What have you done to your Defender today. - Page 159 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 28th, 2016, 04:17 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
No worries. I haven't any tech arguments but I know if I change the oil in my frying pan before it evaporates I don't get sludge. .

But seriously, my opinion is just based on the real life experience of a close friend that owns a LR shop. He primarily sees D2's and above. In his experience the failed engines in the D2's have been with the kind of people that change oil at the cheapest place possible and when it is convenient. They don't change any other fluids or filters on average and the excuse is they do t plan to hold on to the vehicle. Many times they over buy and are car poor so it makes sense from that perspective. He says it's fascinating how people live their lives and what a disregard there is for following the simplest instruction across the board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90 View Post
Im sorry, there's no other way to say this. Your mechanic is a certified idiot!
There are ONLY 3 reasons why oil sludge occurs:

1, incorrect type of oil is used
2, oil starvation
3, not changing on time

And ALL 3 lead to overheating of oil and accumulate sludge. Think of heavy, sludge oil in your cooking pan.

Thoes crazy cats at LR made a huge mistake by omitting the oil cooler in the 03/04 Disco that they neither admitted to or rectified leaving 1000s of owners with blown engines!

Ive personally added about 20 oil coolers to the 03/04 Disco engines eliminating everything from noisy lifters to overheating with 100% success. Its got to tell you something when they use 200 coolant to cool the oil. Has that mechanic of yours ever measured the oil temp? I thought not!

When you add a cooler and lines you increase the oil capacity of 2 qts and decrease block tempts considerably and to within safe margins eliminating the dropped liners and overheating issues attributed to thoes engines even at "normal" operating temps on cooler days!
This sounds like a load of BS to me. If you need an oil cooler to fix an overheating issue, then there is some other issue with the motor.

Low oil temperatures cause sludge, high oil temperatures cause the oil to break down which will leave a varnish, not sludge. Engine oil doesn't break down at 200F... Have you ever taken apart a motor that has only been used on short trips? I do it all the time and there is a lot of sludge.
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Are you aware that on D2s with dropped liners, its the very same 2 liners that drop each and every time on every engine. Does your friend chalk that up to cheap oil and no filters or could it possibly be a manufacturing defect exasperated by excessive prolonged engine heat brought on by a lack of an oil cooler in the 03/04!? Just a thought........

You seem to have your heart set on this no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
No worries. I haven't any tech arguments but I know if I change the oil in my frying pan before it evaporates I don't get sludge. .

But seriously, my opinion is just based on the real life experience of a close friend that owns a LR shop. He primarily sees D2's and above. In his experience the failed engines in the D2's have been with the kind of people that change oil at the cheapest place possible and when it is convenient. They don't change any other fluids or filters on average and the excuse is they do t plan to hold on to the vehicle. Many times they over buy and are car poor so it makes sense from that perspective. He says it's fascinating how people live their lives and what a disregard there is for following the simplest instruction across the board.
------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2016 06:32 PM ------

You are 100% right and im 100% wrong on all counts.
Please ignore my post.

Carry on...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
This sounds like a load of BS to me. If you need an oil cooler to fix an overheating issue, then there is some other issue with the motor.

Low oil temperatures cause sludge, high oil temperatures cause the oil to break down which will leave a varnish, not sludge. Engine oil doesn't break down at 200F... Have you ever taken apart a motor that has only been used on short trips? I do it all the time and there is a lot of sludge.
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:42 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

test fit of my gutter mount. Designed it in Corel CAD and 3D printed it. The latching part is just dangling since I didn't have any M6 bolts handy. This is 4" wide. I cut the design down to 3" and will print another once I get some more PLA.

Old February 29th, 2016, 03:09 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Probably my last project for a while.. Well at least until I burn through the parts that have been piling up waiting on time to do them.

