What have you done to your Defender today. - Page 157 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 11th, 2016, 08:22 PM
WeBeCinYa
Matt
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
That is understandable. You should have said that in your thread to stop the mockery. You need to find a new shop. There is literally pages and pages on oil lines on this site. I guess you missed it in the hardtop search. Not to mention you have had the truck for years now. You had no excuse.
Excuse for what? Nothing happened, my mechanic must have been right. If you want to insult my shop by telling them they know nothing then come on out to VA and bring that attitude, we would love to meet your smart ass.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:

You need to find a new shop. There is literally pages and pages on oil lines on this site. I guess you missed it in the hardtop search. Not to mention you have had the truck for years now. You had no excuse.
Has anyone that has had their oil cooler lines replaced with Genuine ones had them fail? I'd like to see an example of Genuine ones that have cracked instantly after installing, and I'd also like to know if they were bought through a dealer or aftermarket parts supplier. You sound like one of those people that thinks if you don't switch to synthetic oil immediately your motor will explode.

For the record, I agree that the upgraded oil cooler liners are a superior option over Genuine, but Genuine is cheap for me. I replaced mine with Genuine ones and will again in probably 10 years.
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2016, 08:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Has anyone that has had their oil cooler lines replaced with Genuine ones had them fail? I'd like to see an example of Genuine ones that have cracked instantly after installing, and I'd also like to know if they were bought through a dealer or aftermarket parts supplier. You sound like one of those people that thinks if you don't switch to synthetic oil immediately your motor will explode. For the record, I agree that the upgraded oil cooler liners are a superior option over Genuine, but Genuine is cheap for me. I replaced mine with Genuine ones and will again in probably 10 years.
Valid point.

I have no clue where the ones that exploded came from. Now I would say I would put my horsey hat on and search but I don't care enough.

As for the attitude webeceya, three seconds ago you lived in Colorado and didn't know how to remove a bumper for powdercoat so excuse me if what a shop told you doesn't hold much water for me. I do like your Virginia pride though. Good for you for routing for the local team.

Also where were your great shops when it came to fixing your range rover?

And for everyone else I am in no way bashing Virginia.
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:52 PM
huibae
Harold Lee
1994 Arles ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
D90 tops hard top painted and installed, thank you Brewie and LRC.. Looks great I'll take better shots when it's light out.
Looks great!!!
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:35 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by huibae View Post
Looks great!!!
I think so too - better than the 2 tone - much better.
also got the cracks fixed and we reinstalled it without issue - we moved the windshield.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:57 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Got a buddy to build this...

Old February 12th, 2016, 08:21 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Has anyone that has had their oil cooler lines replaced with Genuine ones had them fail? I'd like to see an example of Genuine ones that have cracked instantly after installing, and I'd also like to know if they were bought through a dealer or aftermarket parts supplier. You sound like one of those people that thinks if you don't switch to synthetic oil immediately your motor will explode. For the record, I agree that the upgraded oil cooler liners are a superior option over Genuine, but Genuine is cheap for me. I replaced mine with Genuine ones and will again in probably 10 years.
Highly doubt it. Funny thing is who the hell knows what quality/grade hose is under all that pretty Stainless? I'm removing mine and tapping out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Highly doubt it. Funny thing is who the hell knows what quality/grade hose is under all that pretty Stainless? I'm removing mine and tapping out.
That's a good point, but the routing of the stainless hoses is much better. That being said, I've seen at least 5 stainless brake lines fail off road. IIRC stainless brake lines do not pass state inspection in Va.
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:24 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
That's a good point, but the routing of the stainless hoses is much better. That being said, I've seen at least 5 stainless brake lines fail off road. IIRC stainless brake lines do not pass state inspection in Va.
Yep, I was told by the tech the last time I bothered to have my 90 inspected (3+years ago) that they can't inspect their condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:29 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Yep, I was told by the tech the last time I bothered to have my 90 inspected (3+years ago) that they can't inspect their condition.
Isn't it less of an issue in a 97? Why remove entirely? Started to search the forum for the faulty genuine ones but I'm on the toilet and can't wipe and type at same time so before it wastes ten more pages on nothing let's drop it. And can someone get webeceya a Virginia tech mascot costume so he can really show his pride.
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Isn't it less of an issue in a 97? Why remove entirely?

Started to search the forum for the faulty genuine ones but I'm on the toilet and can't wipe and type at same time so before wastes ten more pages on nothing let's drop it.

And can someone get webeceya a Virginia tech mascot costume so he can really show his pride.
The search function on this forum is pretty useless.

I thought the 97's still have a similar routing, but I may be wrong. The one I'm working on came from ECR and has their stainless lines. Regardless, the lines are rubber and should be considered a maintenance item.
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:51 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Isn't it less of an issue in a 97? Why remove entirely? Started to search the forum for the faulty genuine ones but I'm on the toilet and can't wipe and type at same time so before it wastes ten more pages on nothing let's drop it. And can someone get webeceya a Virginia tech mascot costume so he can really show his pride.
I think 10 years ago there was less of an opinion. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard a few times that D2's didn't come with lines. Capping off seems like a no brainer to me cause I don't tow or use mine in extreme hot conditions. I removed my condenser fan too.

Old February 12th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
I think 10 years ago there was less of an opinion. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard a few times that D2's didn't come with lines. Capping off seems like a no brainer to me cause I don't tow or use mine in extreme hot conditions. I removed my condenser fan too.
2003 and 2004 Discoverys don't have an oil cooler.

I imagine your a/c pressures are through the roof in the summer in traffic without a condenser fan.
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
D90 tops hard top painted and installed, thank you Brewie and LRC.. Looks great I'll take better shots when it's light out.

Oh my that looks awesome Rob!
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:40 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Thanks mark - I'm following your lead...next up is a pair of led bars and some wolfs with 255/85's if I can actually buy them.
Then some other stuff..

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:35 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW #2-300Tdi #3-'12 LR4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
On the paint?!
Yep. Puma paint is stronger-er.
Old February 13th, 2016, 05:48 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Better pictures of the top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4030034222.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	142355  

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:23 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Replaced the blown turbo on my 300tdi with a $350 unit from eBay, adjusted boost up to 16psi - feels more peppy.
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:16 PM
ruggedalaskaman
Frank
1995 NAS D-90 #375

Registry
Installed my new plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160106_132219.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	142366  
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Installed 3/4" rubber matting the load space and second row floor. Picked up the matting at tractor supply - sold in a 4' x 8' sheet for around $40. Very stout and heavy.

Used one of the kid's silver sharpie markers and an old carpenter's chalk line to lay out the measurements on the mats.

Sharp razor blades (needed several - and when I was too lazy to go back in the garage again for another one, used my knife - this in not recommended) and patience are key for an easy process. Helps to lift and maneuver the matting after the initial cut to effectively peel it back as you go. There were times I was thinking to myself that there has to be an easier way, but in the end, it turned out great. Very pleased with this thick, heavy matting.

Decided to cut out a couple holes for the second row seat belt brackets that are on the tub floor, instead of reinstalling the seat belt brackets on top of the matting. Did this for easier removal of the load space mat.

Has now been dog tested and approved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender