what is better? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

what is better?

hey guys, i find this to be a hard question, who makes better front winch bumpers safari gard or rockware, or any one else, and who makes the best tire carrier and rear bump. safari gard or rockware or some one else?

also price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2007, 11:43 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

"The Best" is always personal preference.... I have a SG brush bar and love it. I have used and abused it an it has always treated me right. But, I did not like that I had to trim the frame horns, replace and move my transmission cooler, not to mention, I had to cut my grill to get the Husky 10 to fit right.

As far as tire carriers, what would you like to do with it? I want a SG, because I like the looks, the ability to carry extra fuel and move my High-lift.

Rockware makes some great products, I have several of the skid-plates, frame sliders, trailing arms, suspension setup and a few others I can't think of.

You may want to look into custom work too, that way you could get everything you want out of it.

Scott

Old February 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I just got my Rockware Brush Bar. As stated, it's a personal preference. My Rockware Brush Bar is a bit more custom than what they normally make, the fact that they were willing to make what I wanted, was one of a few reasons why I went with them. Plus all the grief I've heard about SG in regards to them shipping out what you paid for when they say they would was a factor as well.

Here is a thread from a few members who had strong opinions on the subject: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...light=rockware

The guys at Rockware don't f* around!

In regards to a tire carrier: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=rockware+tire

As much as I really like the Safari Gard Tire carrier, the idea of drilling new holes in my D doesn't sit well with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Pangolin 4x4 makes some really nice original style bumpers. Same with shipman's design. If you want bling, I would go with rockware for the customer service over SG.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Steve, i use a Rockware bumper. i too did not want to modify my frame, grill, or trans lines to install a SG bumper once i realized that RW was as good or better with out these mods. i think also that the RW may even have a slightly better approach clearance than SG; at least it looks that way to me when comparing it to my buddy's SG bumper. my experience with RW was they were excellent on customer service too. i could tell they're still a closely held group and SG may have moved-on a bit from an overall marketing perspective.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:43 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Love my Rockware bumper. I've crashed into trees and just bounced off with no damage. It was very easy to fit with no mods to the truck. Plus they will customize it anyway you want. I would have liked a Rovertym becasue i like Steve's stuff but he'll never make one for a 90.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

You don't need to drill any holes to install a SG tire carrier. I have the Rockware tire carrier and am not very happy with it all. If I had to do it over again I would have kept my SG carrier and modified the ladder for the roof rack.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

IMO the SG tire carrier has some sucky mounts. I have spent more time trying to get the SG carrier to not fall paart or rip wholes in the body than It woudl have taken me to build a new one. With that said I do abuse most things I own.
So far I haev ripped a whole in my back door (IMHO the use of the stock mounting plate bushing thing is a bad idea). I now have it completely seperate from the rear door, with a welded latch on the crossmember. this setup is much better and actually holds the carrier but now on the body side where the hemi joints are the weight of spare/cans/hilift are rippling the body and will eventually fail.

The damage I have experienced is from weeks upon weeks of washboard, so this may not be a problem for everyone, but it sure is for me. I always liked the look of that old shockworks (?) carrier that used the giant pivot that was attached to the frame. I think I'm going to eventually end up adapting the SG carrier similar to that... what a PITA.

as far as the SG bumper goes it is great... although I have never owned a rockware
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
I just got my Rockware Brush Bar. As stated, it's a personal preference. My Rockware Brush Bar is a bit more custom than what they normally make, the fact that they were willing to make what I wanted, was one of a few reasons why I went with them.
Just out of curiosity... what type of customization did you request? I have been wanting a RockWare bumper with light surround bends that more closely follow the angles of the fender wings.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:39 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabus
Just out of curiosity... what type of customization did you request? I have been wanting a RockWare bumper with light surround bends that more closely follow the angles of the fender wings.
I pretty much had RockWare build a brush bar with all options, along with wrap around sides. Sounds like what you mentioned above. I wanted something similiar to how my stock brush bar wrapped around the sides of truck.

I hope that made sense...
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I like my ARB. It gets the job done for about $650 or so.

But it's limited to Warn winches. And only a few at that. Also, it's approach angle isn't spectacular either.

I think both SG and RW cost a bit more. Perhaps one of the guys above could chime in with the price.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I think your choice is limited. SG states they don't make Rover products anymore.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The best thing to do is wait a bit and see what comes up used. Lots of them get sold here.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I just bought a brand new rockware with no brush bar or light tabs. IT was $625 I will post pics when it gets here in the next few days
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Also...when you're upgrading the front bumper, and maybe throwing in a winch, you'll have to upgrade your front springs to handle the extra weight. Not sure if you'd have to do any upgrading in the rears. If you go electric with the winch, you may need an extra battery with a split charge system...and on and on it goes...deeper into the rabbit hole.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Mine 3 years ago was about $750 shipped to virginia.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

TheMaxx, can you post or email a pic of yours. It sounds very much like what I am wanting.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates
TheMaxx, can you post or email a pic of yours. It sounds very much like what I am wanting.
Sure! I still haven't taken it out of the box to install just yet, I'm in C-bus, Ohio...the weather hasn't exactly been paradise. But I'll try and take pics real soon and post.

Ade
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftRW.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	8304   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideRW.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	8305  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TopRW.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	8306  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

now that, is nicccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee, i think rockware might be the one to go with....can you send me more info on your bumper..... pm please all the info on your bumper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions