What does proper fuel timing look like? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2014, 06:46 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
What does proper fuel timing look like?

I am fiddling with my fuel timing… trying to get it just right. Runs/starts easily. Pulls well depending on my fiddling.

I read around the internets.. and it talks about "more than usual" smoke of various colors. I've never owned a mechanical injection diesel, with no emissions control. I have no idea what "usual" is. I'm not even sure what a knock is in a clattery ol' diesel. I assume its a "tap tap tap"

When cruising, I should be seeing no smoke. I assume black is what I want to see when giving it "too much" pedal. I currently see… Just whisps of black when I am trying to keep up speed up a hill or do my best to keep from slowing down traffic when starting at a green light.

So, loud and knocking is advanced…
Quiet and super black smoke is retarded?
Tons of grey/blue smoke on acceleration is also advanced?
Knocking is bad for you…

So I just want to be, low amounts of black smoke, increasing with pedal under load, and only under "more pedal than it can use" acceleration, medium loud, no knocking?

(I think I've got a touch of knock right now under medium load turn injector pump clockwise while facing from radiator to retard?)

I think I've got this… just checking with the big brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2014, 06:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what engine ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

His registry says 2.5NA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2014, 07:09 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
what engine ?
Yea, 2.5na… but it should be fairly inconsequential. Any mechanical injection light duty diesel would be roughly the same yea? Barring any goofy quirks.
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
asked because I have ever known anyone with a na who thought their truck "Does 60mph rather quickly".

My advice would be to do nothing to the ip. The enemy of good is better. If the truck starts easily and seems peppy, these are things the lucas pumped 2.5 aren't exactly known for. Sounds like you have a good one.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 31st, 2014, 07:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
asked because I have ever known anyone with a na who thought their truck got up to 60 quickly.
Mine hauled ass down steep hills.
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:23 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
asked because I have ever known anyone with a na who thought their truck got up to 60 quickly.
Did I say that?

Oh.. well… quickly… as opposed to slower than i could. I mean, its faster to 60 than me on a bicycle…

Right now it'll get to and hold 60 fairly decently.. 0-40 is kinda crummy but 40-60 is not too too shabby. It doesn't accelerate much slower than i usually do in my 3.6 JK.

Difference being, I have plenty of pedal left on the JK to be polite and cut into traffic, the 2.5 is doing its best to go slowly. It seems to be a fairly fresh engine. Not new, but not worn out either. I don't know as it goes with the truck. Other people with 87 era 110s have engines painted different from mine. Mine is sand cast bare aluminum intake and a dark ruddy brown painted block with a black painted head.
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If it revs up freely to the limiter it is not too advanced. It will also ping too much. You want to find the max power point.

Put a good scribe line on the pump so you know where you start and try small changes until you find he best point.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:28 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
By revving freely, you mean it will otherwise hesitate or skip?

I think I'm close to the max power point... just trying to make sure I don't do more harm than good. Sometimes fastest is also shortest lived... sometimes the opposite.

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel