Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#3,004 · (Edited)
Bonnet hooks and snow shield

Took a couple of hours out of my evening to install some new parts. First I installed bonnet hooks. After installing my hood mounted spare tire, the interior cable activated hood release didn't work very well. It was straining and difficult to get the latch to release. So I removed the hood lock/release lever completely.

I measured carefully, marked out the drill holes and in no time had both bonnet hooks installed on each side. Piece of cake actually and they work fantastic. Now when I want to pop the hood I just release each side and it lifts straight up. Has a bit of that military look as well.

Also installed the snow shield for the heater intake. That was simple but it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what the plastic round spacers where for that were provided. I figured out they help the screws catch on when used as spacers since this unit doesn't sit flush like the stock heater/air intake.

Attachments

#3,009 · (Edited)
Pulled some nasty-ass injectors. Fingers crossed Blue Ridge can do some magic. This boys and girls is what lies beneath. So when folks selling engines say "runs great", make sure you believe them. Nasty Injectors, shitty hidden tranny output shafts, wobbly crapped-out turbos, rusted out radiators. Make sure you can trust the guys you're buying from.

Attachments

#3,020 ·
Power steering hoses replaced (farmed that job out)
D90tops hard top off to paint with brewie, and soft top back on.

Picked up base camp trailer - hooptie
It's an m101a1 with a contractor topper...
Probably going to paint it and add some glamping stuff to it, but first up is a power system for it so I can throw the fridge in there for events..

Still looking at light bars... Dunno may just go a crew cheapie setup since I have a hard time shelling out $1,200 for a little extra lumens and a nicer built light.. When I can get 10k lumens/each for $125.00

#3,023 ·
Action 149amp alternator back from warranty (new one...)
Stuck brush in brush holder was the diagnosis..

I'll switch it back in a little while, the 100amp seems to be fine.

No cost other than shipping there

Attachments

#3,026 ·
Received my timing cover I got on ebay on Thursday, finally finished getting everything back together early this afternoon. I cracked the lower oil cooler line housing last weekend after I replaced the oil pressure relief valve o-ring with the timing cover still bolted in place. :facepalm: I had to unbolt the oil cooler lines where they bolt to the timing cover last weekend to access the oil pressure relief valve circlip and assembly.
I transferred the oil pump gears out of my original timing cover over to the ebay cover and used my oil pump housing plate because it was not as scored as the one original to the ebay timing cover. I had already replaced my oil pump gears with a new set so they were still in very good condition.
I also transferred over the o-ring off my original oil pressure relief valve and my oil pressure switch to the new unit which were in good shape. The o-rings on the ebay unit's oil pressure relief valve and oil pressure switch were both hardened and probably leaking. I replaced the front main seal. I inspected the oil pump gears with a feeler gauge and straight edge when the timing cover was off as well.
When I started the engine I tested the oil pressure which turned out to be pretty good at 42psi operating temp and 2400rpm. The LR workshop manual recommends between 30-40 psi.

Attachments

#3,029 ·
Nephew helped me install a steering guard.

$439 from RN, bought a used one (new, never installed) from eBay.co.uk & paid seventy quid for it, with $30 shipping.

Painted it with Rustoleum bed liner.

Result!

#3,030 ·
#3,031 ·
Unsuccessfully tried to reverse bleed the clutch, oh well. Found out I bought the wrong binnacle, oh well. BUT successfully installed LED dash lights, a VDO tach, got rid of the clock, and moved everything over. Jackpot!

Here's a GIF for your viewing pleasure (if that works on here).

This post has been deleted