What is the Best front Set up ARB, ROCKWARE, SAFARI GARD? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I love my ARB so much I run it only with synthetic motor oil and I stuck a K&N air filter onto it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Shipman's is my favorite of all of them I have seen or get one from pangolin4x4 aka Ike Goss. They look stock which is why I prefer them.
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Dave whatd you do your 90? Hit a rock?
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I love my ARB so much I run it only with synthetic motor oil and I stuck a K&N air filter onto it.
Do you also use it to plow snow in the winter?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No, I only say stuff like that to be provocative.

Old November 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

I had Rockware make mine the way I wanted it. Design it they way you like and have him give you a quote!
Mine is more 'bowed out" at the sides to give some protection to the front fender in a roll over (like the SG is) but has no smaller bar under the headlights. Had it made for a Superwinch and with integral recovery points. He also added some aux light tabs, which I later removed.
Had the whole thing coated with Speedliner w/ kevlar. Love it.

Follow-up Post:

oh and he also put on hilift jack mounts and limb riser tabs... Matt rocks.
Put it this way, WHY would anyone support a co like SG w/ all the CRAP they have put owners through, when you have a co like RW who consistantly puts out great and custom products w/ no complaints?
I say go RW!
Attached Images

Old November 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverC
I had Rockware make mine the way I wanted it. Design it they way you like and have him give you a quote!
Mine is more 'bowed out" at the sides to give some protection to the front fender in a roll over (like the SG is) but has no smaller bar under the headlights. Had it made for a Superwinch and with integral recovery points. He also added some aux light tabs, which I later removed.
Had the whole thing coated with Speedliner w/ kevlar. Love it.

Follow-up Post:

oh and he also put on hilift jack mounts and limb riser tabs... Matt rocks.
Put it this way, WHY would anyone support a co like SG w/ all the CRAP they have put owners through, when you have a co like RW who consistantly puts out great and custom products w/ no complaints?
I say go RW!

Cliff:

I really like your set up. How did you go about designing it with Rockware? did you just tell him what you wanted it to look like or did you get dimensions. I'm trying to figure out the best way to tell him what I want with out being able measure anything. I like the look of the SG but I don't know how that transfers to the Rockware one. They look really similar....any ideas?

Follow-up Post:

Oh one other question I had was does the protection plate under the bumper come with the set up?
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
I love my Rockware, but this happened to me too, on a very low speed impact from a runaway Jeep. It backed into me, but because the bumper got hit high up (by the Jeep's 35" spare) it must have pivoted on the frame mounting point and creased an eyebrow.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Adam, no the protection plate is a Mantec one. Love it too, along w/ my Southdown front axle skid and rear diff protector.
RW provided the front bumper, rear spare tire/jerry can/ax/shovel/pic/antenna mount, cat skid and frame sliders. Rock sliders are Bill Burke and I love them. Had Mantec ones before, and while the Mantec ones look a bit more refined, the BB ones are amazing!

As to getting the bumper made, I kinda drew (I suck at drawing) what I wanted and he made it. Turned out great. Bumped a few trees with mine and youd never even know it.
Compared to our stock bumpers, anything is an improvement.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
As always, this is another great debate bringing together a wealth of experience, and you have all opened my eyes to Rockware. Don't think I'll get rid of my ARB just yet (still going to do that pendy mod), but if I ever did, I'd go with Rockware now.
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:27 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Does anyone have any input on the Scorpion Racing bumper? http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFR...mp/ETWbump.htm
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
Does anyone have any input on the Scorpion Racing bumper? http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFR...mp/ETWbump.htm
can't say anything about the bumper but I had their rock sliders with the tree bars. They were well made and fit well. I got the galvanized and then painted versions and my only complaint was the paint came off without provocation.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
I like the look of it but is it a concern that there isn't any protection for the front fender/light area? I know a wrap-around can cause more damage than good but I'd want something up front.

What is the setup in the photo on the white D90 in the background?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/images/back4.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	white_d90.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	16515  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

That would be the Rockware that everyone is gaga over.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Dave whatd you do your 90? Hit a rock?
Not me, a club member. Hit a tree at about 10 mph.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
I actually think he was referring to the fact I changed out the original wheels on the truck to all black.....they were white castors before. So now it looks more mean. See pic below....the before.

I think your truck looks plenty mean. And I don't like the way you said "Pastel".....it's "Pistachio"....WTF
Old news, but I was referring to losing the white wheels for the black ones!
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch
I like the look of it but is it a concern that there isn't any protection for the front fender/light area? I know a wrap-around can cause more damage than good but I'd want something up front.

What is the setup in the photo on the white D90 in the background?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/images/back4.jpg

That's Jorges truck in the photo. Rockware bumper (OF Course) with light bar in the middle.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I am still waiting on a response from ECR regarding the copy of the SG bumper they make. What changes did they make if any before putting a ROX sticker on it. Not a slam but just curious.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
I am still waiting on a response from ECR regarding the copy of the SG bumper they make. What changes did they make if any before putting a ROX sticker on it. Not a slam but just curious.

Very few. We made it a little stronger on the blade section by using thicker material and a few extra pieces for strength, and now we add the recovery points to them (welded on), but the main reason for the ROX front bumper was that customers wanted them and SG could not produce them fast enough (if at all sometimes) for us.
We don't really mail order them as packing them would be a bitch, as would cross country shipping. They weren't really made as a mail order alternative, but more to satisfy in shop demand.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch
I couldn't find a good answer for the side protection so I decided to build my own. Turned out ok with more work to do (I also want a strong brush guard as well to protect the light area): http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16987
I already ending up pushing on a (small! ;-) ) tree with it and nothing bent/cracked on me.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions