What is the dash light next to the head lamp indicator light? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2014, 07:38 AM
edemusmaximus
Ed O
1990 Defender 90 200tdi

Registry
What is the dash light next to the head lamp indicator light?

Concerning my stock 200tdi D90
There is a red indicator to the left of the Green headlights dash indicator that I recently noticed has been faintly glowing red the faster I drive. It glows brighter as my speed increases. I have a few ideas what it may be, but really unsure. Can you take a guess at a root cause ? I am stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2014, 09:00 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Your picture didn't load.
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:13 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
There were slightly different configurations for the light cluster depending on the market and truck configuration. We need to see a picture of your dash to help you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Here is one

------ Follow up post added December 6th, 2014 09:24 PM ------

Here is an older style

Old December 7th, 2014, 09:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Here is one ------ Follow up post added December 6th, 2014 09:24 PM ------ Here is an older style
The light/icon at the far right with n/a ? is Glow Indicator. I start see him a lot more often when the temps drop below 60 on my NA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:44 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
The light/icon at the far right with n/a ? is Glow Indicator. I start see him a lot more often when the temps drop below 60 on my NA.
It's technically the choke indicator, to remind you that the engine is warm and you still have the choke on. A hold over from the Series trucks.

On my '84 there is an actual glow plug symbol like there is up in the top left of that TD5 dash.

Old December 7th, 2014, 10:52 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Choke light was still used on the defenders for quite a while... All the carbureted defenders had that light.. A switch/contact on the choke cable illuminated that light when the choke was activated.. And the 3rd on from the lower right looks like the gearbox malfunction light.. Possibly used with the gearbox oil temp switch located on the oil cooler bypass housing..to warn of gearbox overheat..??
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
It's technically the choke indicator, to remind you that the engine is warm and you still have the choke on. A hold over from the Series trucks. On my '84 there is an actual glow plug symbol like there is up in the top left of that TD5 dash.
Ah, I get it now. The symbol is on the actually choke knob of carb trucks. My 83 110 uses this icon and I could never reconcile what the picture actually meant.

Old December 7th, 2014, 12:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Choke light was still used on the defenders for quite a while... All the carbureted defenders had that light.. A switch/contact on the choke cable illuminated that light when the choke was activated.. And the 3rd on from the lower right looks like the gearbox malfunction light.. Possibly used with the gearbox oil temp switch located on the oil cooler bypass housing..to warn of gearbox overheat..??
It's a tranny overtemp. It's a gear with a thermometer in it.

To be honest, I think that's what edemusmaximus was wanting to know to begin with, but I wanted to see a picture of the dash to be sure.

If it's slowly turning on, he may have the tranny temp sensor fitted (I don't think it was standard) and it might be slowly warming up.

Old December 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

On the older trucks I have seen they may have a different Warning light cluster depending upon what engine was originally fitted. (petrol or diesel) With these trucks being modified over the years a picture of what you have might help in pinpointing what you have. But no matter....check your grounds
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
on my 200tdi the choke light is retro'd to be the glow plug light - cause it used to have a petrol engine
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Interesting discussion. On my '88 Swiss-market truck, according to the owners manual indicator is supposed to be for a fuel cut-off on diesel trucks. Mine is a petrol though so it has no lamp in it. Seemed odd to me since I thought it looked like a choke symbol as well.

I've even thought I might rig some sort of switch to my choke linkage so that I could use it for this.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:11 AM
edemusmaximus
Ed O
1990 Defender 90 200tdi

Registry
I have been off the grid for a bit, so I really appreciate the thoughtful responses to my question/concern. From the picture, the icon is the glow indicator picture, but like navydevildoc said, it definitely sounds like the Tranny Overtemp. The light doesn't even begin to register a glow until I get to around 55mph, and it just goes up slightly from there. I take it I shouldn't be concerned about this?
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:45 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Glow is yellow.. Tranny temp is red from memory.
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:55 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Assuming this is a manual gearbox with a temp sensor? Have you checked fluid levels? I had a Disco ZF that tortured me with that damn light (looks like something out of 'Gears of War'). The sender, in the cooling line to radiator, had gone tits up. I disconnected the connector, never looked back and never had a problem.
Old December 13th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

check to see if you have anything connected to the tranny temp. I think it will be two black female connectors on the left hand side of the tranny. If they are connected then disconnect and see if the light goes away. If it does then you found the source.
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:24 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Nothing worse than getting a hot tranny..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, ht, lamp