What do I need to know about rebuilt cylinder heads (non-LR) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2004, 12:53 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

What do I need to know about rebuilt cylinder heads (non-LR)

Hope you don't mind a non-Defender question here, but I have a question for all you smart guys.

On my non-Defender truck, one of my cylinders isn't holding pressure well at all. So I need a valve job. I've google'd Rebuilt Cylinder Heads and I find there are a ton of shops that rebuild them and ship. Comparing to the cost of a valve job at a local machine shop, it seems pretty economical. $250-ish for a completely rebuilt one with new valves and springs (and a 12 month/12k mile warranty) vs. $350-ish for a single-valve job.

Now both places cite pressure checks and machining that I wouldn't imagine could be that different in quality. So why the big difference in prices? Is there a big difference in valves, springs, bushing, etc? What sort of questions do you think I should be asking the guys on the phone about the replacement parts that they use, or anything else for that matter?

Appreciate the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There are some key things to ask for.

1. A 3 angle valve job gives better sealing and flow, but takes more work than a standard resurfacing. Worth the money.

2. Make sure that if you changed the camshaft, get the right springs to match the cam!

3. If the heads are magnafluxed, it can add more cost but increases the chances of finding cracks over just doing a pressure check. Worth the money if the pricier shop is doing it. No change in performance, but a far superior crack detection method.

4. Do they only machine the valve seats, or also mill the head face too?

5. How much is shipping? Who covers shipping for warranty work?

I'm sure the other guys here will have more info, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:36 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Hans, Thanks for the info. That really helps the stuff I've read and heard make more sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions