Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#2,843 ·
funny enough I looked that up yesterday wondering why ever happened to the kitten. I think we need a cat thread but only if you promise to behave AND help moderate it! :)

#2,848 ·
I thought I would use that pod for my AC controls but when I starting messing with the capillary tube thermo switch I gave up on that idea all together. Hacked up a 6 spot discovery switch panel. All the switches slide out like normal. So does the freelancer dimmer.

#2,859 ·
Added VDO temp sensor to LT77 drain plug.

Note: If you want to drill through and tap the drain plug, you must remove the magnetic bar in the plug. It looks like the magnetic bar is machined of the same material of the plug, but it is not. It is a separate metal bar that is either epoxied or brazed into the plug. To drill, you must remove the magnetic bar first by heating the plug and bar until the magnetic bar can be pulled out with a pliers.

Added VDO boost sensor to the 200tdi intake charge piping via welded 1/8" NPT bung. Easiest place to add the tap for boost after the intercooler without having to modify the intake manifold (which I did not want to do.)

Put together fittings for VDO oil pressure sender. Note that I am replacing the m10x1.0 200tdi oil pressure sensor with a 1/8" NPT Sensor from Wells, PN #117. These go in via brass tee to the oil filter housing on the 200tdi.

In the process of pulling the exhaust manifold / turbo to install the EGT probe.

Attachments

#2,863 ·
After disassembling the turbo and manifold, looking into the exhaust manifold, it appears that a hotside turbo seal leak would drop oil directly into the 1 and 4 cylinder exhaust manifold pipes. This leak would then be ejected via exhaust pressure out the manifold seal on the head.

Rebuilding the turbo now...

Hopefully what I thought was a rear main seal leak is actually oil dribbling out of the manifold.

New Victor Reinz 200tdi manifold gasket seal at the ready.

#2,865 ·
First I THOUGHT I was moving to my new garage because the truck won't fit with a top on in my building's, then planned to put the new soft top on. Sadly I learned how raked my truck is empty, so it doesn't fit like I thought it would. Back to the storage unit the soft top goes until I find a new spot or decide to park the truck outside.

To feel like i accomplished SOMETHING I put in a Pelican case foam insert into the passenger under seat tool box to hold my roadside emergency tools.

#2,867 ·
only thing I could think of to make use of the space without everything rattling around constantly.

#2,869 ·
The foam would, but the box seems very dry. I plan to check it next time I'm in the wet (have to put a goddamn roof on it first, then fix the windshield wipers, then I'll worry about dampness in the tool box :) ).

But if it does get damp in there, I'm going to line the inside of the toolbox in a thick plastic vapor barrier to keep the foam dry.

#2,876 ·
found the cause of my "stalling at the stop light" i believe...
short story is the main lead from the coil to the Distributor was trapped on the edge of the ALT heat shield and rubbing.. literally it rubbed a grove in it about 50% or more to the wire.

So at idle, the short through the remaining wire was enough to cause a stumble and stalling..

again i believe as i've only done 20 miles on it since fixing it (repositioned the lead and taped it, until the new wire set can arrive from Kingsborne)

the joy of 14cux it is amazing sensitive to ignition issues.

BTW, not codes from the stalling at all, i got my CL 45 solved (physically destroyed O2 sensors..drive shaft hit them)

#2,877 ·
Love it or hate it. Mounted the sand rails. Wanted a location that worked with truck cab and soft top. I have forward facing bench so I was able to use existing holes where the old troop seats mounted. Make pretty good seat backs ;)

Similar location as the MOD Wolf XD. Too bad they are not black anodized.

Attachments

#2,878 ·
Love it or hate it. Mounted the sand rails. Wanted a location that worked with truck cab and soft top. I have forward facing bench so I was able to use existing holes where the old troop seats mounted. Make pretty good seat backs ;) Similar location as the MOD Wolf XD. Too bad they are not black anodized.
personally, I like it, especially given the truck cab/soft top combo and forward facing seats

#2,881 ·
Took delivery of some new doors. Old ones are from 1985, & were a bit tired!

Attachments