What old part do you keep after replacing? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3
What old part do you keep after replacing?

I replaced the water pump on the 90 this weekend. In the process, I replaced all coolant hoses and belts. Trying to restart my truck, I realized it would not go anywhere, pulled the distributor cap and... Yeah, center pin looked crapped out. Looked for my old one... No luck [Thanks Charles for the spare! ]. Probably threw it out or gave it away.

Anyway, this prompted me to think:
- What is it worth it to keep as old spare (something that typically do not break just wear out over time: 50k miles+/5 yrs+?)?
- What is it worth having as new spare and does not have a shelf life (something you know you will replace eventually [like a distributor cap, a coil, plugs + wires?]).
- what is it not worth keeping (busted/not reusable, field repairable, very easy and cheap to get new, does not break and leave you stranded, very affordable [leaking water pump, hoses, etc])

So what do you guys keep when replacing parts?

Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I have an ex MoD and an ex wife. The two no longer conflict with each other.
Originally Posted by ron View Post
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Jason Lavender
D-90 Source Vendor
Anything that still psuedo-functions can be put into the "trail spares" box (belts, water pump, power steering lines, tie rods, etc). Otherwise, throw that sh*t away if you only go to Gimbles on Saturday.
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE
(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")
SDO Instagram
SDO Facebook

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, part