What kind of DC shafts and axles is GBR selling? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2005, 05:34 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

What kind of DC shafts and axles is GBR selling?

Are the DC shafts that GBR sells their own make, or do they get them from someone else? i.e. Tom Woods or Six States?? I was just wondering if the price difference is because Bill is making a few extra dollars on a Tom Woods one (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) or if they really are different shafts.

Tom Woods retail price = $380
GBR Retail Price = $400

Also wondering about GBR axles too. Are they their own make, or do they get them from somewhere else? What is the difference between GBR axles and Rovertracks axles for instance?

Rovertracks = $400 (from the pics on their site, it looks like the flanges are part of the axle, is this true?)
GBR Rear axle kit w/ flanges = $599

Why such a big difference in price on the axles?

Discuss.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

GBR sells stuff MD axle shafts. The flange on the Rover tracks stuff is part of the shaft, I runnrover tracks rear axles on my 90 with a detroit, the diff will break way before the HD axle shafts!

Do you really want a DC driveshaft, or are you going with +3" of lift? I ran a stock shaft for almost 2 years with 35s and 3" springs, the UJs would need to be changed after a wheeling trip due to mud and and all, I replaced it with a custom shaft made localy for less then $300 and it's holding up rather well and runs 1310 Ujoints which you can get cheap from any autoparts stor as it is the most widely used UJ. Oh and the flanges on the new driveshaft aloow for twice the flex of the stock one.

Just my $.02
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

That's great stuff to know Mike, thanks. What do you mean "MD shafts"? I haven't heard of that before.

As for the DC driveshaft, I'm planning on RTE 3" springs, radius arms (corrected for a DC shaft), trailing links, and then planning on redrilling the swivels to correct the castor and get it back to a stock feel (only taller and flexier, hehe). I figure I might as well while the truck is apart. I know I could probably "get away" with a regular shaft for a while, but I would like to do it as good as I can get it.

Who made your DC for you? The only places that I know of around here that are reputable are Tom Woods and Six States. Both quoted me high $300's. Also, do you have the measurements and some of the technical info that you used to have them build you one? What did you do about the flange at the transfer case? Did they build the driveline to match that, or did you have to swap it out with a flange that matched the new driveline?
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 06:29 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
GBR sells stuff MD axle shafts.
I was under the impression (from talking to Jesse at BWO) that GBR manufactured the axles themselves.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I am pretty sure that they are Maxi-Drive (MD) stuff

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/maxidrive/index.htm

My Front shaft is stock. My rear driveshaft is not a DC, but it has better flanges that allow for more flex. The flange's are for an old Willy's or something and are the same as a Rover so no adapters are needed. I just went into the local driveshaft shop, told them the part # for the flange and said I want a shaft for the my defender. They measured my 90 and made one up all for about $280.

The Spicer Part number for the flange is 2-2-459, and they should be able to come up with the rest for a driveshaft. That Flange is good for 30*, while the stock Rover one is only good for 15*. And the way I see it, it's a ton cheaper to replace UJs when they get cruddy vs a DC.
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:30 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT94D90
I was under the impression (from talking to Jesse at BWO) that GBR manufactured the axles themselves.
Nope. Bill does not make drive shafts. I'm pretty sure GBR sells maxi drives, so you are dealing with currency conversions from Aussie $. RoverTracks otoh source theirs 'locally' (as I recall).
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Rovertracks shafts are made by Moser. They are a made from 1541H.

GBR's 24 spline axles are made by Maxi-Drive. They are Hy-tuf (AMS-6418).

The M-D axles use a better material from an impact loading point of view. However, both should be strong enough (stronger than the ring and pinion).
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:24 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

John B. is correct about the axles
if you are looking for a DC, I have a LR one I can sell you off a disco II, in near new condition. I believe it needs an adapter for the flange which I can get too. The whole thing would be $200 +shipping (If you'll be at the Rally I can bring it). Let me know if your interested.
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Smile

It'd be nice to ask/hear both the vendors about this

P.S.
[John]
Heard from the "duck" recently?
As it seems he's vanished...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:37 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Sheki,
I am interested, but I'm not too familiar with the D2 driveshaft so I have a few questions.

1) Is it pretty durable?
2) Why are you selling it?
3) If $200 includes the flange, let me know how much shipping is to 84097 and I might take it.
4) Do you have some pics of it?
5) Anybody else put a D2 shaft on the front of a D-90? Any problems with going this route?

You can PM me the answers or post.

Everybody,
Thanks for the info on the axles. It sounds like GBR has the best ones (if money were no option) but $200 more??? That's quite a bit more which I don't have. Sounds like that conversion rate must be kind of hard for bill to work with, eh? And it sounds like the Rovertracks ones can handle the job really well anyway.
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

BTW, I found out that GBR uses Six States made driveshafts. They're good ones. That's as much as I know so far.
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:19 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

I installed a DII front DS on my DI. I purchased the adapter from Toddco Susp instead of a new flange.

I don't know if the front DS is the same length for the D90 but here are some pics of the spacer and the DS:

Pic1, Pic2, Pic3, Pic4, Pic5, Pic6

Of course the install was very easy using a Propshaft tool.
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Don't forget thatthe GBR Axles are waisted and the RT's are not, which also accounts for some of the price diff.

EwS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle