What is a 95 d-90 Salvaged Title worth ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Question What is a 95 d-90 Salvaged Title worth ?

Its a 1995 D 90 Soft top with 66,000 Miles

The body has small to large dents pretty much on every body pannel.
Second gear Grinds ( LT 77) needs rebuild
THe motor is a 4.2 L that was rebuilt and installed about 50,000 Miles ago. Slight cam and a 4.2 Chip with 3 inch exaust. Etc Runs Great
Radiator upgraded to a 4 core and electric fan installed.
Oil Cooler lines Upgraded and Fire sleaved
Thransfer Case is geared 1.4 to 1
Factory Trailer wiring Harness
ARB air Lockers Front And Rear (currently not installed)
ARB Compressor
Rock Sliders
Safari Gaurd 3 Link and cross member
Safari Gaurd Front Diff Gaurd
Rover tym 2 inch lift
Camel Trophy Bumper and Brush Guard (needs Repaint)
Husky 8000 lb winch (needs Solonid pack
Odessy 1700 Battery
5 allied Bead locks with Kumo Muds
5 stock d 90 Rims
5 stock Nato Rims
Bikin top Excelent condition
Sara top Excelent Condition
Soft to Poor Condtion mabe a 2 out of a Three
Brand New Toneau Cover still in box
Rear seat and brackets and Belts ok conditon
Complete roof rack with dimond plate top and mounts for high lift and sand Ladders. (slightly Bent Hit a tree branch needs new front mounting Brackets.

extras.
Front and rear axle sets 3 cvs
Mass Air Flow sensor
Distributor and Igniton Module
Tie Rod ends all 4
Factory Light bar that Mounts on front Bumper Brand New
Factory door seals were rock sliders mounted
Factory radius arms and sway bars
One Complete 4.O motor Torn down ready cleand and ready for Assembly
Extra Diffs Front and Rear
A/c compressor (was going to use for air Compressor) + air tank
Hard Top Not complete Good Top, back cornner and rear Hatch ( no Sides.)
Safari Gaurd Steering Guard.
Lots lots More.

I hate to sell but i am forced to. So can you guys let me know what it is worth. I dont want to rip any one off or get to little for it. I was Thinking in the area of 15-17k ?

Thanks
Scott Falter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

pictures are worth a thousand words...
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You'd probably make more for returning the truck to stock and parting out the upgrades, but of course that is a great deal of work, if you even have all the stock parts.

Salvage title is definitely a value problem, especially since most banks now ask about it.

You're ultimately selling a toy here, and there might be a lot of value for 15-17k with all those extras, but its still probably been wheeled hard (lots of dents, bad trans, non stock t-case) and is not exactly 100%. Also, the truck allegedly getting a new motor at 16k miles demands some kind of explanation, because the first assumption is that the mileage is wrong (the bad trans corroborates this assumption). The other possible assumption is that it was wrecked at 16k miles and carelessly rebuilt with whatever parts were available and/or cheap (4.2, 1.4 box etc).

So the issue is not so much what the truck is worth, but the difficulty in convincing a buyer that this truck is a known-quantity. I think most people will low-ball their offer on the expectation that they're buying a can of worms.

My approach would be to sell off as many of the accessories as possible and market the truck for 11-12k. You'll come out pretty close in the end and the only difference will be the extra effort required to pull and ship parts. Plus you'll be able to confidently state that this is a cheap Defender with no implied promises.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

It was salvaged due to a light roll over in the sand the insurance company messed up there Bad.

I was a land rover Tech for 6 years In Santa Barbara. I replaced the motor for more power because i could due it fairly cheaply at the time. I also replaced the transfer box for the better gear Ratio for the bigger tires i was runing. The transmisssion was replaced because the old R 380 Broke off the out put shaft Never seen that happen before. I had A LT 77 Siting at home so i installed that. There was no mecanical problems at all due to the Salavage. It Dented both front fenders the bonnet one side rear fender and broke the windshield. Also the soft top got ripped in the middle.
To get it back on the rod legaly i but a windshield in it and had the brake and light inspection done. No bent axles no frame damage just cosmetics. The Lockers, 3 link and sliders all came after just for the fun of it.
The Bead locks i got because i kept getting sand or dirt in the beads and the tires would go flat. Spare parts just colected over Time.

I will try to post pictures of it as soon as i Can.

Thanks
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That answers a lot of questions. Normally you'd be the third owner since all that was done and you'd have no idea why a new truck got a new motor.

I still say sell the accessories to put $$ in your pocket and lay the truck off cheap.

Old November 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Was wondering how a 95 had a 77. I had a 94 with a salvage title. I fixed it ( no dents anywhere/all new parts) and converted it to a SW with a SD rack. It was a black special edition with leather seats. It had 38k when I sold it and I got 18.5k last January.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 17th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

The R 380 Broke off the out put shaft and i had a LT 77 in the garage. It was free so i put that in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, d-90