What have you done to your Defender today. - Page 158 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Installed 3/4" rubber matting the load space and second row floor. Picked up the matting at tractor supply - sold in a 4' x 8' sheet for around $40. Very stout and heavy.

Used one of the kid's silver sharpie markers and an old carpenter's chalk line to lay out the measurements on the mats.

Sharp razor blades (needed several - and when I was too lazy to go back in the garage again for another one, used my knife - this in not recommended) and patience are key for an easy process. Helps to lift and maneuver the matting after the initial cut to effectively peel it back as you go. There were times I was thinking to myself that there has to be an easier way, but in the end, it turned out great. Very pleased with this thick, heavy matting.

Decided to cut out a couple holes for the second row seat belt brackets that are on the tub floor, instead of reinstalling the seat belt brackets on top of the matting. Did this for easier removal of the load space mat.

Has now been dog tested and approved.
I've been planning on doing this as well but cutting it has been the issue. Some have recommended a circular saw with the right blade might work better than razor blades. Sawzall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2016, 10:32 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswalt View Post
I've been planning on doing this as well but cutting it has been the issue. Some have recommended a circular saw with the right blade might work better than razor blades. Sawzall?
I thought about that during the process, but couldn't find a good set up where I would be able to get a clean cut without damaging something - the 4' x 8' sheets take up a lot of space. Plus, at 3/4" thick, they are heavy and cumbersome to maneuver. I also didn't want to melt or otherwise monkey up the mat. With sharp razor blades, it really wasn't bad at all. Lifting/bending it with each pass is what I found most helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2016, 04:35 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

When ever you are cutting anything with thickness it helps to have a shit ton of razor blades and place a 1'x1/2 stick under to lift the material up so that you can cut in clean lines through little by little down and through the material. Told to me by Jarek. (paraphrased)
Old February 15th, 2016, 12:54 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
When ever you are cutting anything with thickness it helps to have a shit ton of razor blades and place a 1'x1/2 stick under to lift the material up so that you can cut in clean lines through little by little down and through the material. Told to me by Jarek. (paraphrased)
And just remember, it's gonna take a bunch of passes to get through it. It's so much easier to just do 6 lighter passes than 1-3 where you fucking battle the heavy stuff. I find i have to constantly remind myself as i go as I tend to get tired of repetition and start cutting harder and harder.

I haven't done a load mat like this (yet) but it's the same when cutting any thick material. Hell, this holds true even for foam core.
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Can you use a hot wire cutter on the stuff?
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Can you use a hot wire cutter on the stuff?
I was wondering if an electric carving knife would work as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
2003 and 2004 Discoverys don't have an oil cooler.

Exactly- my '04 4.6 did not have an oil cooler.
I had a long discussion with Widener concerning this and his thought was it was actually better because when the oil temps were higher there was less sludge buildup in the motors he was tearing down.

Also..... what is the secret for removing these levers through the screen?
Do they have to be unscrewed from the dash support first and turned??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3059.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	142446  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:58 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I was wondering if an electric carving knife would work as well.
No clue, but i kind of feel like that could make messy looking edges and/or a bunch of toxic smoke.
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
well, got my dash vent levers out finally.

Zack gave me some advice on removing the frozen windshield wiper...drill, baby, drill.

Drilled out the setscrew and done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3070.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	142645   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3069.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	142646  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 22nd, 2016, 05:09 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Replaced this (Bearmach PN ERR4621)

Old February 22nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Pulled a mail truck out of at ditch during lunch today. He'd slid off the road due to the soft soil after all the snow and rain recently. That's always fun.
Old February 25th, 2016, 02:25 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

3D printed a template for my roof top platform project to verify I translated the curve of the roof correctly into digits. Pretty close fit. Next is finishing up the design of my gutter mount, then test fit a 3D printed version.

Old February 25th, 2016, 07:37 PM
One Ten
Sam
1997 NAS110

Modifying my 110 tub to accept Puma 2nd row seats. I took a bunch of measurements off of an actual tub.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3469870114.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	517.7 KB
ID:	143393  
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:45 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Did some body work to the front and rear
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3748038586.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	143662   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3225522549.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	143663  

Name:	image-4215091799.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	143664   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1201416084.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	143665  

Name:	image-1778048621.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	143666   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1276230817.jpg
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	143667  

Name:	image-346708021.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	143668  
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:53 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Levied out the 90 today - thanks Brian for the help!!

Ome HD front springs and d2 isolators
Also swapped the the tf return to center steering dampener for an ome one.. Huge improvement there.

Looks and rides much better
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2960728215.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	143669  

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 27th, 2016, 10:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Totally looks the same "before" as it does "after" in the pics....but I assure you the old bumper didn't do the truck justice . Anyhow, replaced it with a NTO from Oliver @ Overland Specialtes (placeholder until I can justify getting a Rockware blade bumper custom made).

BEFORE:

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	143673

AFTER:

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	143678 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	143679
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 28th, 2016, 09:35 AM
BayouBeastie
Corky Jones
97 D90 LE ST Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfrozenCaveman View Post
Installed a remote oil pressure sending unit so I can have a gauge and still make the indicator light work.

Wacky '97 doesn't have much room where the sending unit goes.

Now all I have to do is find a place for the gauge.

----

I have been trying to do the same thing. Can you please give details of how you managed to attached sending units for both new gauge and existing idiot light? Did you get all the parts readily (AB?,RN?) I would really appreciate it.

Also if it helps, I mounted the gauge in a MUD UK dash mounted enclosure. Build quality is a B- but it gets the job done.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Corky
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Im sorry, there's no other way to say this. Your mechanic is a certified idiot!
There are ONLY 3 reasons why oil sludge occurs:

1, incorrect type of oil is used
2, oil starvation
3, not changing on time

And ALL 3 lead to overheating of oil and accumulate sludge. Think of heavy, sludge oil in your cooking pan.

Thoes crazy cats at LR made a huge mistake by omitting the oil cooler in the 03/04 Disco that they neither admitted to or rectified leaving 1000s of owners with blown engines!

Ive personally added about 20 oil coolers to the 03/04 Disco engines eliminating everything from noisy lifters to overheating with 100% success. Its got to tell you something when they use 200° coolant to cool the oil. Has that mechanic of yours ever measured the oil temp? I thought not!

When you add a cooler and lines you increase the oil capacity of 2 qts and decrease block tempts considerably and to within safe margins eliminating the dropped liners and overheating issues attributed to thoes engines even at "normal" operating temps on cooler days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Exactly- my '04 4.6 did not have an oil cooler.
I had a long discussion with Widener concerning this and his thought was it was actually better because when the oil temps were higher there was less sludge buildup in the motors he was tearing down.

Old February 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90 View Post
Im sorry, there's no other way to say this. Your mechanic is a certified idiot! There are ONLY 3 reasons why oil sludge occurs: 1, incorrect type of oil is used 2, oil starvation 3, not changing on time And ALL 3 lead to overheating of oil and accumulate sludge. Think of heavy, sludge oil in your cooking pan. Thoes crazy cats at LR made a huge mistake by omitting the oil cooler in the 03/04 Disco that they neither admitted to or rectified leaving 1000s of owners with blown engines! Ive personally added about 20 oil coolers to the 03/04 Disco engines eliminating everything from noisy lifters to overheating with 100% success. Its got to tell you something when they use 200° coolant to cool the oil. Has that mechanic of yours ever measured the oil temp? I thought not! When you add a cooler and lines you increase the oil capacity of 2 qts and decrease block tempts considerably and to within safe margins eliminating the dropped liners and overheating issues attributed to thoes engines even at "normal" operating temps on cooler days!
Seems to me lack of proper oil and proper intervals is the majority of the problem and not oil cooler lines. I know an indie LR mechanic very well and we've also had this discussion. The types of folks having drop liners are ones that don't care to follow instructions. Change your fluids and maintain the vehicle and it will last a normal useful life. Plush vehicles with lots of creature comforts are not going to last a half a million miles just because they have a green oval on them. The cost of luxury is for a reason and if you can't afford luxury then there are other choices. Simple really.

Old February 28th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Seems to me lack of proper oil and proper intervals is the majority of the problem and not oil cooler lines. I know an indie LR mechanic very well and we've also had this discussion. The types of folks having drop liners are ones that don't care to follow instructions. Change your fluids and maintain the vehicle and it will last a normal useful life. Plush vehicles with lots of creature comforts are not going to last a half a million miles just because they have a green oval on them. The cost of luxury is for a reason and if you can't afford luxury then there are other choices. Simple really.
Seems, appears, my mechanic said etc.... these are all baseless opinions that is all! Please at least provide some manner of tech analysis for your argument!?

What "instructions" are you referring to in regards to dropped liners?

Im not arguing with you, just trying to have dialogue regarding this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender