What have you done to your Defender today. - Page 38 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Picked up parts at powder coater.

I repaired by brush bar so figured I'd post the results.

Had a small dent from PO - used Lab Metal to fill it and the powder coater lowered the temp of the oven a bit in an effort to ensure it would stick.

Looks good - I know it's there (not as smooth as the rest of it) but most won't see it.

Overall happy - especially since I had the bumper, brush bar, light bar and Hella's all coated for $300. Dropped off the roll cage and rear bumper this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dent.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	92038   Click image for larger version

Name:	can.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	92039  

Name:	filled.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	92040   Click image for larger version

Name:	coated copy.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	92041  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Well, After watching countless YouTube videos and endless custom car programs on cable I tried my hand at painting my Defender. I bought 2 part primer and Dove Gray Hot Rod Flatz from TCP Global in San Diego. The shipping wasn't cheap but it is shipped as HazMat.

I bought the best HVLP gun that Harbor Freight sold.

After a bunch of masking, wet sanding the primer, and some simple paint and hardener mixing:

The painting part was easy, all and all about 45 minutes for the two coats. The prep work took many hours, I now understand why even a cheap paint job isn't so cheap. Next up, spraying bed liner in the interior and start putting things back together.
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:48 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Just finished cutting aluminum pipe for new intercooler piping and finally found a lower radiator hose that was the correct shape for my engine/rad combo. Getting it to fit was such a bitch because it was like 1mm or so too small on one end and there was hardly any space between the power steering and the lower hose connection. Tomorrow will be filling with coolant and hoping I didn't fuck anything up with the install of the rad/intercooler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	92056  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Busy weekend. I re-sealed and installed a disco 1.2 transfer case. Apparently the low mileage 98 disco 1 case I got cheap as chips is actually a 99 disco 2 version. I am now all to familiar with all the differences. Spent longer swapping bits than I wanted, but turned out great and drives nice. Tomorrow I will take it for the highway test.

Then installed a new t/f +2" full set of m/d springs and socks.

Can't get the app to up load pics without crashing. Will post some later.

Edit: or it was uploading and the error message was the error. Lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20140330_211226.png
Views:	77
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	92107   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140330_211251.png
Views:	70
ID:	92108  

Name:	ForumRunner_20140330_211316.png
Views:	59
ID:	92109   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140330_211611.png
Views:	55
ID:	92110  

Old March 30th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkraig View Post
busy weekend. I re-sealed and installed a disco 1.2 transfer case. Apparently the low mileage 98 disco 1 case i got cheap as chips is actually a 99 disco 2 version. I am now all to familiar with all the differences. Spent longer swapping bits than i wanted, but turned out great and drives nice. Tomorrow i will take it for the highway test.

Then installed a new t/f +2" full set of m/d springs and socks.

Can't get the app to up load pics without crashing. Will post some later.

Edit: Or it was uploading and the error message was the error. Lol

Name:	ForumRunner_20140330_211944.png
Views:	83
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	92111

Name:	ForumRunner_20140330_212031.png
Views:	90
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	92112

Name:	ForumRunner_20140330_212130.png
Views:	90
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	92113
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:31 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
ooooofff.....what a weekend!!

Great weekend, I got:

All tint except for 1 alpine window removed, what a biatch!, all back trim pieces removed, back seats removed, rear seat belts removed, rear headliner removed, started on the carpets but holy shat the adhesive is strong, rear door brake light up and running, (had to reconnect push wire, no big deal), new cubby is recovered and in truck but still awaiting Clarion RTC 7788. Rear outside window trim buffed and Zaino'd, woo hoo!!

18 years of dust and dirt on its way out!

Slainte'!!

KCD
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

I wheeled it rausch creek with nathanwind, cgalpin, and jefhuf (as part of an occ event). I found some stuff missing / broken along the way:

1. Need another gas cap again. I'm currently running a lelofab aftermarket cap but eventually need to buy genuine.
2. Right front shock lost its nut at the axle.
3. Swamper at 5psi lost a bead on the trail so i rolled up partway through a rocky section on a freestyle wheel accidentally. Many thanks to the guys for helping me fix broken stuff in the pouring rain.
4. Steering box main nut lock tab washer is not doing its job...need to replace.
5. Steering drop arm ball joint has a ton of play in it. Needs replacement.
6. Diff lock linkage is snapped at the lt77 end. It looks like it snapped right at the pivot. Need a new one.
7. Right slider bent up due to highlifting and slightly squashed the bottom of the front right wing. Need to reinforce current sliders or fab new ones

On the good side, the chromoly hd tie rod didn't bend, the steering guard is still fine, and i found a great powerwash place in leesburg.

Weather was really quite miserable but had a great time!!
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
Busy weekend. I re-sealed and installed a disco 1.2 transfer case. Apparently the low mileage 98 disco 1 case I got cheap as chips is actually a 99 disco 2 version. I am now all to familiar with all the differences. Spent longer swapping bits than I wanted, but turned out great and drives nice. Tomorrow I will take it for the highway test.
What did you have to change around other than the linkage? I have access to a really low mileage DII transfer box, but I haven't done any research on what's involved in swapping it.
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Front drive flange is different iirc, you can use a dii shaft. The rear tailshaft doesn't have provisions for the speedo sending unit

i installed my kexby seat covers and cleaned out a mouse nest
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
What did you have to change around other than the linkage? I have access to a really low mileage DII transfer box, but I haven't done any research on what's involved in swapping it.
Wound up swapping the low hi assembly and cover ( the linkage was easier to keep in the cover) both output flanges, the rear output cover (no hole for speed sensor).
I also put in new input and output seals (bearings were great) and took off all the covers to reseal them.

All in all, it wasn't bad, just didn't plan on doing all that and of course I figured out what was wrong when I was close to fitting it. Still lots easier than rebuilding the whole case.

The case is quiet and solid. I would do it again.
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:58 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

I tore down the front end of the 110 yesterday to swap the injecton pump. While waiting for Uncle Douglas to arrive with the "magic" timing pin set, I got all the parts cleaned and ready for the reassembly.
Well....we got it swapped and when putting the new timing belt on it seemed too long. Opened my spares box and got another new one...also too long. After phone calls and a lot of head scratching we found out the motor is a 14J.....and I guess one of the differences is the timing belt.
We retired to the house and cooked steaks in the rain...and ended up having a great afternoon.
Of course we must have offended the Rover gods, as enroute home, Douglas's alternator crapped out on 29 about 20 miles from his place. He txt me and said..." I sitting here on the side of the road, blue lights flashing all around me...waiting for a tow, and eating cup cakes" (that the mrs made and sent home with him).
I will source a new belt today and the plan is to drive the 110 to RAW. Thanks for the help Douglas...and the phone support Robert.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:16 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Came home from work tonight and made some big cuts on my tub...

Name:	image-306379629.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	92185

Name:	image-1658899334.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	505.1 KB
ID:	92186

I am doing a disco seat install ala Tyler Wirkens build thread. I would have loved to use a plasma cutter, but I made do with a dewalt angle grinder. I'll clean up the cuts with files prior to bending and reinstalling sheet metal.

Got the seats mocked up just before dark and time to help get the kids fed.

Name:	image-3660737234.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	92187

Name:	image-806827817.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	92190

Very happy with how this is going to go. Tomorrow if I get done in time at work I'll come home and do a full mock up to take measurements for the brackets -- it looks like it will he pretty straight forward.

Name:	image-64267829.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	92188

Name:	image-2281022570.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	92189

Old March 31st, 2014, 08:55 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I think DII seats in a 110 are an awesome cheaper alternative to Exmoor stuff.
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:01 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Quote:
Agreed. I got a nice pair of exmoor seats recently but they're nowhere near the quality of disco seats. That set up looks awesome though.
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:14 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Agreed! I looked into the new premium high backs... I'm saving over $2k by doing this conversion instead! Not sure I would do it to a NAS, but my trail rig is a great candidate for such a conversion

Old March 31st, 2014, 09:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
I tore down the front end of the 110 yesterday to swap the injecton pump. While waiting for Uncle Douglas to arrive with the "magic" timing pin set, I got all the parts cleaned and ready for the reassembly.
Well....we got it swapped and when putting the new timing belt on it seemed too long. Opened my spares box and got another new one...also too long. After phone calls and a lot of head scratching we found out the motor is a 14J.....and I guess one of the differences is the timing belt.
We retired to the house and cooked steaks in the rain...and ended up having a great afternoon.
Of course we must have offended the Rover gods, as enroute home, Douglas's alternator crapped out on 29 about 20 miles from his place. He txt me and said..." I sitting here on the side of the road, blue lights flashing all around me...waiting for a tow, and eating cup cakes" (that the mrs made and sent home with him).
I will source a new belt today and the plan is to drive the 110 to RAW. Thanks for the help Douglas...and the phone support Robert.
I offered the trooper one and he said he's having enough trouble staying svelt so his body armor fits, so he declined.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:01 AM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

In the category of "who knew?"

Seems zinc has a lower melting point than most metals. The Hella 4000 buckets appear to be cast zinc. Seems they didn't stand up too well to the 400+ degrees of the powder coating oven and they are no longer round.

May replace buckets, may just get new lights - if anybody needs parts, lenses, etc - just PM me.

Bumper, brush bar, light bar (without lights) will go back on truck this weekend.
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:04 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
In the category of "who knew?"

Seems zinc has a lower melting point than most metals. The Hella 4000 buckets appear to be cast zinc. Seems they didn't stand up too well to the 400+ degrees of the powder coating oven and they are no longer round.

May replace buckets, may just get new lights - if anybody needs parts, lenses, etc - just PM me.

Bumper, brush bar, light bar (without lights) will go back on truck this weekend.
Pure zinc melts at almost 800 decrees so I'm guessing it's made of something else. Did it melt or just loose it's roundness? Either way, that sucks.
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:10 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Pure zinc melts at almost 800 decrees so I'm guessing it's made of something else. Did it melt or just loose it's roundness? Either way, that sucks.
No longer round - one worse than the other - at first glance didn't really notice. They plastic wrap everything so didn't notice at all when I picked them up. I'm picking up rear bumper and roll cage Saturday and I'll let them know - they seem like good guys and I would think they would take a few bucks off that bill.

New buckets are $36 each.
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I powder coated some candle holders that I cut out of a steel sheet a few years back. They came back warped too. My guess is that the thinner metal needs to be more gradually heated and cooled to avoid warping. Live and learn......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender