Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#5,082 ·
did you put the 4 point roll cage in yourself ?? I'm doing one in the spring, I have a headliner in mine I'm sure there is a plate that the bolts go into. is it possible to post a picture of the the interior I'd like to see how this is mounted. I also have side windows for the cap I will be replacing with tinted ones. if you need them

#5,084 ·
Mine is an interesting vehicle. It started life as a SW but a previous owner converted it to a ST with factory parts. The roll cage is even tied into the frame like the factory one. I bought a ROW top to run during the winter / wet spring months. The ST roll bar of course won’t work with a hardtop so I’m having one fabricated to run with the hardtop for safety. I thought about trying to find the required factory rollcage parts to install but they ain’t cheap and seemed like a lot of time and money ….. and possible headaches to go that route.

#5,083 ·
While Jeff the AC expert at KEL air conditioning in Ft. Lauderdale works his magic on the final stages of the MoD HVAC system. I installed the Hannibal Rear Awning on the Hannibal Rack on the 90.

Here you Go!!

Attachments

#5,085 ·
Good and bad week for my truck.

Good: Had a new starter and battery put in + cleaned up some electrical gremlins. Resulting in me 94 running better and stronger than it ever has under my ownership.

Bad: I had a new (from Ashcroft) R380 and LT230 installed a year + ago. It's very clear the synchros are out of alignment and the tranny will need to get rebuilt. I'm just out of warranty. Definition of grinds my gears.

#5,089 · (Edited)
Was going to replace my spark plugs on my 97 in an effort to get more than 130 miles to a tank of gas, replaced my hood cable for the second time instead. Major pain having to remove the grill surround and grill, while I was there I decided to do something about the stripped out Rivnut from when I installed my new Allisport transmission cooler. So I cut the head off the bolt; but I had to remove the shield from my air powered metal cutting tool and shorten the air hose quick disconnect just so I could get it to fit behind my ARB bumper. Sucks that allisport would not send me a warrantied replacement without having to remove and send the one with the incorrectly threaded rivnuts back first but now I have new hardware in place of the crappy rivnut.

Also changed the oil last week using the usual Castrol 10w-40 high mileage. Had to use two quarts of this high zinc version for topping off. I think I've read that the Rover V8 should be lubricated with a zinc inclusive oil due to having flat tappets.

#5,091 ·
I've had great success with rivnuts. Couple things---make sure you are using a proper compression tool. I use the Astro version, but they are all almost better than than the "hold with a wrench" compression techniques. Second thing is that Rivnuts are made per the thickness of the materials that they are inserted into. Lastly, you need the right size hole drilled. When following those three things, I have not had a rivnut break loose (that I inserted) and I use a LOT of rivnuts. I just love them. I have had some break free--just none that I have put in when following the above...

#5,092 ·
I have the astro pneumatic gun it works well. I used a aluminum rivnut on the seat bases and it literally snapped the rivnut and what a pain that was to back out the mandrel of the rivnut I started using stainless its much better. I Took the for jump seats out of the back of my 90 this weekend, I ...WILL... be using rivnuts to put the seats back in I"ll be damned if I put a nut and bolt back in.what a PIA it was getting those things out

#5,109 ·
I was thinking of a shallow chassis double din, I'm also going to place my oil pressure, clock, tachometer, and temp gouge in all four corners, my switches are going to be placed in the same area as yours.my wiring behind the box will take a few hours to sort out I like the look of that box versus the puma set up. keep sending pics I would love to see your progress

#5,110 ·
Sony makers some decent units with lots of built in amperage and great app compatibility. I'm currently using this one in my Wrangler TJ and the sound delivery is great, even without an external amp. A set of good speakers and good placement helps. Not too expensive and also XM/Sirius compatible. May put unit the same in the Tithonus eventually.

SONY

#5,116 ·
Yea Im hoping to decrease the Db’s in the truck I’ve did the dynaMat on the entire roof along with a redone head liner and seat box I haven’t done the bulk head or front floor. I just filled the the holes in the tub and sanded this evening then I’ll dynamat the tub this week. Then start to fit the carpet …hopefully this will decrease the db’s im running around 75-80 dbs the way it sits. The lower db is 5th gear 45 mph.
what head unit are you looking at I’ve seen a alpine it runs about 800 bucks 7 inch touch screen shallow depth less 3 inches

#5,117 ·
Yea Im hoping to decrease the Db’s in the truck I’ve did the dynaMat on the entire roof along with a redone head liner and seat box I haven’t done the bulk head or front floor. I just filled the the holes in the tub and sanded this evening then I’ll dynamat the tub this week. Then start to fit the carpet …hopefully this will decrease the db’s im running around 75-80 dbs the way it sits. The lower db is 5th gear 45 mph.
what head unit are you looking at I’ve seen a alpine it runs about 800 bucks 7 inch touch screen shallow depth less 3 inches
Drove mine to work today for the first time, and one of the biggest changes to the noise level has been the tunnel pad and a thick rubber mat behind the seats. I did add some noico to the doors and floor, but the Tithonus has the thick rubber floormats and I can only feel a slight decrease with the floor addition. I will add a thick rubber mat to the back to lessen the vibration coming from the floor. I have some OME isolation pads to go on when I get time to to the suspension. These I'm sure will kill a lot of the noise coming from the drivetrain. Maybe