What is the most road friendly locking diff? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2007, 08:58 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I think those numbers are out of line. Pay someone a couple hundred to set up the 3rd and do the rest yourself, there is no rocket science to bolting in a 3rd and putting in a snap together harness.

FWIW back to the original question, I just pulled a rear Detroit and installed an ARB in my hybrid. Definitely more road friendly. I had no real problem with the Detroit but having the rear just plain open around town is nice.
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM
deslandes
Deslandes stéphane
1998/Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
Really Happy with the detroit in the rear in most conditions (sand in Tunisia, mud, rock...) since 3 years.
Some backlash somtimes, but really no road modifications most of times.
I'm waiting a truetrac in the front in one or two weeks...
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Really? You guys pay 2 g's for installed airlockers? It's that much? I can't believe that. So if you have an Airlocker, GBR 4.11, aftermarket axles, bling CV's and install your looking at what, $3,600? $3,700? Wow.
So.... Can someone who paid to have it done give us a ball park on how much that really costs?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
So.... Can someone who paid to have it done give us a ball park on how much that really costs?
I would really like to know also.....

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
IMHO - I have run Detroit Trutracs and Lockers. I have also run ARBs. When offroad, I need a no-nonsense locker in the rear. For me, Detroit Locker is the way to go. No air lines to worry about hanging up on anything and no worries about the compressor going up. Most of the time, the rear locker is all I need. I don't think I'd ever go with a trutrac in the rear. Granted, the Detroit locker is a bit noisy with the "clicking" and "banging" on-road, but I've NEVER had issues with my detroit lockers in my rovers and I've been running 'em for years.

ARBs - Save 'em for the front. For the 10% of the time you may need them offroad, they are much better than the trutracs. Even with all the mechanics of the ARBs to be concerned about, I'd use 'em in the front over the trutracs most anytime.

Good luck with your choice.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, and as far as pricing...figure up the cost of the parts and figure roughly $150 setup fee per 3rd member (locker and R&P swap)...do the job yourself in a day for both f/r - it's easy to do.
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Monkeyboy

We're still beating on this thread ?

The Disco's got a Detroit in the back and TT in the front. I only hear the Detriot making noise when backing up ... with the windows open.

The combination works great, but can be a little exciting on the street if its very icy.

Truth be told, I haven't been in much mud at all since installing these ... they work great out west though.

KAA ... Detroit / ARB combo in the 109 ... not tested yet
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Okay,

I just did the math based on GBR web pricing:

Front axle inner, CV's and flanges: $1799
Ring and Pinion 4.11: $395
Install Kit: $140
ARB: $721
Install: $300

Grand total $3,355 not including any tax there may be or any freight. This is for the front axle only. Thats a big chunk-o-change right there!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM
nosivad_bor
Rob Davison
1999 Disco1

check the prices for front end axles and stuff with www.rovertracks.com way cheaper. also you cant just change the gears in one axle so add that one twice, and labor too..
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
check the prices for front end axles and stuff with www.rovertracks.com way cheaper. also you cant just change the gears in one axle so add that one twice, and labor too..
Yep,

Rovertracks is a far superior option imo. Still pricey but with this option you really do get some beef.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
i went with a trutrac in the front and a detroit in the rear and have had no problems. go to great basin rover's site and read Bill's write ups all the major choices out there. that's where i learned the most. i called him to confirm my understandings between the different styles and work with him on a recommended solution.

true life experience: at MAR this year i got too busy in a deep mud pit and twisted front shaft in two. the forces even bent my front pinion flange too, but the trutrac is still in fine condition. i think the key really is in how well the set up is carried out. bill did mine, btw, and he's excellent on customer service after the sale too.

Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions