What makes the Rear Wiper park? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

What makes the Rear Wiper park?

Rear wiper does not "park" in the out of the way postion when turned off any longer. Stopped parking with no issues, wiper still works.
Is the parking function a motor issue? a relay issue? Thanks in advance! COSteve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

just pull off the wiper and re-set in park position.it more than likely spun on the teeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Thanks Jimmy, had not thought of that issue.... always assumeing something is broken. So take the wiper off, turn on and off and see if the motor IS parking, and them re attach. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

After loosening the bolt and turning the wiper "on and off", the wiper stops exactly when the switch is turned off, the is no delay or parking going on.

So I am back to my origional inquiry.... what causes the rear wiper motor to "park"

Also, am I just dreaming or if you push the rear washers on, did the wiper at one time, come on and cycle and then park? Right now, whey dont come on at all.......

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

COSteve
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think (because I have never worked on a 97) that there is a little box in the dash that controls the rear wiper. If it has become disconnected or the rear wiper is not working correctly I would check it out. I don't remember exactly where it is but I think it is either behind the gauges or mounted near the front right wiper motor.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Here's the relevant page form the electrical manual. Says park circuit is in the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90_wipers.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	5165  
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm from reading that it sounds like the "park switch" is stuck in the open position! I would imagin that the park switch isn't too hard to find as it would have to be mounted to the wiper motor or where the arm goes into the park position.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm having this same issue. My issue however is that I have replaced my bulkhead and wiring harness with a euro spec 300tdi version, and the leads required to the rear motor are unclear to me. right now, my switch has a single positive that runs to the rear motor. motor works fine, but does not function when I press the wiper fluid momentary, nor does it park. it just stops wherever it is when I turn the switch off. My guess is it should also have a switched constant that runs to the rear motor, that can supply the "parking" power after the wiper switch is turned off, but I'm hoping someone can confirm that. If my assumption is right, which color wire from the wiper motor is the one that would need the constant lead? the wiring diagram I have doesn't make it clear what the function of each lead from the motor is, or the switch.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

My Issue..... Wiper Not Parking when turned to "off" - Resolved
As a follow-up, I just recently came to a conclusion to my issue; "something" had cut just one of the wires that are in the bundle behind the right rear tire. (The bundle is about the diameter of a nickel) I re attached the cut wire and the wiper now works like before. I then re-wrapped and loomed the bundle again to avoid a future cut.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The wiring to a wiper motor is actually a bit complex...... When you release the witch it still need power to park, so there is a non switched power as well as switched power. Make sure you have the non switched power making it to the wiper assembly, ot it won't park.

Anyway, open it up and you can see all of the working bits. Possibly the park switch is dirty.

edit: Oops, I see you found the problem... Ignore at will
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve
Also, am I just dreaming or if you push the rear washers on, did the wiper at one time, come on and cycle and then park? Right now, whey dont come on at all.......
Steve-

Mine does the same thing. I have to activate the washer pump and then turn on the wiper.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions