Defender Source Forum banner

What is the best year to buy?

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  leastonce 
#1 ·
All:

I'm planning to buy a RHD D90 SW in the next couple of years. I was planning to buy a '92 (I realize it would have to be stored for a couple of years) because it'll have the stock 200Tdi and LT77S transmission, but I recently learned that build quality went down in the 90's. I know LR made some changes in '88 or '89, but which year do you think is best?

I realize that if I buy an older rig, it'll need some upgrades- but that will be an opportunity to upgrade to rear discs, 200/300Tdi, fit A/C, etc.

I'll likely buy one in the UK (trip tentatively planned for 2015) and ship it back.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

#2 ·
wow. so many question to answer that.

first question is how patient are you to get it?

next question is what is the oldest engine you would accept?

I would think defender build quality is completely separate from any other Land Rover model, and way more stable over the years (not good or bad, but stable).

Figure out engine you want, and bring in the newest one you can get with it that meets your patience threshold.

#4 ·
I heard that nothing worthwhile ever came out of Detroit ... that all the vehicle interiors are made out of the same plastic they use for shopping bags and that the engines are complete dross. If you want to read the source ... look here ...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showpost.php?p=475852&postcount=4

See ... it's on the internet so it must be true!

Reactions: JSBriggs
#8 ·
Generally the rule of thumb would be the best condition truck you can afford. Condition of these trucks has a whole lot less to do with what year it is and everything to do with how it has been used and cared for.

Ie if its been driven in mud and water and then subjected to salted roads, that brine will invariably get into the silt inside the frame that will hold the moisture and eat it from the inside out. A truck that"s not been used as intended and hasn't had the frame filled with mud and water will live a much longer life.

My preference is the earlier trucks having taken a bunch of these apart.

#10 ·
The more I dig into my '86 the more I find it has lead a hard life. Which is totally fine for what I paid for it and my plan to rebuild with galvy pieces.

But Doug has some interesting points that I can confirm in a couple of other recent things. First - there is a NAS 110 in my town and I drove by it the other day while it was at the local foreign car place. The rear cross member has a couple of holes in it and lots of rusty marks by the bulkhead. This is just a couple things I noticed while driving by at 30mph. My UK import does have some snotty pieces to the frame but... the rear cross is still in one piece. It has to be the original as there is some deterioration to it.

While messing with my rear tailgate project today. I noticed the NAS hinges I took off a few years ago show more rust than the ones I pulled off the UK rig.

In both instances, it can totally be how things were maintained. But like I said, that UK rig looks to have taken an ass whoopin and doesn't seem to be that far off from that '93 NAS that seems to have lead a mellow life (I have seen it in town for the past 6 years).

#13 ·
The optimal land rover was made in 1959. Since then it has been a gradual decline in quality. That being said, I would not turn my nose up at a factory 200tdi early 90s model, or for that matter, anything through the end of 300tdi production in the mid 2000s.

I have taken apart an 83 110 regular, worked on an 84 110 SW, done a bunch of stuff on two 94 D90s and a 95 D90 and been through a few NAS 110s. My experience is that the degradation between the early 110s and the NAS spec stuff is pretty minor (setting aside the complexities of the V8 EFI and the abysmal NAS 110 HVAC and interior issues) and could be easily remedied by simply fitting the nice two piece doors and galvanized cappings. Yes, some of the early stuff is marginally better, but the pre-tdi engines just frankly suck compared to a 14CUX V8 or tdi.

#16 ·
All:

Thanks for your responses. To answer a couple of your questions, I am not in a hurry (won't need the rig for another ten years or so) but I definitely want a 200 or 300 Tdi so if I buy anything earlier than a '90 I'll need to do an engine swap. Whatever I buy will get a new galvanized chassis & bulkhead when it's stateside. Ideally I can find a low-mile garage queen and import it.

Reading the few books I have, it looks like the '88 & '89 models had a few 'refinements' (seats moved in, better dash, etc.) so I am tempted to go that route. But if an older one would have better build quality I am ok going that route.

I am not seeing any imports for sale here in the US that I think are worth their asking price, hence my plan to buy one in the UK & bring it in with Doug's help. I hope $10-15k will buy the truck, then another $20 to get the upgrades done.

Thanks again.

Paul.

#18 ·
Whatever I buy will get a new galvanized chassis & bulkhead when it's stateside. Ideally I can find a low-mile garage queen and import it.

I am not seeing any imports for sale here in the US that I think are worth their asking price, hence my plan to buy one in the UK & bring it in with Doug's help. I hope $10-15k will buy the truck, then another $20 to get the upgrades done.
Paul, your logic doesn't make a ton of sense, but if that's your plan, then more power to you!

#19 ·
If you're budget is $10-$15k for a ROW 110 (including shipping, duties etc.), then don't be expecting very much in terms of condition. The best build quality in the world won't matter if every bit of mild steel on the truck is rusted out.
IMO that's what $10-$15k will get you.

Seem like you're focusing on minutiae when (given your modest budget) you should simply be focused on finding a well-cared-for truck of any year.

But, as Josh said, all the best with your decision. We all learn along the way. You asked, we answered.

#23 ·
All:

As stated, I am looking for a 90 CSW, not a 110. I can certainly add to the budget, but the decent trucks I see in the UK for $10-15k are then for sale here for $25-30k.

Interestingly, browsing the UK ads I had noticed more electrolytic corrosion on the bottom of the doors on 90's rigs vs. 80's.

So what year is best in terms of build quality, and where do I get a decent 300Tdi to put in it?

Thanks,

Paul.

#25 ·
With Defenders going out of production, the used market dynamics in the UK will change.

Assuming that then inferring today's UK market on two years or more down the road might be like driving into a muddy puddle only to discover a large rock in the bottom.

#28 ·
The year of the truck is irrelevant. They are all POS. It comes down to how well it was looked after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.