New shoes..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1020880710.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	143820  

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 29th, 2016, 04:39 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Installed SHP's metal binnacle mount and a new OEM binnacle, which is much thicker than the original. Finally got tired of nudging the instrument panel back after big bumps. Should have done this years ago.
Old February 29th, 2016, 05:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
test fit of my gutter mount. Designed it in Corel CAD and 3D printed it. The latching part is just dangling since I didn't have any M6 bolts handy. This is 4" wide. I cut the design down to 3" and will print another once I get some more PLA.

That's a pretty large printer you must have. Model?
Old February 29th, 2016, 07:19 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I have a Robo 3D R1+ it has a 10x9x8 print volume. The outside ribs have to be printed one at a time because they take up the whole bed. I'm very happy with it with only a few minor tweaks.
Old February 29th, 2016, 07:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Very nice. The picture makes it seem larger but that's still a nice size.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:29 AM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Got stuck today outside the amavida coffee shop in rosemary beach, fl. when I got back in the truck, tried to start, starter motor did not engage and just spun non-stop. Had to disconnect the battery to get the starter to stop spinning even with the ignition off. It spun for so long that the battery started to lose charge and when I got a jump the starter finally quit spinning and I was able to start it and get it to engage. After that I drove to O'Reillys to get a new battery as mine was five years old. I'm hoping the old battery was the issue because I've already replaced the starter and as I recall it was fairly difficult extracting the two allen bolts.
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:05 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Installed jump seats. Better for the kids (than the bench) now that they are getting older.

Also oem springs and bilsteins. Tremendous improvement to ride.

Oh, and installed the badger 2 fds top.

Almost ready for spring!

Name:	image-4168677600.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	144230
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:07 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
Installed jump seats. Better for the kids (than the bench) now that they are getting older.

Also oem springs and bilsteins. Tremendous improvement to ride.

Oh, and installed the badger 2 fds top.

Almost ready for spring!

Attachment 144230
What jump seats are those?
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:19 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
What jump seats are those?
exmoor trim (denim vinyl) from rovers north.
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:21 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
exmoor trim (denim vinyl) from rovers north.
Are they black?
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:27 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
Are they black?
No. Grey.
Old March 5th, 2016, 03:06 AM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Replaced my starter tonight, the new battery did not solve my issue and the starter gear would still sometimes just spin without kicking the gear out. Removal went easier the second time around (first was ~60,000miles ago when I had to cut the head of one of the bolts off and the rest of the bolt came out just using my fingers!). The hardest part this time was removing and re-installing the heat shield. On removal it wouldn't come out the bottom and on refit it took quite a bit of patience and manipulating to get the heat shield back in place and then in just the right spot to start the one 10mm bolt that secures it to a bracket in the RH motor mount bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3682057851.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	144327   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2685044172.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	144328  

Old March 5th, 2016, 11:35 PM
hcdmueller
Chris Mueller
88 D-90

I finished up installing Superpro bushings on my D90. The thing almost drives like a new vehicle now. No more wandering and a smoother ride. Definitely worth the money and effort.
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:14 PM
LRDMOD
Kelsey
87 Defender 90 Ex-Mod

New rear brake cylinders and replaced a copper brake line..then full bleed
Old March 10th, 2016, 09:41 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

wasting my life rebuilding my truck.

Designed and built a new minimalist dash based on lessons I learned over the last 5 years. 5052 and 3003 aluminum. I was inspired by a ride in a Robinson R44.

I'm not sure what gauge I want for the center. I originally thought a clock, but then I realized that I don't have a gauge for my OBA. Choices choices..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	asdf.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	144695  
Old March 10th, 2016, 10:53 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
wasting my life rebuilding my truck. Designed and built a new minimalist dash based on lessons I learned over the last 5 years. 5052 and 3003 aluminum. I was inspired by a ride in a Robinson R44. I'm not sure what gauge I want for the center. I originally thought a clock, but then I realized that I don't have a gauge for my OBA. Choices choices..
Very very nice!

I am going to do something like that but about half size - but at the rate I am going to will be this time next year before I get to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender