top on my Mantec snorkel. Has anyone attempted to fit a front facing snorkel top to the Mantec Snorkel? If so what did you get? Seems like there are very limited options due to the small diameter (70MM I believe) of the tube. Safari snorkel tops won't work due to the diameter. I have only found one and it is a no-name brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Any 3" should work and they are pretty common. I have a 3" donaldson pre-cleaner on mine. There are actually a lot of choices out there. Look at forklift suppliers.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I would like to get rid of the mushroom style snorkel top on my Mantec snorkel. Has anyone attempted to fit a front facing snorkel top to the Mantec Snorkel? If so what did you get? Seems like there are very limited options due to the small diameter (70MM I believe) of the tube. Safari snorkel tops won't work due to the diameter. I have only found one and it is a no-name brand.
I really like the Mushroom Style and may end up building my own Snorkel Setup. Let me know if you want to sell the top if you remove it. Sorry I'm no help on replacing it, but I think you have some good advice above.
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2013, 09:47 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

If you do end up with a Safari style snorkel top, and it snows where you live, in the winter think about turning it around backwards. I had a few times (in my jeep with a snorkel) that ice/snow froze over the opening without me noticing... "why does it smell like gas and the engine won't start?"
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Donaldson top-spin...

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/081343.pdf

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks everyone!

I could swear that when I measured, the diameter of the pipe is only 2.75" (70mm) in which case the options go down. Is there a chance that my snorkel is not Mantec?
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Any thoughts on experience with forward facing top versus mushroom top? I am mainly changing because the forward facing is smaller and I thought it would increase airflow, particularly at higher speeds (freeway driving).
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

No problem if I end up switching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post

I really like the Mushroom Style and may end up building my own Snorkel Setup. Let me know if you want to sell the top if you remove it. Sorry I'm no help on replacing it, but I think you have some good advice above.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Mark.

How do you like the Donaldson? Is it a Top Spin HD? Does it increase the airflow and is it worth the cost? What snorkel make do you have? I think I have a Mantec and the OD is 75MM/2.95" so I assume you have the same? According to the Donaldson catalogue there's a 2.58" and a 3.07" version (ID). I assume the 3.07 will fit, with a gasket if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Any 3" should work and they are pretty common. I have a 3"
donaldson pre-cleaner on mine. There are actually a lot of choices out there. Look at forklift suppliers.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I'm curious, is there a place online to order those Donaldson tops?

My brief search only came up a list of distributors.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They sell adapters, so as long as the precleaner has a larger mount, it can fit. You need to make sure it is the correct flow range for your engine. Too small and you will kill power. Too large and it will do nothing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Keep in mind the Donaldson is plastic. Mine lasted a few months, until I hit branch in my driveway... not covered by warranty. Thjey can be purchased at truck shops.

I have upgraded to a steel product Centri precleaner. More money but more robust... You can find many sources online. I bought it on ebay.

Most important thing is to calculete the CFM requirements for your application. There is a formula: http://www.centriprecleaner.com/engineguide.html
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:05 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I assume the 3.07 will fit, with a gasket if necessary.
3.07 is what I used with a 3" snorkel pipe (made from 3" exhaust pipe at a truck muffler place for a few hundred $s). With a stainless steel hose clip (from Traction truck stop store) it will squeeze into place and, once the clip is tight, be solidly held in place. for a different size you can try a rubber pipe fitting, which you can find in any plumbing supply shop.

The top spin is great for city driving, but will last only a few minutes off-road if there is flying pebbles or branches. Mine was destroyed by an old lilac tree in my backyard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mantec, snorkel