What is the Best front Set up ARB, ROCKWARE, SAFARI GARD? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I have a Rockware and have been happy with the quality.

(kevin - whose that guy in the orange jumpsuit)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winterromp (Small).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	16442  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by agavelvr
It's funny how passionate people get about their bumpers : )
If it really "suxs" offroad, how come Bill Burke has one on the front of his rig?
I don't think you could go wrong with any one of the three personally, but it depends on what your goals are.
As Fidel said because they are one of his sponsors.
Bills bumper was so modified from the original ARB design that when ARB USA saw a publicity photo (think he said it was a BFG KM2 ad) they sent him a new stock one and "suggested" he should install it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by agavelvr
It's funny how passionate people get about their bumpers : )
If it really "suxs" offroad, how come Bill Burke has one on the front of his rig?
I don't think you could go wrong with any one of the three personally, but it depends on what your goals are.
Yes... passionate it is... ARB bumpers suck. i was trying to be nice.. now i will just be honest. Rockware or Die. Or one of the new ECR bumpers look nice too..
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
BECFA
Scott
'95D90ST

I really the Safari Guard setup on my 95. In fact, I like the SG 3-link and the SG rear tire rack too. I hope they do you right if you order from them, it will help their PR image a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front in KS.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	16443  
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Scott, nice looking truck. What color is your 90? It looks Grey in the picture.

Also, what is on the hood? A basket?

Old November 18th, 2008, 12:06 AM
BECFA
Scott
'95D90ST

Oh man, don't tell my wife it is for drying sweaters!! I will be driving around with laundry clipped to my rover... well, maybe it will be kinda cool if she leaves the G strings and wonder bras! The gel cups can keep your ears warm in the winter!

The Rover was repainted in LR bottany grey. Was black when new, but looks nicer to me. It's only money!!

The rack is from the Brit military Wolf (Wimik) gun trucks. They carry extra ammo in the rack and other odd items! I "may" have acquired a pair of them from a RAF supply SGT in the desert.... amazing what Jack Daniels and beer can get!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wimik basket.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	16444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04328a.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	16445  

Name:	Wimik basket tan.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	16446  
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
How about Devon 4x4's bumper kit? It includes the steering guard that attaches to the cross member under the radiator. They have both low mount and high mount winch options. Only trouble is there is no distribution in the US yet. www.devon4x4.com

It is seriously strong, I have hit the skid on rocks in Moab and also the bumper ends on trees in Washinton, only scuffs so far...

Old November 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Art Vigil had the sweetest Rockware yet. Its on here somewhere..
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield
How about Devon 4x4's bumper kit? It includes the steering guard that attaches to the cross member under the radiator. They have both low mount and high mount winch options. Only trouble is there is no distribution in the US yet. www.devon4x4.com

It is seriously strong, I have hit the skid on rocks in Moab and also the bumper ends on trees in Washinton, only scuffs so far...

I like that setup. Similar to the Rockware without the brush bar. How was it to get it over here?
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Harward
I think I've decided against the ARB. It's down to SG and Rockware. Emailed SG and got a email back five minutes later from their CEO. He said they are getting inventory ramped up so that when they come back online there won't be a wait for their parts. I'm still a little leery based upon what people have said on the board.
Dude, you got an e-mail from the CEO. It doesn't get any more legit than that.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Well, I don't know anything about who this guy is....his title on the email said CEO. Sounded legit but I'm still a little skeptical
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Has anyone mentioned the new offering from Rovertym?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...72&postcount=9
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Too me, they all look the same.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I definitely vote ARB, as I doubt the Safarigard and Rockware have even a 10th of the crash protection testing and engineering that ARB has put into theirs. ARB's are true bullbars, meant to take a smack into large animals in the outback. yes you do lose some clearance, so the buyer will need to decide what's important. ARB's have a singular goal...to save the radiator so you can get home.

BTW, Pendy has an ARB mod, that resolve the ARB clearance issue, that I have yet to do, but plan to at some point.
I agree with Mark on the crash testing. I was involved in an accident in my 80 series Landcruiser and the ARB saved the truck from being a total loss.

Any pics of the pendy-modded ARB? Very interested. I feel like I've seen pics but can't remember where.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW- the Rovertym bumper on the NAS 110 was @ Uwharrie Safari last spring. The welder from Rovertym took me over to show it to me, he had just finished it a couple of days before and was quite proud of it.. The thing was impressive to say the least. It had the usual clean Rovertym lines and was massively built (looked heavier than my Rockware).

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Harward
Well, I don't know anything about who this guy is....his title on the email said CEO. Sounded legit but I'm still a little skeptical
Be very skeptical...scratch that, you should never buy anything from them ever!!! I waited 2 years for a 3-link, they just recently sent the rest to me. But I am still missing two end pieces to the 3-link.

If you order the bumper from them, you will pay in full and possibly wait up to 2 years to get anything. They say the company is new and better form the old SG but I still haven't seen it yet.

Get the Rockware. Like Randy keeps saying, it really is the best bumper. I have one and could not be happier. Its bombproof. The SG one isn't even boxed in on the back side I don't think.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Get the Rockware. Like Randy keeps saying, it really is the best bumper. I have one and could not be happier. Its bombproof. The SG one isn't even boxed in on the back side I don't think.
It's not I wonder what Rockware would charge to duplicate the SG design with a heavier build (or if he would), now that would be cool...

Wasn't ECR reproducing the SG bumper? If so, were there any changes to it to make it stouter?

Old November 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Who's defender is this? Looks like an ARB, but with wrap-around guards. How can I go about getting this?

Old November 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I can vouch for the strength of the Rockware bumper. I've hit trees while skidding down a muddy hill at MAR wil know damage to the bumper or truck. On the other hand I've seen an ARB's welds split after a similar hit.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
I can vouch for the strength of the Rockware bumper. I've hit trees while skidding down a muddy hill at MAR wil know damage to the bumper or truck. On the other hand I've seen an ARB's welds split after a similar hit.
don't think that rockware is immune to a split weld.

http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/image/33543233/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/image/33543228/large.jpg

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEIS
Who's defender is this? Looks like an ARB, but with wrap-around guards. How can I go about getting this?
Build it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions