What does a Badger Half-Cab and Tonneau cost? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

What does a Badger Half-Cab and Tonneau cost?

Just wondering if you guys knew what the Badger Coachworks half-cab and tonneau cost, since a few of you guys are using these. Also, how does the half cab mate to the tonneau, and is the back of the cab removeable? What are your likes and dislikes about the setup? I realize I could have asked the guys at Badger, but I figured I would rather here what you guys that had the product have to say.

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2003, 12:14 AM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

The Badger half cab is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Ok maybe I'm a little too excited, but really love the half cab setup.
1. The half cab setup and tonneau are going to get pricey since you will probably need to buy the gutter kit and maybe the door seals if you don't have the fiberglass top. That's also the nice part about it b/c the half cab is more water tight than even the fiberglass top.
2. There is a metal piece that runs along the bottom of the drop curtain and bolts to the body, the curtain zips into it and the tonneau folds into it. (Watertight)
3. I would say that 75% of the time I run without the drop curtain.

Dislikes: the rear is less usable if you have the rear seat in b/c you can't fold it up unless you take the tonneau off, I just take the rear seat out.

Otherwise I'm really happy with the setup, I've had it for about 6 months and no problem and no desire to change to another top.
If it's in the budget go for it, it really gives the 90 a real soft top feel without hassle of taking on and off the full top.

Matt
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:36 AM
javelinadave
-
-

That is great Matt but you missed the most important part of the question. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ How Much !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2003, 01:09 AM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Sorry, I was trying to say that it really depends on the options you get with the kit, and which fabric you get. I would say anywhere between 1000 to 1800. Also I forgot to mention that it will be about 2-4 months between when you order the top and it arrives, but it's worth it.

Matt
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:03 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Hi Chris,

I called the guys at Badger to see what my top cost new so I would have an idea of what to sell it for a few months back and they quoted the following, I have a 97 so I already have the belt kit.

Drop curtain
Gutter kit
Tonnue
Misc other parts
Total $2100.00

I only owned the top for about 3 months since it came with the D90 and I converted it to using a pickup cab but here is what I thought about the top.

Pros:
Excellent quality
Good fit
Looks nice
Easy to remove
Little/no water leaks

Cons:
Small air gaps around the roll bar where the drop curtain connects.
Loud, like other soft tops when going above ~40
Plastic rear window = hard to clean and easy to scratch
Drop curtain does not go all of the way to the floor, so you get a lot of heat/cold/noise coming from the rear tub.
Rear seat is a pain to use

I think that the Badger top is the best soft top that I have ever seen and I have owned several on other 4x4ís, if I were to go with another soft top it would be the badger, but I would go with the full top and a drop curtain from Art, that way you could bring a passenger or put something in the back if you needed to.

But I must say that I love my pickup cab that I have now, The noise difference between the soft top and my truck cab are amazing, I can hear the radio on a low volume or talk in a normal voice to someone while going 65 MPH, heat and AC work great as it is such a small place to heat/cool.
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Maybe I am a CB, but $2100 is shiteload for that top! I am using SW doors, so would I still need the gutter kit?

Chris
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Seems strange that a Badger full ST is less than the half-cab and tonneau.
Old October 16th, 2003, 03:12 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yes, you would still need the gutter kit. Actually the half cab is $700 cheaper.
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have to admit, it looks bad ass though.

I will probably do one on my truck if he can make me one that will work without the NAS cage. I will have to figure out something

Randy
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:32 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Randy,

I thought you were installing a full hard top?
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:35 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am.. and a soft top..
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:09 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

ahhh,

I just thought maybe you had changed your mind and had an extra top sitting there that you could be talked into trading for a complete NAS ST cage/ Badger half cab

Oh well
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:13 PM
DBZ2009
Z
ex-1994 D90/ 2 j**ps

badger half cab

Dave,

do you still have the badger halfcab? I thought you sold it this summer.
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Well, it looks like I am a CB , too many other places to spend $2k on the truck, and will just be buying one of the LR surrey tops. If it gets too cold for me, I will just put on more clothes!

Chris
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:51 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Chris, I got a used Badger set-up this summer and I think it's AWESOME. I see that you decided to not help the MA economy, but.... if you do find a used one for sale, I found out that each Defender model year is a bit different. I bought a tonneau from a 95 and it didn't fit my 94. Talked with Chris at Badger and he explained it to me. Fantastic customer service, as I'm sure you'll hear from most everyone else. I really think you get what you pay for, if that helps ease the pain in opening up the wallet. I think he'd be more than happy to answer questions about them, even if you were buying used from someone else.

For others.... What does the gutter rail do? Is there something that fills the gap between the back of the window frame (on a ST) and the roll bar? That's the only place where water comes in. Oh yeah, except for where the water rolls off the top, around the top roll bar and onto my leg...
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:26 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

"do you still have the badger halfcab? I thought you sold it this summer."

Yep,

I still have the top, someone here in CO said they will take it, but a few things have come up for the person so I am holding it for them for a little while.
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM
DBZ2009
Z
ex-1994 D90/ 2 j**ps

half cab

dave,

how long will you be holding on to the top for the other party? If that guy backs out, I AM INTERESTED. I have a large number of suspension mods that I'll be putting on in about 3 weeks but after that, I will have time to fool around with looking for a new top. Let me know how it ends up with this other guy,

Joe Zoretic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
badger