Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#3,595 ·
Prepping for "paint" found tons of bondo in the truck from Aaron that he stated was filler free.... What a kunt but doesn't really matter, whole truck is getting stripped to better gripping surfaces.

Got some spraying done on the new doors tho

And you can see some of the new galv too

Attachments

#3,597 · (Edited)
My Son's D1 had a quirky electrical experience last week. Wipers came on when you pressed the brake peddle while in Park. That silliness was also causing the shift actuator from disengaging. So we ended up pulling the console apart to check wires and actuator. When we reconnected the wires to the actuator everything seemed to go back to normal. We'll see. I just hope we can put this back as tight as it was before. He's got a solid pure stock SD.

Attachments

#3,611 ·
Got two things done this week. Disc Brake Disco axle installed, it was more ass pain picking it up in my Golf than installing it. The next thing was the Exmoor trim locking cubby box. This is the metal one. Got it for a good price from Exmoor as it was scratched. Now I have a place to put my elbow when I am driving.

Attachments

#3,615 ·
On the 95:
Washed and waxed
Removed middle seat in anticipation of cubby.
Replaced hood release cable, mechanism, and latch.
Removed, cleaned, painted and reinstalled grill and surrounds.
Installed bonnet hinge bushings.
Replaced door lock button trim.
Tightened up roof bolts and side panel bolts
Continued dynamat... Work in progress
Removed nasty-ass seat covers.
Removed driver and passenger seats, cleaned all tracks and underneath, reinstalled.
Went to vacant parking lot and scraped mud, sand, rocks, old Waxoyl, grease, and other shizz from the frame and body. (Quite the pile of stuff, and this is after a two hour car wash underwash)

#3,635 · (Edited)
Pulled out about 30' of old leftover wiring from POs add-on projects, cleaned out battery box, and wired in the Bluesea 7700. Kept the winch on the hot side, since I was worried about AMP draw under load, but may switch it over to the switched side.

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2016 09:47 PM ------

Looking nice! Like the integrated vents... And is that the Dakota Digital VHX-1018 cluster? I was wondering how that would look.

#3,637 ·
Replaced cracked coolant expansion tank, got it Krown sprayed, and the hardest thing was figuring out why the hood would not latch. After messing with just about everything, I took the grill off and noticed both braces at either side that bolt to the frame had come unbolted. Secured a couple bolts and closed no problem. Just figuring stuff out as I go along.

#3,638 ·
Yet another trip to Nakatanenga.

Bought their new detachable RTT mount, some leather door handles (so my leg is not getting the hard plastic welt), new headlamp rings, as the original 3 year old ones are rusty.

On the 300 TDI, looking for a rear door. Found a source for Genuine doors right around $425 stripped. Not bad.

#3,657 ·
did that with my lwb. When I bought it the steering felt heavy, the truck had been sitting. Went to turn it around 180 degree's in the driveway and bamm. Scary

------ Follow up post added September 1st, 2016 09:33 AM ------

FINALLY cleaned up my ghetto air filter setup over the weekend. It's so much quieter now!
Is that the 300 setup on a 200 ? getting the 300 intake house to route behind the cyl head between it and the bulkhead can be a mother. Did you use the 300 mount held on by two head bolts ?

#3,643 ·
Not my Defender but installed a new steering relay on my series IIA last night, the old one had a considerable amount of play in it and it was fairly rusted in place. Tried jacking it out with a floor jack to no avail, after many hours of deliberation between my dad and I; we got 12 feet of chain from Home Depot and wrapped that around the frame where the steering box is located and around the end of the floor jack. We placed a piece of 12" long half inch black iron plumbing pipe screwed into a flange with a coupler to center around the lower shaft on the steering relay. It took some adjusting of the chain as it got tighter to keep the jack from rolling off center as the end of the jack was no longer supported on the ground. The steering relay finally budged and out came the rusted hulk. I then honed out the cylinder it came out of in the frame as there were bits of rusted swarf still lodged in it, cleaned with brake cleaner and coated with blaster and tapped the new steering box in place. Today I installed two new greasable tie rod ends on the steering rod linking the relay to the passenger side wheel, the great feat in this of course was getting the old tie rod ends off. We soaked these in blaster and tapped the ends of the track rod with a hammer after removing the locking clamp, using a breaker bar freed the old tie rod ends which also had quite a bit of play in them. Also installed new Britpart shocks all around today. Now the steering is responsive and tight, have to take the truck to get it aligned and it will be a much better driver then.

Attachments

#3,644 ·
Mounted and wired up the smittybilt 12k that I got on amazon warehouse deals super sale.

Used 2/0 wire from the batt to a 2/0 rated forklift connector then clipped the stock 0 gauge cable and double crimped it in the larger 2/0 lugs.

Loosely spooled the cable and then noticed that the Hawse Fairlead is too high and the holes will have to be slotted to avoid chafing on the bumper frame.

All parts from Amazon. The forklift connector is really nice and I plan to find a nice set of 2/0 jumpers and make a jumper line that will fit it.

Attachments