What is the correct type of coolant for a 300tdi? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 24th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What is the correct type of coolant for a 300tdi?

Is there a specific coolant type recommended for a 300tdi engine? I have had a mechanic in the past say my coolant had the "wrong" color (that I had the wrong coolant) for this engine. Can the wrong type of coolant be harmful to the radiator or block? I just bought this Zerex G-05 Coolant to use after I flush the radiator because it said it was for diesel engine and it is supposed to be a mix of conventional and organic acid-based chemistry. Would this be ok to use?

Here's what someone posted on another forum:
Quote:
The standard is an ethylene glycol based (blue) antifreeze with a two year life- at 18.00 for 5litres. The advanced is an OAT antifreeze with a 5 year life at 21 for 5 litres or ready mixed at 18/5l. OAT ( organic acid technology) is for newer aluminium blocks and the two MUST NOT be mixed - it can turn to gel. Look fir the words glycol or OAT in your handbook.
Here's what the 300tdi Workshop Manual says:
Quote:
Use an ethylene glycol based anti-freeze (containing no methanol) with non-phosphate corrosion inhibitors suitable for use in aluminium engines to ensure the protection of the cooling system against frost and corrosion in all seasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Personally I prefer to use the normal life antifreeze.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/co.../antifreeze/40
For the past number of years I've been using Peak, but brand doesn't really matter IMO. I get the 100% and cut it 50/50 with distilled water.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Honesty I think any green diluted to 50/50 would be sufficient, that's what I did when I flushed mine and did the p-gasket.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Why green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind
Honesty I think any green diluted to 50/50 would be sufficient, that's what I did when I flushed mine and did the p-gasket.
Old December 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just similar to what Tom suggested, the basic green is sufficient...not sure that the orange would be an issue, but is probably unnecessary.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Why green?
universal availability would be my primary reason

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have used the new Prestone extended life with success.
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Hey Manimal, MacGyv here.... I use Prestone. I buy the full strength & cut it to 50% with distilled water from WalMart. Why pay someone to cut it to 50% for you? It's green/yellow, in color. Since hoses are somewhat permeable, you'll always have some lose of fluid, ever-be-it so slowly. I top off the level with the 50% solution.
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks McGyver!

I found more info than I ever wanted to know here: http://donsnotes.com/home_garden/auto/antifreeze.html

I got Zerex G-05 because they had very few options at the auto store I was at and it said it was diesel/aluminium engine compatible. It's yellow but after reading the above link it seems the color is irrelevant. Looks like the G-05 should be fine.

Last question. Why distilled water? I was told tap water is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Hey Manimal, Macgyv here.... I use Prestone. I buy the full strength & cit it to 50% with distilled water from WalMart. Why pay someone to cut it 50% for you? It's green/yellow, in color. Since hoses are somewhat permeable, you'll always have some lose of fluid, ever-be-it so slowly. I top off the level with the 50% solution.
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Tap water has impurities (dissolved minerals), distilled water is derived from condensed steam. Steam carries no solids when it goes from the water state to a gaseous state. Water has 3 forms solid, liquid, gas.

Ice doesn't have to go through the liquid state to become a gas.
You may have seen ice go directly to a gas before on your windshield, that process in called sublimation (much like those white stink blocks in a urinal that dissolve but are never wet [mothballs]).

A steam burn is much worse that a boiling water burn. The energy required to go from boiling to a gas (steam) is HUGE. Check this out. To turn 1 gram of ice, 0 degrees Celsius to boil is 100 calories (1 cal = 1gram raised 1 degree C.) To go from 100 degrees C water to steam, requires an additional 540 calories.

http://www.electronicsteacher.com/su...into-steam.php

Actually, steam is an invisible gas, what people usually refer to as "steam" is really condensation, steam returning to the visible state of water at close the boiling point, but below it.

When you put the water or anti-freeze under more pressure (hence a radiator cap) these energy points (boiling etc.) go up. That's why a good radiator cap (pressurized system) is important and always put a rag over a radiator cap when you loosen it when at operating temperatures.
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Distilled it is!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, coolant, tdi