Defender Source Forum banner

What going on with my radio?

Tags
radio
1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  1of40 
#1 ·
So, this may sound weird. When ever it is about to rain and the air is humid my FM/AM functionality goes to ****. I mean it crackles and the volume sucks. Overtime it typically comes back strong after it warms up or sort of dries out. Bright sunny hot summer days no problem. BTW, the Weather Band function never has this problem. In fact if I play the weather band for a few minutes and then switch to FM the FM function works for a minute or two but then crackles and fades out until things dry out again.

#4 ·
I'll have to double check. I've never noticed it before but that makes sense.

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2016 12:07 PM ------

I wonder if the antenna shielding is damaged. That being said, Im just going to leave this here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw -Jeff
geez, that's a great pull. You have talents my man.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Clay, the antenna on rovers ...wellll... we all know are not the best, one of the issues is because of the tuning
it is euro tuned...
another is lack of amplification and lastly lack of ground...aluminum is a poor ground conductor.

my first classic was an 87 , extremely bad reception and had had a roof mounted car phone antenna, I took advantage of the high location, located an amplified antenna and installed. reception became marginally better... one of those days while checking that antenna amplifier was properly wired, I found the antenna it self was not grounding correctly.
I took a piece of test wire with alligator clips, found a proper steel ground point and voila..I had am and fm nice and clear.
maybe the best a rover ever had... try it it may work for you too...

#14 ·
Clay, the antenna on rovers ...wellll... we all know are not the best, one of the issues is because of the tuning it is euro tuned... another is lack of amplification and lastly lack of ground...aluminum is a poor ground conductor. my first classic was an 87 , extremely bad reception and had had a roof mounted car phone antenna, I took advantage of the high location, located an amplified antenna and installed. reception became marginally better... one of those days while checking that antenna amplifier was properly wired, I found the antenna it self was not grounding correctly. I took a piece of test wire with alligator clips, found a proper steel ground point and voila..I had am and fm nice and clear. maybe the best a rover ever had... try it it may work for you too...
Thanks C$, can't hurt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.