Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#3,104 ·
Got stuck today outside the amavida coffee shop in rosemary beach, fl. when I got back in the truck, tried to start, starter motor did not engage and just spun non-stop. Had to disconnect the battery to get the starter to stop spinning even with the ignition off. It spun for so long that the battery started to lose charge and when I got a jump the starter finally quit spinning and I was able to start it and get it to engage. After that I drove to O'Reillys to get a new battery as mine was five years old. I'm hoping the old battery was the issue because I've already replaced the starter and as I recall it was fairly difficult extracting the two allen bolts.

#3,110 ·
Replaced my starter tonight, the new battery did not solve my issue and the starter gear would still sometimes just spin without kicking the gear out. Removal went easier the second time around (first was ~60,000miles ago when I had to cut the head of one of the bolts off and the rest of the bolt came out just using my fingers!). The hardest part this time was removing and re-installing the heat shield. On removal it wouldn't come out the bottom and on refit it took quite a bit of patience and manipulating to get the heat shield back in place and then in just the right spot to start the one 10mm bolt that secures it to a bracket in the RH motor mount bracket.

Attachments

#3,113 · (Edited)
wasting my life rebuilding my truck.

Designed and built a new minimalist dash based on lessons I learned over the last 5 years. 5052 and 3003 aluminum. I was inspired by a ride in a Robinson R44.

I'm not sure what gauge I want for the center. I originally thought a clock, but then I realized that I don't have a gauge for my OBA. Choices choices..

Attachments

#3,114 ·
wasting my life rebuilding my truck. Designed and built a new minimalist dash based on lessons I learned over the last 5 years. 5052 and 3003 aluminum. I was inspired by a ride in a Robinson R44. I'm not sure what gauge I want for the center. I originally thought a clock, but then I realized that I don't have a gauge for my OBA. Choices choices..
Very very nice!

I am going to do something like that but about half size - but at the rate I am going to will be this time next year before I get to it.

#3,143 ·
I've been using Permatex 80078. I bought the tub like 3 years ago and it's finally starting to run out, and I may try something different, but mostly out of curiosity than need. I think any aluminum or nickel based product will work just fine. Keep in mind these products are designed for very harsh, high temperature environments so we're not asking much of them.

As for condition...It really depends on where the truck lived in the state. The ones living on the coast are usually pretty tired, but I've been surprised by a few lately. They're traditionally much, much better than the ones I see coming out of the North, though.

-Ash

#3,144 ·
Replaced the Turbo boost diaphragm and a pyrometer / VDO gauge....the boost diaphragm was totally shot..not just a small hole but torn...truck is running sooo much better...pulls nice and strong and is back to starting up with very little glow on the first turn of the key...placed the pyro probe just under the inlet of the turbo so should get some good readings...

#3,146 ·
Pulled the oil filter housing on my OM617 to retap and seal an unused sensor hole. Total pain in the ass. All the work to remove it and it seems I have broken a subsequent part within the oil filter housing itself. It is essentially a sprung plastic finned back flow protection valve in which the small broke off. Best I can tell, worst case scenario this could cause the valve to remain open. . Not sure what that would mean. Why can't things be more simple?

#3,148 ·
Pulled the oil filter housing on my OM617 to retap and seal an unused sensor hole. Total pain in the ass. All the work to remove it and it seems I have broken a subsequent part within the oil filter housing itself. It is essentially a sprung plastic finned back flow protection valve in which the small broke off. Best I can tell, worst case scenario this could cause the valve to remain open. . Not sure what that would mean. Why can't things be more simple?
Dude, I hear Ya. Seems 75% of the stuff I touch the first time goes sideways on me somewhere. My wife and kids love to give me a hard time about it. I have a buddy that owns a small shop and works alone and he says it's the nature of the beast and few things are more valuable than experience. It's a tough-ass school though and takes some thick skin at times.

#3,147 ·
Began Dynomatting the rear cargo area, removed Nakatanenga seat rails, (loved the legroom, but tool tall for me), and installed Alpine SWE-1200 powered subwoofer to back of console. Mates well with factory Alpine 133 deck.

And ran into JimC in his sweet 130 at the grocery store.