What is the most road friendly locking diff? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2006, 02:32 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

What is the most road friendly locking diff?

I'm tired of spinning wheels and taking crap from rubicon owners. I have been looking to upgrade to a locking diff, at least in the rear. Problem is I have to commute in my truck every day so I need something that will have minimal effect to the driveability. I am not planning on doing any rock crawling so it doesn't need to be bullet proof, but I want something that won't break on me in average off roading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Try the ARB Air locker. More expensive but it has the same road manners (open diff) that you're used to and I haven't broken mine yet.
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe a tru-trac

I think it was said that 1 ARB = 2 tru-tracs.
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2006, 03:55 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

No maintainence, no airlines, no electric, no compressor, Detroit.

I drive a series coiler with one which is part time 4wd and notice no ill effects on road, on a full time setup like your 90 and in FL where you never see snow and ice I would say its a no brainer.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have a Detroit and love and recommend it. However, the ARB when switched off IS an open diff and would be the same drivability as stock.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Davis, does your Detroit make any noises? I have heard that they click a lot while turning and regular driving. Could you elaborate on any changes from stock you have experienced? I am considering one of those.

97 D90 SW
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I can hear mine softly clicking when making a sharp turn, in a truck with more (any) insulation I don't think you would hear it at all. Very occasionally you will wind it up, going through a MacDonalds drive thru for instance, where the turn is not quite sharp enough to get it to ratchet but sweeps 180 degrees. Then it will unwind with a bang that will make you think you broke a u joint. I also notice that coming off a trail onto pavemment it will scrub the inner tire since the dirt on the tread fools the locker into thinking its on a loose surface for a few feet.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The Detroit can be very noisy.....mine makes people look at my truck like WTF is the matter with that thing ...click....click ...click like I'm trying to wind it up before I let it go.. Then the friggin thing will lock up and chirp the tyres and bang ...and try to make the truck go straight on highway offramps.

Not much fun on greasy side hills

Don't highly recommend them for everyday street driven trucks, they wear shit out fast and wear themselves out fast and then the drawbacks become more evident.

ARB's are the best thing going if your pockets are deep enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:31 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

any selectable locker will be the most road friendly. Currently your options are ARB, Macnamera, and the toyota conversion using an ARB.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I've had ARB's for 4 years now. Not a single issue with them and I would not consider any other locker.
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

ARB's for 11 years, and only blew one "U" ring in that time.
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:46 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

ARB... if you ever drive on icy roads you'll be glad you have it. (so you can turn it off)
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, sometimes slick surfaces from just the rain can make it spin--you can learn how to kind of turn it off if you pay attention to when you use the accelerator, but some people are too lazy to learn the tricks and then I say the really suck. I love my detroit, and again, I recommend them for solid, predictable perforance at a great price. But I will one day change mine to ARB's, when I have that kind of expendible money. Yeah, right, but it MIGHT happen! ;-)
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:58 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Yup, I love my Detroits also, don't care about the noise, love driving in the snow, cheap and simple, never broken one, or had a broken one in the shop (can't say that about ARB's)...... but I wouldn't recomend them to anyone as the "most road friendly locking diff" which I think was the question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Whats is final cost of an ARB done right? 1500 or so?
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

In 15 years of installing ARBs we have never had a customer failure related to the locker (customers have broken axles, ring gears and such, but never was the locker itself to blame). We do fix quite a few that were screwed up from an incorrect install (Doing a D2 today that has a bad rear ARB due to a shit install), and the little compressor can have issues if you try to fill tires with it. Not saying what is better or worse, but those are the facts from our shop and customers.
I have run ARBs in my own Rovers for more than a decade with never a failure, no O ring issues, nothing. I have broken a ton of axles and a good number of CVs, but no ARB units.
Others are cheaper for sure and better for some, but ARBs do not have failure problems unless you do something wrong on the install.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I installed some Tru-Trac's both front and rear about a year and a half ago. I really like them. No daily driving issues and the traction offroad is much improved. No noises, clicking, crunching, or anything. I went with the Tru-Tracs b/c of cost, drivability on pavement, and no real need to upgrade axles etc.
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Most people I know have ARB's and they love them. One person only had an issue with an improper install. Otherwise they are great. I went with TruTrac in the front and Detroit in the rear and love the setup. Detroit in rear isn't too noisy. No issues at all as far as on road. Definitly has more bite on pavement. You can't go wrong either way.
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just don't forget, a Defender is full-time 4wd. So you have to be careful what you put in the front axle. A regular detroit in the front is a BAD idea if you like turning when you reach corners.

From your requirement of most street-friendly I will also suggest the ARB, which is also a very good off-road locker as well.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

What about KAM's new Locker with the Heavy Duty solenoid?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions