What do you think this should cost? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson
None

What do you think this should cost?

Looking at buying 97 D90. Inspection report recommends replacing rear main cross seals, transmission cooler hoses and oil cooler hoses as all are leaking. Anyone have any personal experience replacing any of the above? What I'm looking is what you guys think these repairs should cost. I would welcome your opinions as the estimated cost of repair will help me decide what amount to offer the seller. The tech who did the inspection is not affiliated with a LR dealership and the price he offered up for the repairs seemed to me to be, well lets just say, a little on the high side.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Maintainence

All routine stuff on a 12 year old vehicle. Seals, gaskets, bushing, all prone to wear on these rigs. Id also recommend a independant assesment of the chassis as the trucks are all prone to rust in certain areas and knowing where to look is key when considering the purchase of one of these vehicles
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you have any mechanical ability, these are all things you could handle yourself.

If you take off the oil cooler lines and transmission cooler lines, you can take them rebuilt pretty reasonably. Plus, you can also change the fluids and etc.

Use the shops bid to negotiate with the owner, but do the work yourself. First replace the lines, but live with the rest so you can get to know the truck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is this the one in LA?
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson
None

Barry. Yes it is.

Forgot to mention the owner thought you were a nice guy who really knew a great deal about Defenders.
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson
Looking at buying 97 D90. Inspection report recommends replacing rear main cross seals, transmission cooler hoses and oil cooler hoses as all are leaking. Anyone have any personal experience replacing any of the above? What I'm looking is what you guys think these repairs should cost. I would welcome your opinions as the estimated cost of repair will help me decide what amount to offer the seller. The tech who did the inspection is not affiliated with a LR dealership and the price he offered up for the repairs seemed to me to be, well lets just say, a little on the high side.
Thanks.
If your worried, let me have Eddie from WCR inspect the vehicle for you. He will not do it for free, but worth every penny and you can get any repairs done at a good price before you ship the truck out. Thats my best advice.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:54 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Well as far as I am concerned you need the oil lines for sure. The transmission lines seem straight forward. Cross seals suck. I am shocked it needs them since the owners maintain the truck. If you want to buy the oil lines from trailhead I know some other shops that can do the work.

I assume they will reduce the price accordingly.
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:27 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Having Eddie from West Coast Rovers check out the truck is a great idea. Eddie is my mechanic and does a great job. He just got done doing some work or me and I was very satisfied. He had multiple 90's, a 110 , series truck, and some other land rovers when I was there last week. He knows his stuff.
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:39 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I hear good things about WCR but they are far from LA.
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:00 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

They are in Irvine right off the 5 fwy. I used to live in LA before I came to my senses and moved south to orange county. Its not to far to drive for a really good inspection by someone who knows Defenders well.
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:11 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I dont think the inspection is the issue. It is the work. The truck is coming from reputable seller

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze
They are in Irvine right off the 5 fwy. I used to live in LA before I came to my senses and moved south to orange county. Its not to far to drive for a really good inspection by someone who knows Defenders well.

LA rocks. I only go to Orange County for chain restaurants.
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
I dont think the inspection is the issue. It is the work. The truck is coming from reputable seller

Follow-up Post:

LA rocks. I only go to Orange County for chain restaurants.
LA is a lot like OC, only you get shot at for being white.

I would have Eddie inspect and do the work. Worth the drive and piece of mind. IMO.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
In my mind anything south of Bakersfield is El Eh.

-Jeff
Lol. I call anything west of Anahiem LA. It all sucks balls IMO.

South OC is the only place above Pendleton I would ever consider living. For now, I love Temecula. Drive is a bear though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am not white I am Jewish so I have no problems in LA
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson
Barry. Yes it is.

Forgot to mention the owner thought you were a nice guy who really knew a great deal about Defenders.
Clearly the owner lacks judgment, at least as far as the latter point goes.

BTW, just do the "cross seals" not the rear main. The cooler lines are not hard to do, although the parts themselves will set you back ~$80 a line or more depending on what kind you get and where you get them.

Ron
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Lol. I call anything west of Anahiem LA. It all sucks balls IMO.

South OC is the only place above Pendleton I would ever consider living. For now, I love Temecula. Drive is a bear though.
Amen Brother!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions