Defender Source Forum banner

What have you done to your Defender today.

Tags
defender
768K views 6K replies 536 participants last post by  SadKingBilly 
#1 ·
Well this Thread is a very popular thread on a couple other forums that I frequent. So, I thought I'd give it a go on here too..

I after a little Blasphemous session got my new windscreen and seal installed.

See less See more
#4,611 ·
Got a dash control center and some gauges a oil psi, and a tachometer an EGT will be where the blank hole is

Attachments

#4,612 ·
Fixed my rattle/screech (bent break backing plate), going to remove them next..

Caused a swivel ball leak when i was resetting the front spring (where are my retainers?....) and i think fixed it - i had two loose seal backing plate bolts, the seals are 1 year old so should be ok.. just injected some dirt when i dropped the axle to reseat the spring.
Refilled and test drove it.. seems fine.
Reset wheel bearing play on the front, and greased everything up.. going to drive it again tomorrow and verify. Hopefully will not have to pull the swivel and reseal it since that is a bit of a pita.
I’ll be carrying spares now for all the seals though.

Oil and filter tomorrow, as well as greasing the rear up then i should be ready for the next i4wdta class i am doing (this time as a student) - I’ll drive it to hatterass this weekend to make sure its goos to go (and do some diving)

Life is momentum.. I’ll be home for a weekend at the end of July (maybe)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4,613 ·
I sprayed some primer and paint on a couple small rust spots on the rear cross member. Not really bad on surface rust dust really but need to cover it up a little before the salt air touches it.

I am replacing my soft top in the fall but my current folding soft top has mortise hinges for the rear section that needed replacing. Kind of hard to replace them when the "orginal" ones are not available in the size that I needed. BUT as luck would have it the ones that I got from McMaster-Carr fit perfectly with putting a 1/2" copper pipe fitting as a shim. I used JB Weld to hold it in.

I had a grounding issue with my left rear turn signal I made a new ground wife from the back of the light to the ground wiring already in the area and all works great. Just need to find a bulb as it seems like that bulb is on its way out. I swapped it out with the right side and the dimming/cloudy whiteness followed.

Happy to start driving it again as I do not like to drive it in the PA winter. Obviously.

#4,615 ·
Back to running an old school roller fairlead... I never get a straight pull... getting it fit was a bit more involved than I originally thought but now there is no chance of rubbing the line on the bumper metal.
(Sorry lav, 86’d the SDO one)

Also fit a 60” hi-lift... the 48” is really too short for a lifted truck. I did this on the hi-lift mounts replacing my homebuild ones and they are more out of the way for working on the engine.

Also got the ARB-Hi-lift adapter to slide into the handle (pita) so it also functions as a handle keeper.

Eventually the hi-lift will move to the custom tire carrier.

#4,619 ·
Finished Rear Crossmember and Hitch

Job complete with: New heavy duty 3mm crossmember, cut and rewelded pin hitch with new powder coat, hitch supports redrilled and mounted, new mudflaps/brackets, trailer receptacle drilled and mounted and everything installed with 3M cavity wax between all steel-on-steel components. Should be good for at least another 30 years! :cheers

Attachments

#4,623 · (Edited)
Currently had Disco steel wheels shod with 235/70-16 I took off my old Honda. Planning on a SOA swap to get it closer to level behind my D90. Then I anticipate swapping in some 5.5 rims and narrower tires.

I discovered today that I bust the lights. So there is another job.

Attachments

#4,624 ·
Drove the Defender across the river (high bridges) to get dinner with the wife and had the turbo elbow blow off and lose the hose clamp. A couple of zipties and a 4 mile slow, flat drive over to the auto parts store before they closed and I got a new clamp and go 'er home over the same tall, long bridges.

Should that have not worked, I would have robbed the hose clamp from the upper fuel filler hose and bodged it together.

Attachments

#4,626 ·
View attachment 391760

Bought 4 good condition Freestyles and 1 steelie spare for one of the trucks for 400 bucks.

Now have a complete titled D1 with rusty door sills and GEMS. Maybe a Defender 100 in my future.
Bought a $500 96 5 spd last week off E.NC craigslist. No spark no fuel. Switched ecu for one where alarm/imobilizer was turned off, still no joy. Plan is to use drive train in a 90.

#4,630 ·
Found a telescoping bottle jack that fits upright in a Perentie rear locker. At full extension, it still requires the acme screw to be extended, but my previous bottle jack was stored on its side in the locker. Didn't like that. Plus I carry a few blocks of wood to make up some height.

$67 at Grainger. 5 ton rating.

Attachments

#4,632 ·
Not my Defender today but the latest addition to the family circus!; the '95 RRC LWB!
In the past couple days I've been trying to civilize this neglected beast and it's been like deja vu with my Defender replacing things that are all too familiar like the viscous fan clutch and the oil cooler lines. This time I've encountered something I wish I had on my Defender, a power seat ECU! Only in 1995 they made them with a hardwired internal battery that did not last 22 years. So I'm off to find a replacement battery at my local computer repair shop. Hopefully those guys know a few sources for such unusual hardware.

Attachments

#4,636 ·
Installed Masai Tinted Front Windows.

Confirmed with my Sheriff-in-law that as long as it's not a film it's not illegal (also have DOT stamp on them).

Unfortunately Masai made a run of these by accident so they are NLA and I don't think they will be producing them again.

Also finished installing my Superpro Bushings in the front Radius Arms. I like the ride and I have to say they are pretty well engineered to eliminate the usual complains I have heard regarding Poly. Ride is certainly better but I think that has more to do with the Suspension (shocks/springs) and the alignment I had done.

Attachments

#4,637 ·
Installed Masai Tinted Front Windows.

Confirmed with my Sheriff-in-law that as long as it's not a film it's not illegal (also have DOT stamp on them).

Unfortunately Masai made a run of these by accident so they are NLA and I don't think they will be producing them again.

Wow, those look dark!
Any idea what % they are? How would that still be legal even if its not a film?
I don't think that would fly here in Virginia....probably make you change the windows.

#4,643 ·
Spent some time before and after work today installing my newly painted front fenders and cowl on the RRC. Again, not a Defender; but were it not for my Defender I would probably not be tackling this project. I did not paint the bonnet so was glad to see that the British Racing Green on it matches pretty close to the fenders and cowl which I did paint myself. Probably will repaint the bonnet later on. While I had the fenders off I wire wheeled any visible rust; sprayed with rust cure; primed, and covered with seam seal and painted over to protect against future moisture ingress. Interesting how similarly built these trucks are to my Defender, or Series, for instance.

Attachments

#4,645 ·
Added a duel USB plug, cup holder, fitted Bluetooth soundbox, replica SA80, and cleaned out a bunch of Iraqi mud clogging my AC drain tube

Attachments