What is this part called? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245
What is this part called?

Will someone help me identify this part, and tell me how bad the damage is, and how much it would cost to have it repaired? Everything seems to be fine while I'm driving, I was just looking underneath and saw this part that didn't really look right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	12009   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	12010  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	12011   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	12012  

Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Andy Radlgruber
'94 NAS D-90, 2.8 TGV
Thumbs down

I believe that it is called a pitman arm ball joint and it is a key component in your steering. The rubber boot slips over the collar on the attaching part that the steering damper is mounted to. The rubber boot is there to keep the grease in and the water and muck out of the pitman arm ball joint. This went bad on me and it is not easy to replace the ball joint once it has begun to rust. Pitman arms do not come off easy so I had to swap the joint in situ. It would be best to buy a very heavy duty ball joint remover to get this done easier or just take it to a shop. If you have a lot of play in your steering or when the truck is stationary and you slowly wiggle the steering wheel side to side and the front wheels do not move it should be replaced. If it breaks when your driving down the highway your dead.

Some people are so heavenly minded that they are NO EARTHLY GOOD!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
This is usually called a drop-arm ball joint. The rebuild kit is like 50 bucks or something. The silver thing is a band that is supposed to keep the boot in place, but I cant tell whether it just slipped off or whether the boot is damaged. The top of the bolt looks brand new, so the boot has probably not been put on properly or something caused it to snag and come off. Just move the silver band off, pull the boot back, and inspect it. If it looks ok, pack the hell out of it with grease and put the boot and band back, being carefull to actually get it seated properly. You'll know if the joint is bad if you can get extraneous movement by yanking on it or putting a pry bar to it. It should rotate fore and aft, but not wobble in the socket.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Kevin Houseal
1994 NAS D-90
Ditto their info. It's a Dropped Pitman Arm ball joint. Changing mine really helped tighten up the straight line steering. I tried pickle forks, tie rod seperators, etc. I had to heat/cool/heat my drop arm with a torch and whack it with a 3lb hammer till it broke loose. It's not unusual for guys to take the whole box off to get it out. After tear down I couldn't get the bearing sleeve back in so finally took it to a shop w/ a press to do it for me.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Bad news for it though is that the retaining ring on the pitman arm for holding the rubber boot in place, it's broken off. Did the same time mine trying to rebuild the thing.

The whole pitman arm, with new ball-joint already installed, runs about $100 for the parts. I took it down to a local shop to install, I couldn't get the old one off at all but they did in about 5 minutes.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
If the boot & joint are in good shape I would just pull the boot up, brake clean it to get out any dirt, pack it with grease and pull the boot back over. You can always use something else as a boot retainer like a zip tie or just some wire like what they sell for suspended ceilings. I don't think there is enough room but if you could find one that fits a CV boot type clamp would be great for this too.

"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions