Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#4,727 ·
2.5Diesel Turbo. Snapped off the outboard water pump bolt at the block while changing it and cam belt.... grr!

Now off with front timing cover and timing plate attached to block. Gotta find some easy-outs.

Nothing is ever just easy.

#4,730 ·
Rover bling

New rear Cross member going on the 101

Attachments

#4,731 ·
I replaced that POS coolant hose three way thingy (PCH117840 or ESR3436) with a brass "Y". I wish I would have done it as a preemptive item, but I did not.

I was going down the highway last week and noticed the coolant temp going up. I thought it might be a bad ground (I have been chasing those for a while). Then I noticed the steam coming from the engine compartment and going on the passenger side through the mirror.

Pulled over and the damn plastic thing just split apart. I was able to put it back together, and keep it that way, with a couple of zip ties. After waiting a while the temp went back down and I refilled the header tank and bled the system.

For anyone that is looking for a replacement, I used this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C6DMJ7Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 10mm, 8mm, and 8mm "Y" shaped tee. It worked great and is one less thing to worry about later. If anyone is local and wants the other tee (the kit came with two), swing by and you can have it.

All is right in the world again.

Attachments

#4,737 ·
Replaced Tie Rod, Steering Rod, Panhard Rod and those damn glass fuses

Well now I go down the road straight, I can actually pay attention to how slow I m actually travelling because the worry of drifting uncontrollably into the wrong lane has been removed. I'll try and dial in the alignment - its really close! Thanks to the search function!

Also, the spade fuses are wayyyy better than those glass fuses. At least so far.

#4,738 ·
I'll tell ya what I did, spent 4 hours disassembling the rear wiper motor, testing the electrics, almost buying a new one from the UK and then a search on this forum said, rear wiper only works with all doors closed. Well bugger me, reassembled, closed the doors and hey presto. It works. What a plonker.

#4,739 ·
Changed the fuel filter routine maintenance. As I was removing I decided to also remove the metal band holding it to I could sand and repaint it. That lead me to want to repaint the seat box bottom with por15 to better protect it as I now had clear access to it with the filter off. It was a bit of a "if you give a mouse a cookie" moment turning a 15 minute job into a 2 hr one but I checked some boxes I have been meaning to do for a while.

Attachments

#4,740 ·
Used my new shovel today. Funny that the wood was unfinished. Another Land Rover part that comes as an 80% product that needs to be modified in some way.

Used automotive clear coat to shine her up!

Started out cold this morning but was able to rough it at the beach eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4,741 ·
Replacing 1 Oxygen Sensor

Had a CEL on the RRC code 44 Lambda Sensor Left Bank (couldn't find any info differentiating a lambda sensor from a oxygen sensor) so ordered one NTK brand from rockauto. So that arrived Friday, I sprayed the o2 sensor to be replaced in PB Blaster and let it sit overnight. Saturday I proceeded to remove driver side oxygen sensor which upon bearing down on my wrench disintegrated leaving the threaded portion of the original sensor in the exhaust pipe. Realizing this would unfold like many of my previous experiences with working on British cars and take an entire day rather than a couple hours, I removed the Y-pipe. Thankfully my dad offered his assistance in getting the remainder of the old o2 sensor out of the threads with a drill bit and then chiseling the remainder of the threads out like an apple peel. Today is Sunday and my dad and I still couldn't get the new o2 sensor to thread in or start. Fiddling with small screwdrivers and files to try and clean out the threads still could not clean out the crusty threads enough. A trip to Elliot's Hardware for a M12 x 1.25 tap was a godsend on a Sunday as Home Depot did not have it, but we even had difficulty getting that to start in the old threads. So we devised a way to keep pressure on the tap with an Irwin clamp and re-tapped, cleaned the threads out. This was not until 4 or 5 today we had finally gotten this far. After that it was reassembly, I installed new studs in the manifolds. Hopefully that will keep the CEL off for sometime, had already replaced the passenger side o2 sensor which was not nearly this difficult.

Attachments

#4,746 ·
Finally got around to install the Series 2a-3 stop/tail light fixtures (RN #RNF199) as lower front park/directional lights on my ’94. Thanks to Zack for having the genuine fixtures and lens and including the male barrel pins needed to retrofit the hardness to plug into the factory harness. 5w bulbs (Slvania #5007) were used for the upper park lights match the lumens of the lower dual filament bulb perfectly. Weird how many tools you need to pull out on such a simple job.
Kudos to Mike at ECR for the idea to make this conversion.

Attachments

#4,747 · (Edited)
While still on jack stands from a long winters nap, I swapped out the 24 year old flexable brake lines for the SS braided Goodridge lines (thanks Zack!)
Along with an air compressor and vacuum pump, adding and bleeding the brake fluid was a total breeze!

Afterwords, I buffed the engine with a kitten and took it for a lovely spin...

Cheers...

Attachments

#4,750 ·
Removed my leaking power steering box which was a less than pleasant task even without rusty hardware. Nothing like a job that requires box metric and fractional tools to make things simple. Tried to remove the air cleaner base for easier access to the steering box but gave-up after realizing Land Rover must have built the body around it. One bolt was all but impossible to reach.

Anyone know a good source for a replacement? It's the type with a 6-bolt top plate (TRW marked on it) and I've not been able to find anything other than the 4-bolt versions.

(No idea why my photo comes-out in the wrong orientation- it's the right way up when I attach it.)

Attachments