Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#3,247 ·
New rack and lights - alternator recommendations?

Installed the factory LR expedition rack/ladder and some Lightforce LEDs on the truck this weekend. The light put off by these things is pretty crazy. Understandably, and despite an all LED system (except the headlights), my alternator is starting to struggle. Can anyone recommend a beefed up alternator for the 1989 Rover V8?

Attachments

#3,252 ·
Disassembled clutch pedal assembly since the pedal is binding on the pivot shaft. The shaft is corroded and worn so the pedal wouldn't return even with an additional spring. I'll replace the shaft and pedal bushings so the clutch pedal won't bind. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the clutch disc is prematurely worn as a result of this so I'll need to do the whole clutch replacement thing. I did add an access hole in the pedal box assembly to allow a socket to engage the forward nut on the master cylinder shaft to make free play adjustments much easier. The idea came to me as I watched the guys struggle with the yellow D90 on Dickie Bell last weekend.

I also installed my new Allisport radiator over flow tank - shiny.....

#3,253 ·
I did add an access hole in the pedal box assembly to allow a socket to engage the forward nut on the master cylinder shaft to make free play adjustments much easier. The idea came to me as I watched the guys struggle with the yellow D90 on Dickie Bell last weekend.
Just remember, that any "hole" in the outside of that pedal box is a straight access (water, etc) into the cabin. Not generally a problem, but fording/etc or just rain water if it gets in *could* find it's way down. I'd suggest at a minimum putting a rubber plug in there, but honestly the once every year or three you're in doing any adjustment on freeplay it's not as bad as it seemed :).

#3,254 ·
Post Weekend fun repairs On the advice of Jason (leastone) I'm going to test (I mean replace since I don't have an o scope...) my VSS sensor to see if that stops the low speed stalling I was experiencing at RAW. By experiencing I mean every time you put the clutch in to come to a stop in low range (basically under 6 mph..) I bought a genuine one as well... Also since I'm down to my last spare I splurged for a new alternator module and finally ponied up for a fancy rear diff guard (thanks Zack !!) since I smacked it this weekend, seems like a good thing to do. I located the cause of my steering wheel being off center today and will fix it tomorrow- and realign the front. Just a loose steering arm and when combined with several rocks got me 20 degrees off at the wheel. And an almost bent wheel (it's fine and tire holds pressure. A second spare is looking like a good idea in the future for me...
Oh almost forgot .. Cleaned the work bench

Attachments

#3,259 ·
It was dead simple... I tied the end of the string to the rear tow eye which was about level with the center of the tire and ran it around the back of the tire at the center of the hub to the front, just get everything loose on the steering rod and make adjustments until all 4 points are lined up and tighten it down. I only jacked enough to get most of the tension off of the wheel, it was not off the ground, you still need some on it and it should be firm when your pulling it into alignment.
You can use the same anchor for both sides and once your aligned and snug up the bolts I lowered it then tightened it after a quick recheck..

All in took maybe an hour and 1/2 that was figuring out how to do it.. I just took it for a 20 drive, tracks nice and straight

#3,262 ·
Last time i pay $90 for an alignment on a Defender thats for sure.

Tow is also adjustable - basically same method minus the string - use a long enough level to check it and loosen the rear bar (easier to pop out the ball joints and true up the Tow and then tighten the bar.. I left mine slightly towed out on both sides for now (equal)

Caster is not adjustable.. so no point in trying to do it.

#3,266 ·
Used a 34$ oil tarp off amazon to make a 3/4 surrey. Installed 3 additional grommets on leading and trailing edge. Laced with 550 cord.

Came out just how I wanted. Now to install Nas bench seat.

Attachments

#3,280 ·
Used the H20 Ingress bulletin and calked all of the ribs on the roof, drip rails, front lip above windshield, and windshield hinge covers....had a small leak that would run water above the front doors by the top of the A post if the truck was parked on an incline nose down...eventually I have to remove the headliner for cleaning, insulation and recover but wanted to try and stop the water...I guess if it continues removing the headliner is prob the only way to find the leak source...

Attachments

#3,286 ·
Used clear sealer and put a thin bead around them...yet that leak may be from the dog leg (door gasket) just above the door check strap as water can get behind there and onto that check strap and then to the floor...

#3,287 · (Edited)
You know what...I bet you're right actually. It's sort of *looked* like it was coming from behind the check strap cover. I am - admittedly - not running genuine front door seals, and I wonder if that is the contributing factor. I could probably jam some strip-caulk in the door gasket dog leg temporarily to see if that thwarts the leak (while I pony up for some genuine seals)...

#3,292 ·
I've been good with the stock Foam seams for a long time.. easy to do and so far as long you actually close them all the way.. no leaks..
my top/truck has no silicone use as well..

amazingly - i have exactly 1 water leak i can't figure out - a small drip next to the transmission tunnel on the floor mat.. it's really small (2" wide after hours and hours) and only manifests after prolonged rain. the rest of the time its dry and my truck is dry underneath now too...

the leak is seemly not coming from anywhere .. anyway i'll get it figured out one of these days.. but i am about ready to pull the hard top and go back to ST for the summer so the eternal hamster wheel of leaks will start again ...