Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#2,800 ·
Thanks for the pic! I've been mentally trying to figure out how to lay out the back of my 110 for a while now.

The rear facing bench seems like a good idea especially with a bulkhead. I might do that and have 2 lock and folds in the back so people can step thru to sit on the bench. And the people in the back might be able to have an actual conversation in a loud Defender.

#2,798 ·
Done a lot recently but the best small mod was replacing the interior dome light assembly.

Basically before the fix I had to kiss my car's @ss just to get the light to turn on for a couple of seconds.

With the new unit my truck is now reasonable to get into when it's dark outside.

Best of all, the light comes on automatically when the doors are opened. FANCY!!!

Oh and to be clear I've upgraded the actual light to an LED at the general advice of this forum and it is fantastic.

#2,805 ·
You should fly RAF seats are backwards

#2,818 · (Edited)
Window gap fix - sort of!

Hello - I obtained a new (old) BestTop and was saddened to see that the gap between the windows on both sides between the window and top (what might be the "B" pillar) still had 1/2 - 3/4 in gaps. I installed the top in the warmer weather and now that its cold the gaps are worse. I was unaware about the inadequacy of the heater (even after I fixed it) so the gaps with air rushing through the cabin made it a worse thermal situation.

So - I noticed that my top was missing the (metal?) rails that run vertically up the B Pillar. I decided to fashion my own and install.

See the gap on the drivers side below (#1). Was 2x that on the passenger side!

I fashioned some metal slats I bought at my local hardware store. Made them 24 inches each and bent the last 2.5 inches into a right angle.

I filed them down so there were no sharp edges and slid up the channel in the soft top.

Then finally, I pulled them forward towards the front of the Landy and secured with a clamp. I drilled a small hole and then pop-riveted them into place at the bottom (not top).

Happy to report that for the drivers side it was 100% fix! For the passenger side, I had to add a little sticky weather stripping but alas, I seem to be fixed for the winter!

Hope this helps any of you!

Attachments

#2,821 ·
ssi19:
very nice! Curious - you didn't need to secure the metal bar to anything on top? Just the bottom rivet is sufficient?

So far - I don't seem to need anything at the top. But its only a few hours now with one test drive. I will update if anything changes. Feel free to PM or ask here on the thread.

G

#2,829 ·
When I went home over the weekend, I randomly found one of the last turbos I rebuilt....years ago. It is a Holset HY35W (basically a hybrid T3/T4 version of the HX35, used commonly on Cummins diesels). I had originally intended it to be connected to an F22A (A simple, older SOHC Honda engine with an 8.8:1 static compression ratio).

Maybe I'll use it for a project in the future, so I brought it back up from Knoxville.

Just for fun, I thought about putting it on the 200tdi. It would require an exhaust manifold with a T3 output flange and the bonnet would need a cutout. The middle of its efficiency island is 2.5 bar, so assuming the 200tdi could even spool it, that would be roughly 220-230hp.

Max airflow in lb/min is around 560 lb/min so it's not airflow limited.

But in the end, the 200tdi has problems spooling a t2-frame exhaust wheel, let alone a t3 frame exhaust wheel. Probably very little boost coming in very, very late in the rev range. Even if by some sorcery it could spin the wheel, I doubt the bottom end could handle it.

But sometimes it's fun to just think about these things :)

:tounge:tounge:tounge

Attachments

#2,830 ·
I almost ran out of projects for the moment... Truck runs great
Ready to head up to Indy and get the d90 top and then paint it..
After that it's the extended range fuel tank and a full LRC rack.

(Keeping the Badgers kids)
Open items,

Hella matador pedestal bracket for my reverse light (if you have one please let me know, I've had it on order for 2 months..
Mount CB

Tires are open but I need to decide on wheels