Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#3,291 ·
Swapped 3.9L RRC PROM chip into ECU to get rid of NAS speed limiter (success!!)

Realized my electric fans stopped running since a shop replaced my bumper and had trouble rewiring my Hella driving lights. Tested the fan motors (good), tested the relays (good), tested the through-voltage to the fans (good), tested the thermostat (good), tested the voltage to the relays...no voltage to the relays... Followed the breadcrumbs/wire bundle to... an unplugged wire under the fuse box.

Plugged it in.

5 hours of troubleshooting... Turns out all I had to do was plug it in.

Still feels good...even if the wife doesn't understand.

#3,295 ·
Started smelling way too much diesel perfume in the cabin and was treated to this rover track when I parked at home:

Seems all four banjo bolts on the return line were in varying stages of looseness. :facepalm

Tightened them down and for now, problem solved. Will know more after driving it more than just to the cul-de-sac and back.

#3,300 ·
sand blasted and painted some body parts arles blue ... the next project

Attachments

#3,302 ·
Installed my MOD bumper, skid plate, end caps, offset license plate mount & A-bar, all covered with rubberized undercoating.

Much better!

#3,303 ·
Installed new bushings in the clutch pedal and ran a .750 reamer through them. Then I replaced the pivot pin with a new one after cross drilling it and adding a grease fitting so I could lube the shaft and bushing. The old parts were so crusty that the pedal was binding so hard you couldn't move it.

#3,311 ·
proved - my fixes were not the cause for my stalling... ok on to new parts..

i'm starting to think the clutch is dragging a bit and the idle (sensors, ICV, etc) can't compensate for it
it's also, fittingly, intermittent.

all new sensors (VSS, ICV, TPS (well old but good)) its either weak spark (coil is new) or clutch drag..

i really dont want it be clutch.. since that means i'll go nuts on it and do the transmission (ashcroft replacement ) as well as the RMS which needs to be done and i've been waiting.

on the bright side my leaks have been reduced to 2.. the RMS and a slight no drip leak from the top of the steering box.. i have no drips amazingly.. and yes they are full

#3,313 ·
a little more work, on the stalling issue.. swapped to my spare (new) ICV, no joy.. going to retime it tomorrow and advance it some (was set at 7 when i did it last), then try and get it up to my shop for a smoke test on the vacuum.. pretty much out of ideas
runs good, but not as strong as waveriders (Brian) - but i'm a lot heavier as well and on taller tires.. idles great - new VSS, ICV, and Ign amp.. role to a stop and it hunts or stalls.

I'm going to pull the MAF main hose tomorrow (ash's silicone one) as well and replace it with my old one (good, no holes) and see what happens, hopefully i'll get enough time to do the brake flush as well.. but i have an interview mid day so no telling.. that may wait till wens..

#3,315 ·
its a new vss.. and i have a rover gauge but no fancy O-scope like jason..
also it will do it stationary so i don't think that's it - i also changed back to my old TPS (fixed the exposed wires as well) no change in symptoms.

once idled it runs great - start up (stationary) it can stall without help.. sometimes. (maybe 50%)

#3,316 ·
Replaced the fuel filler hose that connects filler neck to the tank. The original hose (19yrs old) shows multiple cracks on the outside and was essentially leaking out at said cracks. Interestingly, the inside looked OK. I guess the hoses are porous?

R&R wasn't too difficult - I (slowly) pulled the tank side of the hose out first, then use a razor blade to cut the filler neck side - just b/c the hose was stuck on the metal. On replacement, I lubricated the inner of the hose with light coating of motor oil. I put the tank side first, then bend the hose a bit to fit the filler neck. Tightened the hose clamps. Done.
Part was aftermarket manufacturer.

#3,320 · (Edited)
I exchanged fluids yesterday. On the Defender that is. I started by drinking an IPA while talking the tools out. Then I changed the engine oil and oil filter. Then I had two margaritas. After that I was ready to tackle the gearbox oil change. I always generously apply anti-seize on the gearbox plugs. The gearbox drain plug can be a real challenge. After I had buttoned up the gearbox I realized that I left off the brass washer for the gearbox drain. I had removed it from the plug while cleaning it. I blame the margaritas. Then I changed the transfer case fluid. Today I'm changing the front and rear differential fluids and the fuel filter. I may also clean the sedimenter.

#3,325 ·
Added a vector off road Exorack to the spare tire. This allows for rotopax gas fans to be mounted (up to 4, 2 gallon cans) Had to oblong one hole a smidge but it fits fine and its solid.. Cheap solution to carry up to 8 gallons of gas on the tire carrier or an axe/pull pal/ whatever Now I need to get some rotopax cans

Attachments

#3,355 ·
i like it

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2016 09:51 PM ------

Wired up the winch today. Zip ties have to be one of the greatest inventions ever. Do you guys think the driveshaft needs to be painted?
lol - that's funny right there

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2016 09:52 PM ------

Well...last couple of days - Calipers, Rotors, repack bearings, changed hub seals - on all four. Good looking bling! In between waiting for parts from RN for that, I decided to change out the fuse panel. Here are before and after....amazingly everything works! I did use those fuses that light up when blown for easy replacement.
thumbs up for sure