Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#2,711 ·
Arkonik V8 Snatch

Well I arrived early to work this morning, made the coffee, lite a smoke and...watched the sun rise over the roof of my own pet "Snatch" project....(bought a year ago and been parked since)...had lots of exciting thoughts about what I might to do it today - opened the back door and.....thought better of it.....another day maybe :(

#2,712 ·
Drove up to Uncle Douglas's farm in Gods country, Va to do you do in the head gasket on my 200 Tdi. After the head was off we took it over to uncle Doug's supersecret machine shop to check the head any problems. Found a little warping and had that fixed up. Then back to the farm to reinstall on the truck. After that was completed uncle Doug worked his magic and tuned up my truck. Then it was off to Uwharrie to test it on the trails what a difference! Thank you Uncle Doug! Sorry for the stupid iPhone pic.

Attachments

#2,718 · (Edited)
Drove up to Uncle Douglas's farm in Gods country, Va to do the head gasket on my 200 Tdi. After the head was off we took it over to Uncle Doug's super secret machine shop to check the head for any problems. Found a little warping and had that fixed up. Then back to the farm to reinstall on the truck. After that was completed Uncle Doug worked his magic and tuned up my truck. Then it was off to Uwharrie to test it on the trails what a difference! Thank you Uncle Doug!
That sure is a sexy two step ladder you hauled up all the way from Florida. Goes with the patina of the 65yr old barn pretty well.

Attachments

#2,727 ·
Over the weekend, with the help of Jason and Anthony, I installed an auxiliary fuel tank in my Defender. I went with the Safari Equip unit that hold about 7 gallons. It is definitely nice to be able to drive more than 170 miles between fill ups. I've put about 70 miles on it since and the fuel gauge still reads full. The install would have gone a lot smoother if they hadn't left out an essential part!

#2,728 ·
Taking a week off to knock out a bunch of maintenance.
Today finished installing the rear exmoor lock and folds, resealed the front hubs, installed new bonnet cable, Replaced the rear door switches and binnacle. Removed the crappy headliner and all of the interior trim panels in preparation for resealing and painting the top, installing the PUMA rear seatbelt brackets and installing the garrison window rubber.

#2,729 ·
Finally got round to fixing the back door. When I bought it, the inside latch had been removed (so you couldn't get out) and there was no door stay. I bought a used one but it was short- so the door only opened to about 50 degrees. Bought the kit from Rovers North & now it 1) opens itself and 2) opens to almost 90 degrees. Wife is very happy!

Note: The entire rear door is shot (frame broken & rusted through in several places) but I have a replacement coming...

#2,733 · (Edited)
Changed the gear lube front and rear differentials and transfer case, fixed some gauges/lights and tidied up the rear wiring in preparation for new media player and focals in all four corners in the stock location. Spent some time cleaning up the underside, frame etc. Amazing what one can accomplish in just a few days of dedicated time. Shipfitters syndrome

#2,734 · (Edited)
Day 4

Day 4, replaced the rubber fuel hoses, finished installing the Garrison window seals and rebuilt the windows with new plastic channels etc. No more rattles! Installed the new 4.6 Tornado chip from RPI via Mark Adams. Other than the performance benefit no more "rough road" sensor input on a 97. Sweet!

#2,737 ·
Day 5, Battery box cleanup, New grommets, installed the Pioneer media player in stock location, created a factory adapter to hook into factory wiring, weather pack connectors, 16 gauge wiring, techflex covering and shrink wrap on all wiring and routed through bulkhead and cleanly to the back. 5.25" focal speakers in all four corners at factory locations. Tedious. Looks clean, much better than stock, wireless streaming and bluetooth. At least not covered in grease today. Finishing up the details over the weekend and welding the cracks in the rear door. Good week.

#2,738 ·
Continuing to be surprised at how dynamat reduces perceived and actual sound levels. Its probably more a matter of absorbing sound but every bit I cover makes a difference. Completed most of the doors today.
Wish I had done the roof before I put it on.....

#2,741 ·
The old 90 got a lot done to her:
I've been battling a warm start issue. I changed the plugs and upon doing so I discovered the coil was leaking on what looks to be oil. I sourced a Bosch replacement for about $60.38 with free shipping from New-Part.com The actual part number is 0221122392
I installed it with the terminals upright and replaced the spade connectors with bolt-on style.
She fires up instantly cold or warm with no issue.
I also replaced the oil in the trans/xfer case and front and rear diffs with Redline.

Cheerio!

Attachments