What is the Best front Set up ARB, ROCKWARE, SAFARI GARD? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 16th, 2008, 09:26 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
I agree, the Rockware bumper looks much meaner on a Pastel Green truck, than the SG one on a white truck... :-)
I actually think he was referring to the fact I changed out the original wheels on the truck to all black.....they were white castors before. So now it looks more mean. See pic below....the before.

I think your truck looks plenty mean. And I don't like the way you said "Pastel".....it's "Pistachio"....WTF
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by agavelvr
I just bought a pair of HD Sliders from Safari Gard this September. The have a new business arrangement and are making most of their stuff again. Just make sure you pay with a CC or get the item first and then pay in case there is a problem.

I was considering one of the big 3 (SG, Rockware, and ARB) for my new front bumper. I really like the look of the SG & Rockware units, but ultimately I decided on the ARB because it feels much stronger.

If you are going to upgrade your tire carrier, you might want a more unified aesthetic to you truck. In that case, I would probably go w/SG or Rockware because they just look really nice on a Defender and the added functionality to the tire rack is great.

good luck,
Jeff
Did you end up getting your sliders from SG after having ordered them? I would want to know that they are actually changing things and actually shipping items before doing anything.
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I like Bearmach, keep the factory look and strong (1/4" steel )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
I actually think he was referring to the fact I changed out the original wheels on the truck to all black.....they were white castors before. So now it looks more mean. See pic below....the before.

I think your truck looks plenty mean. And I don't like the way you said "Pastel".....it's "Pistachio"....WTF
I was just spicing it up... I think all of us have been watching the build up of your truck with awe and excitement.

Hope to see you on a trail one day soon,

Scott

Old November 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

LOL......not many trails in Lincoln Park Chicago.
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:31 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I dig this: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=7135

Or how about a Rockware bumper with some SG traits?
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:36 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
The Red one looks like ARB is it a modified ARB or something. It does look really good though
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:25 AM
agavelvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Harward
Did you end up getting your sliders from SG after having ordered them? I would want to know that they are actually changing things and actually shipping items before doing anything.
Yes, I ended up getting the SG sliders. I talked to them about their reputation for quality customer service and on time shipping...LOL. Mary didn't bill me until I had recieved the sliders. Once I got around to installing them, I found out that they had actually shipped me two of the driver side sliders instead of one for each side. To their credit, they shipped me out a replacement part and all was well.

They appear to be gearing back up and getting down to business. SG was one of the sponsors for the AZLRO land rover ralley this year...

http://www.azlandroverrally.com/Pages/Sponsors.aspx

Mary told me they had some front bumpers and rear tire racks in stock when we were clearing up the slider issue. Good luck with your choice.

Jeff
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
If you are asking purely from a design/aesthetic standpoint, I;d vote Safari Gard. I'd love to see a Safari Gard design made in a box section construction, from heavier gauge steel, and thicker wall tubing. I love the design, look and function of my Safari Gard, but if the worst were to happen, I would like it to be made a little stronger...

P.S. -- Anyone have photos of a truck with an SG bumper that took a solid head on impact?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The ARB one is a Brick and sux off road. It is not stronger. I have crash tested my RW bumper with great results
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
That is a nice one especially with the integrated skid plate / steering guard......I was torn between the two....can you even get Safari Gard anymore??
I was hoping my brother would jump in here. He has been trying to get a bumper made for his 110 by SG since August.

There have obviously been problems. He asked for an update @ 1 point and they told him it was @ the powdercoater but that the powder coater wanted SG to grind down the weld spatter etc so that the bumper would coat properly. A week later brother asked for another update and guess what, they didn't clean it up but rather had the powder coater go ahead and try and it didn't turn out well. So SG wanted to charge additional money to grind down the welds to make it right. I think they were also going to have to remove all of the coating on the bumper. That they would try to charge the customer for their own lack of craftsmanship/product ownership/responsibility is indicative that nothing has changed imho.

I have both an ARB and a Rockware on two 110's right now. There is no comparison in the strength/rigidity category . The metal on the ARB is quite a bit thinner than than the thick rectangular tubing that Matt @ Rockware uses. The Rockware bumper is made from a thickwall rectangular tube that is cut open with a plasma cutter and tapered etc. The ARB is not a solid bumper but rather a three sided stamped steel with reinforcement welded in from the back side.
The comparison of the two is like comparing a "box" steel frame design to the "C" chanel frame design on trucks. One is rigid, one flex's.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
LOL......not many trails in Lincoln Park Chicago.
nikojo
Is that your truck that I have seen near Broadway Fullerton area in Lincoln Park? Family and I are down there often in the summer.
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

No Cred not yet......had a black D90 for a few years.

This new one has not seen Chicago yet. If you see the giant Pistachio please flag me down.

Is there a big D90 community in Chicago??

Follow-up Post:

This new one has not seen Chicago yet. If you see the giant Pistachio please flag me down.

Old November 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:

Follow-up Post:

We see a a few in the city in the Lincoln Park, Chinatown, Hyde Park and Gold Coast. There are a few guys in the Chicago Land Rover Club who wheel their defenders frequently. The website is http://www.chicagolandroverclub.com/. I don't think I would call it a large defender community by any criteria.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but make sure whatever bumper you get will
be compatible with the winch you are planning to use.
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Good point.

I believe the RockWare bumpers need some mods for the Husky brands. Which I believe they are happy to do as long as you tell them.

Does anyone know is the 8274 will fit on a RockWare without any mods to the bumper beforehand???

Randy.....what's your winch??
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
agavelvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
The ARB one is a Brick and sux off road. It is not stronger. I have crash tested my RW bumper with great results
It's funny how passionate people get about their bumpers : )
If it really "suxs" offroad, how come Bill Burke has one on the front of his rig?
I don't think you could go wrong with any one of the three personally, but it depends on what your goals are.
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavelvr
It's funny how passionate people get about their bumpers : )
If it really "suxs" offroad, how come Bill Burke has one on the front of his rig?
I don't think you could go wrong with any one of the three personally, but it depends on what your goals are.

Maybe because Bill is sponsored by ARB and he gets those parts for free?

I had an ARB on my 97 and took a very small hit to the front lower section (slipped off a rock) and it folded up and locked the winch drum. That was it for me and ARB bumpers.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Good point.

I believe the RockWare bumpers need some mods for the Husky brands. Which I believe they are happy to do as long as you tell them.

Does anyone know is the 8274 will fit on a RockWare without any mods to the bumper beforehand???

Randy.....what's your winch??
Rockware builds them to order and will make one for an 8274 if you ask, I have one.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
I think I've decided against the ARB. It's down to SG and Rockware. Emailed SG and got a email back five minutes later from their CEO. He said they are getting inventory ramped up so that when they come back online there won't be a wait for their parts. I'm still a little leery based upon what people have said on the board.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions