What have you done to your Defender today. - Page 86 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 15th, 2015, 07:18 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Once again, missing a few lugnuts -Jeff
Hahaha I think we all are
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Fit some wolfs with XZLs to the RRS
that's a good look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
now thats funny

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Ruthiford
Jason
1986 D110

Changed the oil in my transmission and T case.

Used Redline MTL in the transmission, it shifts noticeably better now.

------ Follow up post added March 15th, 2015 09:25 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Same again at the front wheels?
Had to remove the front shaft and dyno it with the Tcase locked. $65 for the Etest....
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
shabby chic?

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Truck is looking pretty aggro. Couple suggestions, the air hose will get UV'ed out if you leave it exposed like that. With dangerous consequences if it blows. Get rid of that land anchor tow hitch, and please share what's wrong with the high lift? They are infinitely rebuildable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

I really need to buy a new hi-lift jack...this thing is on its last legs!

------ Follow up post added March 16th, 2015 10:49 AM ------

Don't look like they will tuck.

Quote:

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Truck is looking pretty aggro. Couple suggestions, the air hose will get UV'ed out if you leave it exposed like that. With dangerous consequences if it blows. Get rid of that land anchor tow hitch, and please share what's wrong with the high lift? They are infinitely rebuildable.

------ Follow up post added March 16th, 2015 10:49 AM ------

Don't look like they will tuck.
He doesn't need to worry....he needs to wheel it first
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:16 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

If they would fit for real they would tuck easy. I have 32" on the RRS now. And they are real wide. But this talk is gibberish!

Get back to Defender love
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Couple suggestions, the air hose will get UV'ed out if you leave it exposed like that. .
Or stolen...is that da hood in the background?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:11 PM
SidewaysWaffle
Dan Capo

Repainted rear crossmember which was in much better condition than anticipated after stripping the original paint.

Old March 17th, 2015, 08:35 PM
meatman
GR
1997 Defender 90

UPDATE! Warning About Urban Offroad

Back in October 2014, when I posted the entry below, I praised Derek Chase of Urban Offroad for the rack and ladder system he made for me.

Well, just a short time after, when the first very light rain hit here in So. Cal, I discovered that the rack had not been properly powder coated because it began to exhibit rust at several of the weld joints. I called Mr. Chase about getting it repaired, and his response was, "I never warranted the finish," and he refused to personally help with the repair. Not only was this false (he never mentioned that it or anything else was not covered, and I never waived it), the goods were and still remain covered by several implied warranties, all of which this guy has refused to accept.

So here we have a merchant who produces an entire series of racks and other accessories for off-road vehicles that can't even stand up to a light drizzle, and he claims they're not warranted for that purpose. Huh?

I made many calls and sent several emails, all of which were ignored. Finally, when Mr. Chase did respond, it was in the form of highly offensive emails.

Obviously, I will never again endorse Mr. Chase or his business, but I also want to clearly revoke my previous, positive comments. I hope this post will provide a warning to my fellow forum members here at Defender Source, so that nobody else might rely on them and end up in a similar situation.

That said, this entire discussion might be moot since Mr. Chase told me back in October that he was going to close his shop in April 2015, after his lease expired. So if you're getting ready to send him a deposit for some future work, you might want to inquire before you do.

Old March 18th, 2015, 01:02 AM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
Tested Front Runner Surf Racks

Tested out the Front Runner Paddle Board / Surf rack with two paddle boards. Works Great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	116303  
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:24 AM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
Back in October 2014, when I posted the entry below, I praised Derek Chase of Urban Offroad for the rack and ladder system he made for me.

Well, just a short time after, when the first very light rain hit here in So. Cal, I discovered that the rack had not been properly powder coated because it began to exhibit rust at several of the weld joints. I called Mr. Chase about getting it repaired, and his response was, "I never warranted the finish," and he refused to personally help with the repair. Not only was this false (he never mentioned that it or anything else was not covered, and I never waived it), the goods were and still remain covered by several implied warranties, all of which this guy has refused to accept.

So here we have a merchant who produces an entire series of racks and other accessories for off-road vehicles that can't even stand up to a light drizzle, and he claims they're not warranted for that purpose. Huh?

I made many calls and sent several emails, all of which were ignored. Finally, when Mr. Chase did respond, it was in the form of highly offensive emails.

Obviously, I will never again endorse Mr. Chase or his business, but I also want to clearly revoke my previous, positive comments. I hope this post will provide a warning to my fellow forum members here at Defender Source, so that nobody else might rely on them and end up in a similar situation.

That said, this entire discussion might be moot since Mr. Chase told me back in October that he was going to close his shop in April 2015, after his lease expired. So if you're getting ready to send him a deposit for some future work, you might want to inquire before you do.

I dislike powder coat for this very reason. Paint can be touched up, powder coat can't. Cut your losses, scuff it and paint it.
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:49 AM
meatman
GR
1997 Defender 90

Good point. I already had to do this to the grille guard, which had powder coat sections literally lifting away from the metal. Paint is easier all around.
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:22 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Not to take this conversation too far off but one of the problems writing a review after we first buy a product or obtain service is that we are still in the "honeymoon" period.

The product or service has not survived the test of time and use. That is why Consumer Reports asks for reviews after people have owned a vehicle for some time. Its amazing to me that people will spend big $$ to buy a new Land Rover given their dismal record of quality ratings by most sources. Of course those of us who own Defenders are a different class of people.. mostly masochists I suspect.

Looking at reviews on web sites is a hit an miss. Unless the person had a problem immediately after purchasing the product, most reviews are initial purchase experience.

I can empathize with buying something that doesn't even meet the minimum level of quality. Any wonder why this guy maybe going out of business?
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:26 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post

you should post this in a separate thread. it'll get buried here.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:20 PM
meatman
GR
1997 Defender 90

Yes, I obviously posted too soon, and it was generated by my sense of enthusiasm, or shall I say, over-enthusiasm. Of course, I never expected that a static, non-mechanical product like this would fail in the manner it did. About the closure of his business, who knows, but I have a few theories. Treat yourself to a 5-minute conversation with the guy, and I think you'll have yours.
Old March 19th, 2015, 12:21 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW (not POE)

Registry
Urban Offroad

Wow, so sorry to hear that. I was one of his first customers on the East Coast if I recall, geez I can't even recall how long ago now. '06-07 maybe?
I guess he got tired of making quality stuff or dealing with the biz.
Such a shame.

Maybe it's best he's retiring. I don't think I've heard anything ever bad said about his product prior to this so hopefully the rack itself is solid and just needs some painting and you'll have it for ever.

Best
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:45 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Finally got my truck on the road (off the road?) again for the first time since October. I'd had a short in the fuse panel (thank God for that cut-off switch!) and finally got it all worked out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150320_231256000_iOS_optimized.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	116548  
Old March 20th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
Finally got my truck on the road (off the road?) again for the first time since October. I'd had a short in the fuse panel (thank God for that cut-off switch!) and finally got it all worked out.
cool picture

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender