What goes here?.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

What goes here?....

Can anyone tell me what type of relay I'm missing here on my fuse panel? I'm 99% sure something goes here. The truck hasn't been running. Several friends came over, over the last few months to help. I think it got removed and misplaced.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse panel missing relay.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	12815  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

nothing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Thanks Jimmy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Does it have fuel or spark?

I would start with checking both silver relays to see if they are operational as far as the no start issue. Can you hear the fuel pump run?
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Hi Ron! Thanks for asking. Man have I had some electrical frustrations with my D these past 6 months. In a previous thread, some of the guys suggested I pull out the distributor and replace it with a Mallory. I am hoping to do that in the summer, but needed a quick fix to get it thru an emmisions inspection this week. I threw in a new coil (the old one exploded), charged the battery and.....nothing...... So I'm not much of a mechanic but I'm 99.9% sure it's an electrical issue, and I noticed the missing relay. So I threw one in that fit from an old wiring setup that I had in the garage... I know it's crazy but as soon as I stuck it in I got the dash lights to kick on and VAROOOM, the truck started! I knew it wasn't the original relay, so I took it out, and the truck started again, no problem. So I'm all set right?....I took it for a loooong awaited ride thru town feeling like a king. Got gas, but a little birdie suggested I not kill the engine to pump. It drove a perfectly as it did when it was new. Here's the crazy part.... when I got home and shut down, it was DONE. Nothing electrical restarted, at all. I hooked a jump off of the Xterra, and still nothing. Then, I caught a faint beep of the "key in ignition" sound...but sounded like it was 100 feet away. zThat was 10 minutes before my wife and I had to meet friends out for dinner so I couldn't take more time to investigate. I know I have a 30amp fuse under the hood that blew the last time I was tinkering around. Maybe it's that.

I did notice that the coil got very very hot again after 30 minutes of driving, so the Mallary distributor is on the wish-list for summer.

The fuel pump runs fine.

I'm seriously thinking about gutting every inch of electial wiring out and start from scratch.

Sorry to vent. I won't have a chance to look at it again for 2 weeks.

-Steve
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:11 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
oh man frustrating. I feel your pain. Could be anything from alternator to some odd ground somewhere.. Just have to systematically test components. Its probably a few things at once. : (

good luck, keep us updated.

~Steve
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Solution: Sell D-90 to evilfij for $11,000. Let evilfij drive for a year or two. Repurchase D-90 for $13,000.

Everyone happy.
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ron - Does that mean you'll pay me 18 for yeastie?

On topic - its sux, but you just have to go through stuff - the aforementioned "yeastie" had a loose connection at the ECU relay - it looked good, but the connection was intermittent. Finally had to pull the wire from the connector and re-crimp - finally starts perfectly every time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 31st, 2008, 06:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You should have seen yeastie when I got her. She had only 7 injectors hooked up and idled at 2000 rpm.

I think the loose connection at the ECU relay was a result of the driveshaft hitting it from underneeth because she seemed fine before that aforementioned incident.

BTW there is an 05 elise for 26,500 with 34k on lotustalk.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:28 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Ron, I would seriously consider having you pick up my D90, take it home to PA with you for the summer and work on a couple of things (it would be a fair deal for both of us). And feel free to enjoy driving it! I don't have the time or patience (or much knowhow) to do the work myself, and since I'm saving up for a house and just paid off a painfully expensive wedding I'm flat broke, can't pay a mechanic much to look at it.

The D is in great shape overall. I just wish that I could stack a few kayaks on top, and some mt.bikes on the back and take off without having to worry that I'll stall out at the next red light and have my wife give me that look (you all know the look).

PS: I guess I should ask if you have any mechanical knowhow! Haha!

-Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions